Notices

kick myself for taking that first drink..

Old 05-17-2008, 07:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

kick myself for taking that first drink..

ive just finished day 4 sober. my story is pretty typical...ive been a drunk for several years, basically a non-functioning drunk for 18 months or so..

everyday i regret taking that first drink...many years ago. hell, i cant even remember it. i should have known what i was getting in to. my parents were alcholics...grandparents...all the way back to great-grandparents. my family tree is littered with alcoholics.

what made me think i was any different? what made me think i could 'handle it'? i guess i thought i was smarter...or more disciplined blah blah blah.

turns out i wasnt. i should have seen it coming from a mile a way.

i was a heavy smoker. i quit cold turkey years ago. this alcohol thing has it beat. im only on day 4 and i can already tell it is going to be a real bitch to conquer...
Old 05-17-2008, 08:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Certified Scrabble Cheat!

WooHoo. Four days. Way to go.

No need to for me to sugarcoat any of this for ya, cause if it looks and smells like it, then guess what Boodro? Don't step in it!!

But you have made a major league step toward kicking that monkeys' hinney. Just stay on board and let us know how you are.

Daddio
Old 05-17-2008, 08:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

CP77, I'm sure you've heard the saying, alcohol is cunning, baffling and powerful.

I'm sure there are very few people who, before they pick up their first drink, sit and weigh the Family History of alcoholism.

I didn't. There is also a strong history of alcoholism in my Family. Looking back, every get together my Family had included alcohol. Christmas & eggnog, Labor Day, 4th of July, Memorial Day, coolers full of beer, Easter & Thanksgiving Dinner's always had a few different choices of fine wine . . .

And then when alcoholism came to be something that began to pop up in families, we seem to think, like with so many other things in life,

"It's not going to happen to me."

But, it has. Don't focus on being angry at yourself, that will keep you drinking. Just focus on One Day at A Time.

Congratulations on Day 4. Just keep doing what you're doing.

God Bless,
Judy

Old 05-17-2008, 08:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Claude

You couldn't have seen it. Even if you had, you were far too powerful, too omnipotent, like all the rest of us.

I've had deep conversations with my kids. So they know. But they too, are omnipotent. Time will tell. They are very smart, very accomplished. But not omnipotent.

Don't beat yourself up. The present needs all your resources. The script hasn't played out yet and only you can write the ending. That is the only thing you can change.

warren
Old 05-17-2008, 09:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

i should have seen it coming from a mile a way.
How could you see it coming? It usually gets us with a sucker punch.
Old 05-17-2008, 09:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It gets scary when you cant point out the first drink anymore. Its the one after sleep i suppose. It tends to creep up on ya all right. I hear ya brother. Good luck
Old 05-19-2008, 10:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Certified Scrabble Cheat!

How's it going today ClaudePepper77??????

Daddio