Notices

Daddio's Story

Old 05-17-2008, 12:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Certified Scrabble Cheat!

Daddio's Story

Back when I was in the sixth grade I was starting to hang out with apretty rough crowd of guys. We smoked, drank, shoplifted and learned how to fight. I could see where it was going, but didn't realy care. Then for some reason, my parents decided it was time to move to a neighboring city. No doubt, the best thing that could have happened to me.

Yet, something happened during that transition. The people I was hanging out with before, however wayward, were still my friends. In this new environment, I was slow to gain new friends. Not a social outcast mind you. Just a tad apprehensive. Along with that, I brought my addictive behavior with me. I continued to smoke and drink. Drinking cost me the student body president spot in the ninth grade when the principal found booze in my Jeep. I even used to drink in class. Never got caught.

I made it through HS. then Jr. College, the a major University with a degree in Engineering. Was by that time a very social person. Well adjusted as some would say. Nonetheess, still drinking and smoking and smoking pot. I think I failed to mention that I also did peyote, LSD, cocaine, pot, and mushrooms. All on regular basis.

But I became a well known figure in the local scene. President of this, chairman of that. Picture in the paper. Upwardly mobile at my place of employment. All the while, alcohol was part of daily life. That was back in the mid-80's. Fast forward through to the mid 00's. Two marriages later. Neither one ending as a direct result of the booze. Also, six jobs later. Agian, none lost due to the alcohol. I can say that with total honesty. No denial problems. Downsizing, business closings, poor management of small a small company. But never because of booze. The position I just left in Dallas, Texas had me managing multi-million dollar construction projects. Even won national and international awards for the jobs I managed.

I have never been arreted. Never even been inside of a jail. Never had a DUI. Went 30 years bewteen speeding tickets. Haven't been involved in an accident in 25 years. Never woke up in a dumpster. But all the while drinking booze every day.

I have a 25 year old son about to get his Masters Degree from FSU. He's never had a ticket or been involved in an accident. He doesn't do drugs and drinks very little.

My long winded point is that a small habit became a very large habit. For the 8 or so years prior to my last drink, I was consuming 60 ounces of vodka a day on the weekends. But only about 36 ounces during week nights. WooHoo. That would be up to 40 drinks at a bar!!! Of course, I drank from a 16 oz glass, so I didn't take long to get there.

The booze was taking its toll. My body was just saturated. My brain synapses were misfiring causing me problems with my driving. My "sober" DRIVING that is. I never drove while snockered. I made sure sure that I had everything I needed before getting after it. I had developed a dibilitating fear of driving over bridges. I couldnt even remember how to to play my guitar. The chords made no sense. And I couldn't recall how a C, of D or E was fingered.

Without a photo trail of some of my outings I couldn't remember who or what. So after comimg to one Sunday, I just told myself that enough was enough. I was tired of the fog, the wooziness, the constant smell of booze vapor on my body and breath. I was tired of me being out of control.

I prayed to God for his healing mercy. I knew that I needed a power much higher that any mere mortal could give me. This was not some new found shout out. God has been a close buddy of mine for quite some time. I just never really asked for his help with this problem. I quit cold turkey with never, ever having tried before. No doctors, no AA, no nobody. The first night was different. The second was better. By the third and fourth and fifth nights I was sleeping like a baby with no side effects. No DTs. I had tests run afterwards and my doctor told me that I had no trace of ever taking a drink of alcohol. Heart, lungs, liver, brain are all fully functional and in good health.

That was 572 days ago and I am still sober. I think about it every day and am around it all the time. But by the grace of God and God alone, I kicked that habit. Now I was about three months before the hangovers quit. It took a little over a year for my brain to start firing correctly. But here I sit. Reading all of the stories about all of my fellow journeymen and how I just wish everyone could just turn it off as I did.

I thank the folks here at SR for the space to tell my story. It is important to me. As has I have a different take than most.

God bless each of you. And I wish each of you peace in your journey

Daddio
Old 05-17-2008, 01:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! That was very inspiring Daddio and I for one really appreciated hearing your story.
Old 05-17-2008, 01:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Good story. Thank you for posting it. I have had people tell me that I will definitely relapse if I do not attend AA and work the steps. I still haven't decided on whether to do AA, but I am glad to hear that everyone who doesn't won't die a drunk.
Old 05-17-2008, 03:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Good for you....
Old 05-17-2008, 03:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
mle-sober

Daddio,

As a child, the grownups who cared for me believed completely in miracles. The word, "miracle" was a word that was used freely. I believed it though. Deeply. When I grew up and began to question my experiences - many of which were rather horrendous and many of which were sublime - I had to question the concept of a miracle and the truth behind that. I have to say, even after I waded through the parts of my childhood that were filled with deception, ego and self-absorbtion on the part of the grow-ups, I still believe in miracles.

I've just been in too many circumstances were there were sudden and unanticipated shifts in the spirit - where it felt both in my body and my heart as if I were being opened or somehow allowed to glimpse something that doesn't really have adequate words. I've been present and seen others be moved to speak in tongues (both my mother and my brother speak in tongues after praying for the gift - it sounds like no other language I've ever heard.) And I've been moved myself, during or after prayer, to do and feel generous things about which my heart had been harded against previously.

I can only call what you experienced a miracle. And I'm very happy you shared it with us and that you experienced it. If you don't feel like it is a miracle, I hope I don't offend you by saying that's what it looks like to me.

For me, quitting drinking has been the most difficult thing I've ever done. And I've had my trials, believe me. And I don't know why God didn't see fit to lift my alcoholism away from me the way he did for you. I don't resent it in any way - don't get me wrong. But I am a little anxious for others reading your thread and in particular this part:
"I prayed to God for his healing mercy. I knew that I needed a power much higher that any mere mortal could give me. This was not some new found shout out. God has been a close buddy of mine for quite some time. I just never really asked for his help with this problem. I quit cold turkey with never, ever having tried before. No doctors, no AA, no nobody."

I know you are not saying that this will happen for everyone. That all everyone need do is pray to God and don't worry about the detox or having a plan for support. What it sounds like to me is you are giving witness to your healing. And that can only be good. And I hope I'm not over-thinking this. I probably am. I have that habit. But I hope other newcomers reading your story will know that your story is true and at the same time their story is their own. And will be unique to them. Their path might have similarities but will also be uniquely their own path.

When I was a little girl, my family was friends with another familiy who didn't believe in doctors, only prayer for healing. Their small child died of the croup while they prayed over her. A simple visit to the doctor could have prevented it.

Hopefully without offense,

MLE
Old 05-17-2008, 04:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Certified Scrabble Cheat!

Thank you for sharing that with me (us) mle-sober. Absolutely no offense taken.

Some people I know feel as though this is a strong case for the mysterous healing powers of God. i.e., a miracle. I do not profess to be a speaker in tongues or know of any that do. I do not wish to use this forum to press my views of my Christian faith. Merely to tell people of my life past and present. The fact that I am a believer is just part of my story. I'm just a regular guy living a simplified life.

What happened to me happened. Can it happen to others? I don't feel that I am unique in any way. I share with your thought that most need to seek medical counsel prior to embarking on such a step. And of course follow that up with ongoing meetings with both professional and non-professional guidance.. The route I took seems to be working for me.

I just hope that I have not offended anyone's religious convictions. If I have, I offer my humble apology.

Daddio
Old 05-18-2008, 07:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Daddio, thanks for sharing! I enjoyed reading it!!! And, you know it didn't offend ME!

Honu