Notices

I cant quit.

Old 05-16-2008, 11:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I cant quit.

Im on beer 3 as I sit here in front of my laptop in my appartment that I share with 3 other guys, 2 of which are alcoholiocs with no desire to quit. Im in a program called "transitional housing", basicly its a program that takes homeless people off the street and gives them a place to stay for up to a year so they can get their life together. People are not allowed to drink here, but the people who run the program dont watch us too close.

My beer belly weighs about 40 lbs now, my roomate is also a severe alcoholoc, (2 bedroom apt, 2 people per room) he offered to sell me a small tool set for $5 today so he can get a drink, I already bought his bicycle off him for $10 last week so he could drink.

I will never be able to quit drinking when I am around other alcoholics, but going back to the streets is the only other option and I dont think I can do any better fighting my disease there either.

I get SSI disability, I think I spend about $300 a month on alcohol, I drink every single day I have money in my pocket, this morning I bought a six pack and a 24oz can, then I ate and took a nap- I woke up at 6pm, went to store and bought 12 pack and a 24oz can, which I am drinking now.

I want so badly to quit, but I dont have the strength or willpower, Ive tried sooooo many times.. I make it a day or 2, then I need a drink badly.

Im on the path of drinking myself to death, just like 2 people I know who have.

Life sux
Old 05-17-2008, 12:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Hi..welcome.
Have you ever thought of going to treatment and then sober living?
Then you could kill 2 birds with one stone.
Old 05-17-2008, 12:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Welcome to SR! GLad you are here! Are you sure there isn't anyplace else you can go...Salvation Army..or someplace else that might could help? Don't give up. There is a way out.
Old 05-17-2008, 02:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to sR....

Have you considered AA?
That's where I began my new sober life.

Please keep posting with us...we do know how
difficult getting and staying sober is.
Old 05-17-2008, 03:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You can quit. I thought I never could, but did. You already have the desire to stop. i'd try AA, as Carol said, or either of the suggestions offered by Chiynita and Angelina. Also, it seems that the program that set you up in the housing must have some sort of mechanism to help. I'd talk to the program manager about your situation. Maybe he/she can help. Keep posting here and believe you can do it. Start by changing your screen name - you are not a bum.
Mike
Old 05-17-2008, 04:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

bum4, welcome to the family...

your name reminded me of what someone shared sometime ago...

the difference between a bum and a hobo?

a hobo will work, a bum will just keep bumming...

bum4, be try to be a hobo, and work towards recovery...

you can do it, many way worse off then your situation have succeeded...

good wishes hobo4

rz
Old 05-17-2008, 07:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Let go, let God.

Welcome to SR. I'm thinking you should look for an AA meeting right away. You will meet others that understand and can offer you information on resources that can get you out of the situation you're in today.

God Bless.
Old 05-17-2008, 08:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Certified Scrabble Cheat!

Welcome. Bum4evr. Let me think this through. God has blessed you with creativity (Cool screen name). God has blessed you by getting you off of the street. God has blessed you by making sure that you have money in pocket. God has blessed you by giving you a tool to reach out to us here at SR (Via your computer). God has blessed you with transportation (a bicycle). God has blessed you with intelligence (You know that you are in the wrong environment to get sober). Life sux?

Would you like for me to continue?

The road to recovery starts with that first moment when your brain tells you that you want to quit the madness. That is you telling you that you have had enough. Now you must continue on with that process. Call your housing sponsor today and tell them what is going on. They need to pony up and do their jobs. Pour that beer down the drain, take a shower, shave, floss your teeth, go to a movie, call somebody, take some of your cash and buy a new Bible, go to the hobby store. Whatever Just begin to make changes in your life that will break the cycle that you are in. I know that you can do it. And I will pray that God gives you the strength that you need to succeed....

Keep us informed here at SR. Let us know how you are doing.

Daddio
Old 05-19-2008, 10:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I know exactly how you feel. Doing the same insane things over and over. I am on day 2 again here for the millionth time. Something good must still be left in us if we keep wanting what is right.
Old 05-19-2008, 06:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Once I realized I had no control over my drinking that is when I knew I had to do something.

You have lost people to alcohol, so have I, even that didn't help me but it is when you finally understand you are killing yourself that you have an
amazing chance to save yourself. That's how it was for me and that is
what I continue to remind myself.

You can't control the others drinking around you and they are not you and cannot control you. Only you know what is right for you.

Sometimes when things are really hard and at rock bottom, that is when the light goes off in your head and once it does you have all the strength in the world.

My friend who died of liver failure at age 30 explained to me close to the end of his life how he had no desire to stop drinking and it was his choice. Yes it was and the inevitable happened.

Your message is full of hope and a desire to live. Think of yourself in a parallel universe, if you like, and step into the other side. I've told myself
I will try it out for at least 2 years and see how it fits by comparison.
Do it while you still have a choice. If you think
you are in a hell hole now imagine yourself sober in it! No it won't be worse-
your sobriety will be the one thing that gets you Back to the
land of living. ANd you will be soooo proud of yourself for doing it in
the hardest of times!