Notices

Financial Stresses and the trigger they bring, any tips?

Old 05-16-2008, 06:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Financial Stresses and the trigger they bring, any tips?

I'm going on day 3 after years of trying to quit.

I'm trying to deal with the debt that I've brought on myself. I owe,... A LOT of money to CC's and Taxes.

I know CC's are horrible, I don't know how I got myself so dug into them. I bought expensive cars and an expensive house that I shouldn't have, and then of course had to fill it with ridiculously priced stuff on shopping trips with afternoon brunches and cocktails before shopping.

I have my own business now for 5 years, but it's starting to really feel the money crunch from my screwups and missing work, and the slowing of the economy, we're struggling.

I know this is the ABSOLUTE last time I should be thinking about drinking, that is what got me here. I have to buckle down and get back on track.

It sucks because when I get stressed out about money and start feeling all doom and gloom is when I want to drink to forget about it and just vedge out.

But it's like someone in another post said,

There's no day so bad, a drink couldn't make it worse
My other problem is my wife has become accustom to our spending habits,(my fault) and it's causing a lot of friction when I try to limit our spending now. I don't have an option so it has to be limited, which leaves me with an unhappy wife and arguments, more stresses.

Anyway, anyone have any tips for helping me focus and digging ourselves out of debt? Above all else I do not want to lose my company. I would lose my house and cars before that. But I don't want it to come to that either.

thanks
Old 05-16-2008, 06:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

What I can tell you for sure, is that early recovery involves a lot of hard choices. How about sitting down with your wife and making up a budget, so you both know exactly where you stand?

In my opinion, posessions are just posessions. I would readily give up the car and move to a smaller house, rather than be stressed by debt.

Good for you on Day 3!
Old 05-16-2008, 06:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

I owed many tens of thousands when I got clean and it ate me up. The advice I got was to work out what I could do and talk to all the creditors, banks credit card companies ... I did and kept to the arrangements or if I couldn't, contacted them and made a new arrangement.

Three years later and I have paid off more than half the debt and I am managing the rest and I don't have it it my head or yapping at my heels anymore.

I stopped using, asked for help, took that help and did what was suggested and still do and I have a life that is so wonderful and even these days. I wish you the same.

Kevin
Old 05-17-2008, 03:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Big messes can be straightened out
as long as you stay sober and clear headed.

All the best as you untangle this situation.
Old 05-17-2008, 04:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

JSG, echo of whats been said...

drink'n aint gunna bring in the moolah!

it will help deplete it!

try to turn over those financial fears...

good wishes

rz