Made it through 1st court date!!! ;-)

Old 05-13-2008, 10:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Made it through 1st court date!!! ;-)

Hey All,

Thanks for the thoughts and prayers for my court date.

I made it through, I didn't get out as easy as I hoped but she didn't get what she wanted either. I've got to pay some attorney's fees for her and temporary alimony.

Her lawyer tried to make me out as controlling for my stance against her alcoholism, I think I handled it well, of course he tried to rattle me.

He made the statement that I liked to control my wife and on the night we split that I was angry she had defied me my drinking. I told him "No, my issue with alcohol was not a control issue, it was a boundary I'd set for myself that I would not stay in the marriage if she continued to get drunk. It had nothing to do with controlling my wife."

The lawyer was not sure what to say in response, so he said "no further questions".... :-)

I feel good right now, I'll admit - I was scared to death of what might happen! But it went OK, I've got to come up with some money that I don't have but other than that it was 'fair'. AMEN AND THANK YOU LORD!

Peace and blessings all!

TD

*** On a side note, what a horrible job as a divorce lawyer to make someone seem evil without knowing them. He tried like crazy to pin me down and make me out to be a horrible person. I don't think I could sleep at night if I was him.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm glad you're through it, and it sounds like it went pretty well. I think your response to the lawyer was fantastic!!!

Now, maybe, you can put your focus on YOU and what you want from life

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 05-13-2008, 10:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Glad you made it through! Been reading your posts. I am glad I never got married to my A...:bounce
Old 05-13-2008, 10:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Originally Posted by TDinATL View Post
I don't think I could sleep at night if I was him.
Denial and a mattress stuffed with $100 bills, I am sure he sleeps ok.
Maybe a few drinks for a nightcap after his few drinks with dinner and a few more while watching the game.... Yes he maybe gets some sleep *LOL*
Old 05-13-2008, 11:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Glad to hear you made it through...Keep trucking in the right direction for you...Bless you
Old 05-13-2008, 11:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Wasn't is Shakespeare who suggested we kill all the lawyers? You did great, TD! Saying you had boundaries must have left him rattled - LOL!!! A healthy response to a divorce attorney - and he couldn't handle that! I LOVE IT!!!
Old 05-13-2008, 11:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

:rof yes too funny the attorney not being able to handle a "healthy response" oh well!

Keep moving forward TD! Your doing great
Old 05-13-2008, 12:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Very pleased for you TDinATL

You sound like you did very very well, congrats!

Onward and upward
Old 05-13-2008, 12:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sister of Alcoholic

Yes, I think some lawyers are inherently evil by trade (some, not all).

Good for you for really sticking to your boundaries and for not giving in! Great!
Old 05-13-2008, 02:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm glad it went so well. (hugs)
Old 05-13-2008, 05:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

GREAT answer. Good for you!
Old 05-13-2008, 05:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
play the tape all the way thru

Glad you got through it TD!!
Old 05-13-2008, 08:32 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

*** On a side note, what a horrible job as a divorce lawyer to make someone seem evil without knowing them. He tried like crazy to pin me down and make me out to be a horrible person. I don't think I could sleep at night if I was him.
Ahhhh but you have to remember that he doesn't 'know' your wife, and we alkies can be real good at selling refrigerators to Eskimos and crappy used cars to the unsuspecting. So, if she kept herself even 'halfway together' when she would meet him (and yes practicing alkies can hold it together for short periods, lol) she may have 'buffaloed' him like she did you and others. Based on what 'she told' him he probably did believe that you were controlling and in her mind you were.

That is 'her' reality not the 'real reality.'

I guess I have just learned not to be so judgemental and look at all sides of a situation, and he was doing his job.

Sorry it didn't go as well as you hoped, but am very glad it didn't go as bad as you thought it might.

Love and hugs,

P.S.

I told him "No, my issue with alcohol was not a control issue, it was a boundary I'd set for myself that I would not stay in the marriage if she continued to get drunk. It had nothing to do with controlling my wife."
GREAT ANSWER and great job at keeping your wits about you!!!!!!
Old 05-13-2008, 09:05 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
play the tape all the way thru

Originally Posted by TDinATL View Post
This is their job...divorce and family law are very cut throat. I've worked for a criminal defense lawyer, and family law lawyer, as well as having my own family law lawyer; not to mention having to defend myself for quite a long time against my son's A father's lawyer (wow that was a confusing sentence )
Old 05-13-2008, 09:29 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

First...Congrats on your court date going well!!!

Second...in defense of the lawyers of the world...don't take it personally. He really is just doing his job. I can honestly say from a lawyer's perspective, and I'm not a divorce attorney, if a client had come in and said someone put their hands on them (they being a woman and you being a man), I would think the same thing of you if I didn't have the full story. Also, I know you sent her an email saying you did not regret it. He undoubtedly read that. The point being, he is her advocate. He cares nothing about you. His job is to get her what she is seeking. Is it slimy? Yes! BUT he would not be doing his job if he didn't use that evidence against you.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:42 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

:-) I know, I know, he's just doing his job for his client... I just didn't care for it being directed at me! In his shoes I'd think the same thing of me I'm sure, my AW can be quite convincing as a victim.

I think he tried to segway into the email you mentioned, NYC Chick, he asked me if I thought I acted appropriately that night and I said "Yes" he paused and asked again and I said, "Yes sir, in the circumstances I acted as appropriately as I could." This was after we'd both told our versions of what happened. I imagine the fact that what I said didn't contradict the email probably helped me. I was told this would be their key piece of evidence but it wasn't even mentioned.

I really prayed this up, and many others were praying with me, I simply prayed for God's justice and fairness. He came through for me as he always does!

Thanks for reading my posts and sharing with me, SR has been instrumental in my healing process.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:57 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

TD......perfect response. Good job!
Old 05-14-2008, 06:08 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Good job, TD.

Better days are ahead!

Cats
Old 05-14-2008, 05:32 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

TD - Excellent response! Sounds like an angel was on your shoulder in there : )