"But the great spirit has provided you
and me with an opportunity for study
in nature's university, the forests, the
rivers, the mountains, and the animals
which include us."
---- Walking Buffalo, STONEY

What we really need to learn is how to live life. Nature is the
greatest university when we want to learn about balance, har-
mony, the Natural Laws and how to live life.

But we will never learn unless we spend time in the "living uni-
versity." Nature is full of examples, lessons, and exercises about
life.

Nature will help humans learn. Nature will help humans heal. Nature
will help with Medicine, knowledge and healing. The reason our
Elders are so wise is because they have attended the right edu-
cational system - nature's university.

Great Spirit, help me to become wise.
Old 05-13-2008, 03:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

I don't usually post the Elder's Meditation on here, however, this one has been a great help to me in life and in improving myself. My Doctor's Certified Nurse Practionier also has an MD as a Holistic Medicine.

When I am truly troubled it is back to nature I go. Hike in the Gila Mountains or, sit on my front porch and calm myself with the beautiful view of the Dona Ana Mountains, or take the dogs down to the Rio Grande River for a nice walk and play in the water. All is soothing to my soul and brings me back inner calmness.

When I respect the earth, somehow it helps my self respect. Oh I'm not some "Eco Freak" lol, but I have found that helping the ground, giving the life that comes out of the ground the nutrients it needs, ie watering my trees, replacing the nutrients used when I garden with compost from the compost pile, etc somehow this too is soothing and helps with my self respect. Planting native plants that were removed by construction, and destruction by developers, etc

Nature is not just about the ground it is about all living things. I have had the privilege of watching wolves up close and personal both in the wild and in two different refuges. When one in the pack is injured the others gather around to help, comfort, lick the wound and bring the injured one food.

That is what taught me to give assistance to he sick, to go to nursing homes to visit those that no longer get visitors, to bring a neighbor good old fashioned home made chicken soup when they are down or sick. To volunteer at the NO Kill Animal Resuce here, and work with different breed rescue groups, etc.

Just one of the few things that Nature has taught this gal.

Hope the meditation can help others as it has helped me.

Thanks for letting me share it.

Love and hugs,
Old 05-13-2008, 04:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Nature is not just about the ground it is about all living things. I have had the privilege of watching wolves up close and personal both in the wild and in two different refuges. When one in the pack is injured the others gather around to help, comfort, lick the wound and bring the injured one food.
Laurie, this is lovely to read this morning. It reminds me of Rudyard Kipling's poem about wolves, in which he says "The strength of the wolf is in the pack and the strength of the pack is in the wolf." Recovery is like that, each one of us growing stronger with the help of the group and each group growing stronger with help of each individual.

Nature grounds me, centering myself in nature is a form of meditation that brings me serenity. Nature makes sense, it has it's seasons and it's promise of continuity. I am lucky enough to live on the water where I watch the birds awake each morning and listen to their symphony of songs. I have lovely foxes in the forest next to where I live, who walk along the shore showing off their babies this time of year and who are among the least aggressive animals I have ever seen.

Thank you for this reminder that God loves all His creatures and only asks that we live peacefully with each other.

Come sit a while and share my view this morning.

Old 05-13-2008, 05:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Laurie - thanks for a great post. I went to a state park a couple weeks ago to relax. Watching the waterfalls, walking down the hiking path...it all made my struggles seem so small.

Ann - I love your view. Years ago when I worked for an airline, we had some foxes flown in. I'd never been that close to one and didn't realize what beautiful animals they were. I'd always wanted a fox fur coat, but if I ever get one, it will definitely be fake fur.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 05-13-2008, 05:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks Laurie.
Old 05-13-2008, 05:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

"It's not right raising kids so far from nature. I suppose your boys and girls have never seen pu$$y willows (I cant believe that word gets censored!), robins building nests, or grass covered hills. This pavement is fine for cars, but it is hard medicine for children. Hills are always more beautiful than stone buildings, you know. Living in a city is an artificial existence. Lots of people hardly ever feel real soil under their feet, see plants grow except in flowerpots, or get far enough beyond the streetlights to catch the enchantment of a night sky studded with stars. When people live far from scenes of the Great Spirit's making, it's easy for them to forget his laws."
~Walking Buffalo
Old 05-13-2008, 11:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

that's truth.
what I just read.

and it's why I live in Montana.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

I went and read up on this fella = I like this one:

Being half good and half bad takes neither effort nor skill.
But being a man of peace requires bravery.