Notices

I Think I Am Bipolar

Old 05-12-2008, 05:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
On The Bus

I Think I Am Bipolar

Two weeks ago I went to my pdoc and told him the Buspar is really not doing anything for my anxiety and the Zoloft barely helps with the depression.

So he suggested cognitive behavioral therapy and as an afterthought he mentioned something about Lamictal is something he might try if my depression does not lift.

So for the first time in my life I really tried to tune in to how or what I was/am feeling. I was shocked to discover that during the day I have noticed I am either anxious or depressed. And the best way I can describe it is a feeling of bouncing back and forth between the two.

Lamictal kind of scares me what with rashes and other side effects. I cannot believe it has taken me this long to zero in on how I feel during the day.

Comments are welcomed from bipolar experts!!!!!
Old 05-12-2008, 05:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Welcome to our mental health forum.

Lamictal is a medication I take. I have experienced no side effects from it. I have been on it for a couple years now. The rashes are a rare occurrance although they can be serious or fatal if not treated. Just be aware that if you are put on Lamictal to be sure to report any signs of a rash immediately to your prescribing doctor. It has worked well for me. But I do have to be sure that it is balanced with my other meds.
Old 05-12-2008, 06:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
To Life!

Bozo, have you read the piece from the NY Times in the sticky above?
It's VERY informative!
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-ny-times.html
Another one is this:
Bipolar II, Mood Swings without Mania; Brain Tours; Stress and Depression; Hormones and Mood; and more...

I know it's a lot of information at once. Try to work your way through it a bit at a time, maybe? It's really good info and should help you discern if you need to talk it over with your doctor more. The second link has more on the bipolar spectrum disorder -- the newer way of looking at it. And feel free to ask as many questions as you need.

But, why do you think you are bipolar?

Shalom!
Old 05-14-2008, 10:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A picture's worth a 1000 words

Bozo....I'm all about people getting properly diagnosed and not having to live their lives with mental illnesses they were never aware of....

But, as we like to say around here....none of us are "experts". We are all just normal people suffering with similar issues and sharing our experiences.

From what you've mentioned...it seems a little early to know for sure. Everyone's moods fluctuate daily. That's just part of being human. It's when there are extremes involved that it brings things into a different light.

If you think you are bipolar....a proper diagnosis is key to your future mental health. I'd suggest the links HistoryTeach provided for some initial info...

BUT the BEST resource I've personally EVER come across for bipolar disorder is the book called "A Brilliant Maddness" by Patty Duke. I can't ever say enough about how it helped me get a grasp on my illness and what type of bipolar disorder I had....and well....it helped me in a million different ways.

It's also really inexpensive, as far as books go. A new copy at the bookstores is only $7.95 or something like that. You could probably get a copy even cheaper through Barnes and Noble online. I've bought several used books online through them at really awsome prices.

Anyway....then, if you have insurance, I'd suggest schedualling a full mental health evaluation with a clinical psychologist. I spent several hours with the psychologist who evaluated me and I found it all to be really helpful (and plan on having another one done soon with a different doc since it's been several years ago).

Anyway, I'm on Lamicatal too....and recently realized how much it helps my depression.

Also....if this is a general physician who suggested it....I'd HIGHLY recommend going to see a psychiatrist for any head meds.

Hugs and best wishes,
Jenna
Old 05-15-2008, 12:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

oops sorry, wrong thread.
Old 03-01-2009, 05:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
To Life!

Bozo,
What did you find out here?
Did your doc put you on the lamactil?
Did you read the above mentioned sources?
And did you ever become diagnosed with bipolar disorder spectrum?

I'd love to hear more from you since you've shown up again!

Shalom!