Wondering about my name

Old 05-10-2008, 08:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Wondering about my name

While this seems a little off topic, it sort of isn't.

Most of my friends call me "Gin", not "Ginger". Half the time when I post, I keep wanting to sign off as "Gin", but given the nature of this board and the issues it deals with, it seemed kind of insensitive of me to sign off with my shortened name.

What do you all think? If I ended my posts with ~Gin would it look like a liquor advertisement? Right now, I just don't sign anything, and leave it blank except for my Mother Theresa quote. But I catch myself having to delete out my name pretty regularly.

~Gin(ger)
Old 05-11-2008, 12:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Speaking for myself, I'd be honored to call you Gin, if that is how your friends address you, and if you're willing to have us as friends at that level too! My friend Jennifer liked to be called Jen, so Gin seems natural enough to me. Besides, your screen name is quite clear in letting us know where your nickname comes from. Welcome Gin!
Old 05-11-2008, 12:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Gin- You is what you is and what you is or are is an honest person with a desire to better her life. Do you think if someone named Jim Beam comes along we should ban him? No! Be proud of your name. It's yours!:ghug2
Old 05-11-2008, 12:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GingerM View Post
While this seems a little off topic, it sort of isn't.

Most of my friends call me "Gin", not "Ginger". Half the time when I post, I keep wanting to sign off as "Gin", but given the nature of this board and the issues it deals with, it seemed kind of insensitive of me to sign off with my shortened name.
~Gin(ger)
I don't think we're that sensitive.
Old 05-11-2008, 04:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey Gin!

I'm Toddy (not as in "hot toddy" - ha ha)

My "given" name, which no one can call me - they shorten to ing, ingy, grid, etc. I can see what you're asking, but I personally like having multiple names. At any given moment I can identify who - or at least if it's family or someone I've grown up with. Let's not let "them" take our name's away! Nickname's are endearments and I consider them priceless - I hope you enjoy yours for what it is!
Old 05-12-2008, 08:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone! Now I can sign myself as true to me!

~Gin