When to step in and when to just pray.

Old 05-09-2008, 08:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Rest peacefully Sonny Boy

When to step in and when to just pray.

This is an animal story that has had a huge impact on me and my faith.

Recently, Jerry and I went to look at some property out in the middle of no where 10 miles to any kind of home or people. It was a winding road way up in the mountains with beautiful views, we decided to pull off and take in some of the flawless scenery. At the edge, there was so much trash and as I looked around there were dead animal carcus everywhere, some very fresh. It broke my heart. As we turned to leave in total disgust, there was movement at my feet.

It was a small kitten maybe 5 or 6 weeks old, wabbling towards me, then another one and another. Then the fourth one popped out behind a clump of weeds. Barely alive, skin and bones, obviously near death and very sick.

I'm going to be honest here and tell you my exact first thought, oh lord, I wish I had never seen them. I can't have cats around, allergies, a new born baby at home with another due any day and of course there is no way to get back to civilization in time to get them to an animal shelter.

We talked about it, and decided that we would continue to our destination and think about what to do and pick them up on the way back if that is what we decided.

We talked and talked about it. They weren't even weaned and the chances of them surviving were slim to none. Even if we took them to the animal shelter, it is a kill shelter, they wouldn't even be held for adoption, they would be put to sleep immedietly. Would they stand any chance out there in the woods?

On the way back, as we approached the curve that they were in, Jerry made the decision to leave it in Gods hands and as we passed he said he would pray for them....and I said nothing. The further away we got, the harder it got for me to hold back the tears until they spilled. He looked at me and said, you want to turn around don't you, I only had to nod.

It was a two hour drive home. I managed to get water in them by dipping my finger in and forcing it into their mouths, the same with a little bit of milk and some tuna juice. I really didn't thing they would make it through the night, but I kept trying to place my faith in my HP. The next morning, they were still alive, but after spending the better part of the day trying to find a rescue group to no avail, I had to accept that they would be put to sleep when I dropped them off at the animal society. I tried everything and every one, it was no use. I begged, pleaded and cried. The smallest one was getting pretty sick so I decided it was best to just take them down, it was more humane and I cried. I wanted to save them so bad, but they really needed moms milk or a professional to keep them alive. There was nothing more I could do. I prayed so hard and gave it up to my HP.

It was that exact moment that we passed one of the pet stores that I had tried to contact and they had been closed. For some reason, their door was propped wide open. I made Jerry turn around. One last ditch effort.

I explained to the girls what had happended, I begged them to help find someone. The girl kinda looked at me funny and was about to say no, then looked over at a cat she had in a cage. She said, you know, it's funny but a few days ago someone dropped off this mother cat and her kittens in the street, we took her in and she has just about weaned hers, maybe she will take these. I was so relieved and happy, I had to cry some more.

I didn't know at first weather or not to do anything, in the end, it took letting go for their destiny to be revealed. Those kittens beat all odds out there, from abandonment in the middle of the forrest with no mother, to a mother cat two hours away. From no hope, to a whole new life. There is no doubt in my mind that I was just a vessel to their destiny. HP had total control the whole time. I just had to listen to what I knew in my heart was the right thing to do, and have faith.

B
Old 05-09-2008, 09:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

WOW...what a story!
Old 05-10-2008, 12:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

Thanks(((frankly))))
Old 05-10-2008, 02:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

You did good Frankly, real good!!!!

I have become allergic to cats, however, young kittens like that don't seem to bother me. For years now, I keep a kitten/puppy feeding bottle handy, (available at wal mart and pet stores). I always have some Powdered Milk around, whole cow's milk makes them sick, and I keep some baby cereal around too, all in a box for emergencies. Liquiefy the Powdered Milk, add some baby cereal, keeping the mixture liquid. I also snip a bit bigger hole in nipple on bottle, and the kittens will nurse and fill their tummies and have a better chance. Momma cats are very good about taking on strange kittens and raising them.

You went with your instincts and those little ones now have a chance at a 'forever home'. HP did what you could not.

Thank you for turning around. That made my heart smile!

Love and hugs,
Old 05-10-2008, 03:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Thanks for sharing this powerful story.
........one for you...one for Jerry
and one for the pet store lady..
Old 05-10-2008, 05:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks Frankly!!

Those kittens had 2 angels looking over them....you and Jerry.

A month ago, my best friend had to move all of a sudden (psycho roommate) and I drove 2 hours to get her a motel room for a week. When we walking around outside, looking for the room, we heard a little sneeze, and a kitten jumped out of a trash can.

I just spent 3 days with my friend and "snuggles"....she's adorable, very loving and we adore her. I'm glad we, too, were in the right place at the right time.

You and Jerry did an awesome job at saving the kittens.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 05-10-2008, 06:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
remember to breathe

Thanks for that story. It warms my heart to know how many people out there are so kind to animals. I work at the zoo and of course animals are my "thing". And you are so right about using your instinct. Amazing
Old 05-10-2008, 07:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Frankly,

I love that story. I am a cat lover, I wish I would have been there because I would love to have one. I had to put my cat down last year and I really miss her. At first I said no more, but I am softening. I think maybe in the fall I will get one. I think I'll get an adult cat because there are so many that need homes.

Thanks for sharing...........Lo
Old 05-10-2008, 03:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sending lots of love and hugs, my friend...Your post touched me so. Thanks for being there for those babies.
Old 05-10-2008, 03:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

OMG! I am crying now. That was such a wonderful thing you did.
Old 05-10-2008, 04:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My cat just came up and loved on me while reading your story.

Thank you for being you
Old 05-10-2008, 05:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Dear Frankly

I am in tears about your post. What in the world went on at this place? What horrible person would drop off defenseless animals? Did the mamma cat take to the new babies?

Mr. Dev and I just got through rescuing our third batch of kittens last week. The first group were with their mamma but had no home because the lady moved and left her. They were the most beautiful kittens you have ever seen. The best part was I was able to keep them until they were weaned then sent them to my sister who has been in a rescue group for 35 years.

They were 4 boys and one girl, which is pretty unusual because normally there's more girls than boys. Anyway, they have all been adopted to very good homes. My sister will not let them go one by one. They must adopt two at a time. The group is very strict as to who gets them. The people must sign a contract.

After they are adopted, my sister follows up with a visit to the home. So funny, she's better than some of the social workers checking on children. She sent the mamma kitty with two of her kittens wasn't that special?

Ok, no sooner got them all squared away we find another batch of kittens with a feral mamma. We let them stay with her for only three weeks because after that they get wild. She was in an old shed and we found them when they were first born; however, she moved them shortly after. We were afraid we were going to have to take the back of the shed off because we heard them behind a ton of old aluminum pipe, but couldn't get to them.

The day came and we were prepared to rip the back of the shed off (metal) however, we gave it one attempt to crawl over the pipe, very gingerly, removing the pipes one at a time we found one. We proceeded to pick up each piece of pipe. One was very heavy. We tipped it and found five more kittens inside.

We were prepared with baby (animal) bottles, formula, so we moved quickly got them home. They were fat and the sweetest things you ever saw. I was up only twice during the night. The next day took the 2-1/2 hour trip to the Bay Area to my sister where they were brought to a foster home. These also will be adopted when they are old enough. Wish I could show you the photos, but don't know how to upload them.

Now we found more. One is very sick, the other are thriving. Anyway, didn't mean to carry on like this, but want to thank you for being such a good and caring person. Too many people would just turn their backs.

There's a special place in Heaven for you.

Hugs, Devastated
Old 05-10-2008, 05:31 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Frankly

Forgot to mention one thing.

In order to get the little guys to piddle,etc., you get a piece of cotton and rub it gently on their privates. Lo and behold it stimulates them to piddle.

You won't believe who taught me that. My Son! He loves animals and has rescued many. He happened to call me that night and told me that had to be done. I said, "what'll happen if it doesn't work?" He said, "then lick them!" LOL

Got to draw the line somewhere right? Thank goodness it worked on the first try.

Hugs, Devastated
Old 05-10-2008, 05:32 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Wow, you guys are just amazing. I love reading this! So heartwarming and cute
Old 05-10-2008, 06:17 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Awwww!!!
Old 05-10-2008, 06:45 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Rest peacefully Sonny Boy

Dev - I think the other mama cat took them, but even if she didn't, the girl I left them with knew what she was doing, she had all the goodies to do it with too right there in the pet store. Before I even left she and the other girl were debating which one of them got to keep the grey one. LOL

My sister does the rescue work with Chihuahuas. And I have two myself. In the whole state of Tennessee, we had the dog rescuers all searching for a home, but there just aren't any programs for cats, the few that there were, couldn't take any more.

I don't know where they will end up, but I do know that there are four people out there that HP already has plans for and they don't have a clue how much love is comming their way or what it took to get to them.

B
Old 05-10-2008, 06:55 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

((( frankly,dev, dev's son )))
The world would be a different place if there were more people like you. Thank you for your stories. Maybe someday humans won't be so cruel to animals... I truly believe animals are a lot smarter than we think they are.
Old 05-10-2008, 07:29 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Frankly, Mjpaao

I know what you mean, Frankly, because here in this county there isn't any help for spaying & neutering either. I came from a county that was quite weathly and had lots of help, but here it is really sad. People cannot afford to get their animals spayed/neutered and, therefore, we have tons of strays starving!

Thank the Lord for my sister and her rescue group, NARF! They do wonderful things. The gal that is fostering one batch of kittens has now 21 of them! Poor thing is up all night feeding. I know because I was up twice with the babies I had. Oh but they are so wonderful! I love them all.

There I was up for the 2:00 AM feeding! Mr. Dev was up with me! Isn't he the cat's meow?? What a guy!

Hugs, Devastated
Old 05-10-2008, 08:02 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

What a great story! There is a special place in heaven for people who are kind and compassionate to animals.

hugs

CATS
Old 05-10-2008, 08:50 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I just have to tell about our young mama cat...she got hit by a car and we brought her in the house...put her on a scatter rug and pulled her around the house to be with us..we hand fed her and she recovered....even had a batch of kittens...there truly is someone somewhere watching out for us.

kelsh