Notices

Hello... New, but not too New.

Old 05-09-2008, 04:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
BJW

Hello... New, but not too New.

I’m new to this forum. Actually, I registered in December, but I haven’t shared my story or participated in anyone else’s threads until today. As least I don’t remember sharing previously. I’d like to change that by becoming more involved. Mine is an old story and familiar, I suppose, to a lot of you, but let me introduce myself anyway.

I am a single mother of an addict. My son was using for 18 years before I found out the truth. In the last two years his disease progressed to terrifying proportions, my life turned into a nightmare and became completely unmanageable, I became a prisoner in my own home, got sick and sicker, which eventually propelled me into seeking and finding recovery for myself last summer. (I won’t list recovery groups here, because I don’t know if it is allowed.) Anyway, since that time, my son found sobriety, joined his own recovery group, relapsed, destroyed just about everybody and everything in his path, was involved in an accident that almost killed a child, landed in jail, and will soon be sentenced to an indeterminate prison term. Best case scenario, 6 to 13 years. Worse case scenario, 25 to life. I have a long road ahead of me on my personal road to recovery, but at least I’m on the road. The journey has begun.

My son is a terrific person, and because of recovery I have grown to love him in a new way. In fact, being in jail has corralled him long enough for him to get sober, and has given us an opportunity to become reacquainted. He apparently started seriously using at the age of 14. I actually like this clean and sober version of my child. He has a long and difficult road ahead also, but I’m pleased to say I’m happy to be a part of his journey. At least today I am. No telling how it will be tomorrow, but for today I’m ok with what’s happening. I am one of those mother’s who has come to realize that jail is preferable to dead, so I am grateful for his being in jail. I know there is a large number among us who have lost their loved ones. So far, that has not been the plan for my son’s life and for that I am grateful.

I’m not in crisis right now (she says with her fingers crossed), but maybe something I have been through can be of help to another. At least that’s my hope for today. I was married to an alcoholic (he’s still using) and being the mother of an addict (currently not using), gives me a little bit of insight as to why addiction is defined as a family disease.

I’ve been reading your posts for months. This is a very loving and supportive group and I like it that people share their opinions here and sometimes even offer advice. Not every forum offers that freedom.

Ok then – end of introduction and

p.s. I love all the smiley choices on this sight. It's a cheerful touch.
Old 05-09-2008, 04:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Welcome to SR BJW
Old 05-09-2008, 04:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

I'm glad you joined us.
Old 05-09-2008, 04:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Good to see you sharing with us
Welcome!
Old 05-09-2008, 05:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing, I havn't yet shared my story (can't make the posting bit work LOL) but your obvious love and concern for your son is just another reason for me to continue in my recovery plan - I hate to think what I have put my mother through. Luvvies.
Old 05-09-2008, 05:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
BJW

Thank you for your welcomes.

I'm not certain, but I think I might have posted in the wrong place.
No problem though. I think it's good for active addicts, recovering addicts, and families of addicts to know that we mom's really do love our children.

This recovery site is a big place. Easy to get lost in.
I copied and pasted what I wrote here over on the family and friends site. Going forward, I expect that's where you'll find me.

Thanks again.
Old 05-09-2008, 05:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Old 05-09-2008, 05:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

I was really touched by your story. It's true about a Mother's love being unconditional. I have a 19 year old son, who thank God, is a normie. (If there is such things as being normal lol) I have no doubt that my Son will never pick up. He is so against drugs, alcohol and even cigarettes. He saw what my addiction did to me. He watched me go on a downward spiral that nearly took my life.

Stick around and continue to share as often and as much as you like.

God Bless
Judy
Old 05-09-2008, 06:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober