Notices

the time has come: don't do it again

Old 05-09-2008, 08:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

the time has come: don't do it again

my girlfriend told me "don't do it again". I'm just moved into her house and another use could force me to move again. I've been subjecting her to my addiction for 3 years now and I'm at the end of my rope. amends throughj action--right now the action of staying clean and simply being available--is something I owe her.

the simple words, however, of "don't do it again", have stuck with me. I've repeated them a number of times through the day since I heard them. right now can be my time to finally give this up.

I'm noticing that my two main triggers are lonliness and anger. right now i'm feeling lonliness....a little earlier I was feeling anger....

I need to find a way to take care of my lonliness. a new way. the old way brings me more loliness, and more.

I'm scared that I can't quit. but I got to. obviously I don't have to, but my time has come. Yesterday I felt that maybe i could simply put it in my memory and simplely let it fade away because it is not a part of me. I don't want it to be a part of me anymore, but still I'm afraid of letting it go.

I've got to use everything I've learned in recovery and in books and from people in my world who have inspired me and put it all into my recovery. I've done this perhaps 150 times in the last 3 years (got clean and back on board the recovery plan) and failed 150 times.

why this time? how can I do it now? is now finally going to be when I get clean, again? I don't know, i don't know, i don't know.

I've sorta held things together in these 3 years--pretty much flatlining myself through the days....."messing up", getting clean right away, feeling better, and then messing up again.

thanks for listening
Old 05-09-2008, 08:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Ksplash,

I'm glad you're continuing to work at sobriety. You can do this!

You know that stopping drinking is only the first step. The real recovery begins at that point.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
not a greeter

You can do it ksplash5. You must've learned something these past '150' times. Let this be your last. Stick to it this time.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Maybe you can talk with someone one on one about your feelings. This is what I did. I had to separate my problem with addiction and emotions. Mostly because some will look at it as a reason to justify using.

Just thought I would share this with you. Because there were times I felt I was just self medicating. But I drank even when times were great.

And wanted to say hi.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Ksplash,

Each time I went back out , it became more difficult to become sober again...

Keep reaching out, never give up hope...

You can do this...

Thinking of you...
Old 05-09-2008, 09:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I am right where your at.
Want it but maybe not bad enough to actually make it stick.
I fall in that cycle of staying clean..falling off and getting right back up.
It is such an endless cycle of BS.
I dont have a SO or kids. Which right now I am thankful for.
I do however have family that has watched me go through this up and down crap for many years.
Noone depends on me. It is more like the other way around.
All my family depends on me for is to do what I am suppose to because they love me and dont want to see me dead.
I keep trying in hopes that one of these times is going to be the one where I finally get it together for good.
Far cry from a year ago and all the years prior where it was more like keep getting high in hopes that one of those times would be the one to take me out.
Bless the people who stand by us addicts.
If not for them...I know I wouldnt even care.
You can do it. If you always get right back up and try that says you want it. You just have to want it bad enough.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The desire to quit is a good start. You said that you have been trying to quit for about 3 years - do you have any insight as to why you weren't successful?

Try thinking about this - Do you want to quit, not does your roommate want you to quit, but Do You Want to Quit? If you do want to quit, What Are You Willing to do to Quit? You can even simplify that by asking yourself
- What am I Willing to do to Not Drink Today?

Try thinking about those questions and see if you can start working towards the answers.

Good luck and by the way, a good way to not drink and help with your loneliness is to go to an AA meeting.
Old 05-09-2008, 11:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Glad you found us and have decided to keep on trying to stop and yes it can be done and yes it's great.
Old 05-09-2008, 04:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I tried and failed many times before I found lasting recovery. I never gave up and it finally paid off because I am finally sober and really living a life of recovery.

This can be true for you. Keep seeking answers and don't give up.
Old 05-09-2008, 05:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Good to see ya back! Hope that you keep posting you have been missed and all of us can do this deal Just For Today!
Old 05-09-2008, 05:41 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

ksplash, yep.. its doable!

good wishes!

rz
Old 05-10-2008, 04:39 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

how nice to come back here this morning, CLEAN still, and to read all these responses.

I felt the "knawing" in my gut yesterday...I felt it for much of the day. Finally, around 7pm it subsided as I watched my daughter at a swimming pool.

I'm glad right now. glad to hear the birds outside; to be able to appreciate them.

Ksplash

"dont do it again"
Old 05-10-2008, 05:14 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Relapse is not an option!

Hey kspash5, it's a new day, and you can make it a beautiful sober day. Just for today.

Peace be with you and stay strong!