Language of Letting Go - May 7 - Letting Go of Fear

Old 05-07-2008, 03:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Language of Letting Go - May 7 - Letting Go of Fear

You are reading from the book The Language of Letting Go

Letting Go of Fear

Fear is at the core of codependency. It can motivate us to control situations or neglect ourselves.

Many of us have been afraid for so long that we don't label our feelings fear. We're used to feeling upset and anxious. It feels normal.

Peace and serenity may be uncomfortable.

At one time, fear may have been appropriate and useful. We may have relied on fear to protect ourselves, much the way soldiers in a war rely on fear to help them survive. But now, in recovery, we're living life differently.

It's time to thank our old fears for helping us survive, then wave good-bye to them. Welcome peace, trust, acceptance, and safety. We don't need that much fear anymore. We can listen to our healthy fears, and let go of the rest.

We can create a feeling of safety for ourselves, now. We are safe, now. We've made a commitment to take care of ourselves. We can trust and love ourselves.

God, help me let go of my need to be afraid. Replace it with a need to be at peace. Help me listen to my healthy fears and relinquish the rest.

From The Language of Letting Go by Melody Beattie ©1990, Hazelden Foundation.
Old 05-07-2008, 03:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

We can create a feeling of safety for ourselves, now. We are safe, now. We've made a commitment to take care of ourselves. We can trust and love ourselves.
I really really needed this reading today. I have been struggling with some issues, about the past finding the present and how I would handle it and I realize that my discomfort has its base in fear.

I am in a safe place today, it took a lot of work and support to get here, and I have a fear of that safe place being jeopardized.

I realize now that the way to get past this is to keep praying, in gratitude for where I am today and in faith that whatever happens tomorrow will be okay and something I can handle.

Fear is the bogeyman who appears only when I become complacent or close my eyes to the recovery that keeps me safe every day. Begone, fear, I don't need you anymore. I have replaced you with faith.

Hugs