Notices

A decision has been made...

Old 05-06-2008, 01:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A decision has been made...

and I am terminated. Fired. I just got the call 5 minutes ago. I don't know what to do. I feel empty and scared. Alone. What's to become of my family? How could I do this? WHat do I do now?
Old 05-06-2008, 01:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Oh Rob, I am so sorry.

:praying
Old 05-06-2008, 01:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I am also very sorry over this misfortune. Did you get any severance pay? Are you eligible for unemployment compensation? do look into those things. Call the salvation army to see if they can offer you any leeds on jobs or retraining for different jobs. my heart goes out to you in this horrible time. but just try to take it one day at a time. Something will turn up for you, I'm sure of it.:praying:ghug3
Old 05-06-2008, 01:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sorry Rob, your job has fell through but you still have your family. There are other jobs...just stay sober!
Old 05-06-2008, 02:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Rob I am so sorry to hear that. Just remember that one door closing is another opening, I know it sounds cliched but I believe that to be true. I hope you find something you like even better. There are lots of websites online to help find jobs, I'm not a fan of Monster or Careerbuilder but others have had good luck with them. Craigslist has a lot of jobs too, and your local paper will have online job listings. Good luck and please let us know how it's going.
Old 05-06-2008, 02:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey Rob - I'm sorry to hear that. You will find something - just take it one day at a time, just like staying sober. Stay strong- you can do this. I have faith in it. I read a billboard on a church sign today that said, "Prayer is asking for rain- Faith is carrying the umbrella" - well, carry your umbrella as you search for work, ok? Jomey
Old 05-06-2008, 02:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
let it grow!

just posted on your other thread. i am so sorry. i lost my job last month, so i sure know how lost you feel today. rest a bit.

we'll both land on two feet. be kind to yourself, and patient. it'll all work out the way it is supposed to.

hugs, k
Old 05-06-2008, 02:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear that Rob. Not sure if you are early in recovery or not, I've had that happen to me several times in early recovery. I'll do you the favor of not spouting off any trite little AA sayings.....they kinda **** me off too Man if you need to, give yourself a day to wallow a bit, but then tomorrow just make sure you get yourself moving and I bet you will find a solution. It's a temporary setback and I have no doubt you can get through it.
Old 05-06-2008, 02:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

I"m sorry Rob. I've been waiting to hear how things went for you..

I was fired from my job when I was 3 months sober. I was hysterical, worried, afraid, depressed, lost, etc etc etc.

I was able to collect unemployment. (Please make sure that you look into this asap.) Since I was able to collect, I took my time finding another position, and yes, I worked on my recovery.

Here's a trite AA saying for you: you are right where you are supposed to be. I found that to be true for me. I needed the time to get over myself and be a lil less stressed out. And RECOVER.

When the unemployment ran out, I picked up a job just to be working. Now, I start a new job, in my chosen field, on Monday. I"m a better employee. I wouldn't be if I didn't continue to work on my recovery. If I was still at that original job, I might not be sober. I honestly believe that.

I know it's hard for you to think this way right now, but maybe tomorrow. Keep praying on it Rob and hand it up.

Karen
Old 05-06-2008, 03:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
mle-sober

Hang in there Rob. I'm sorry it's such a tough time for you and your family. Stay sober. Losing your sobriety would only make things worse, for sure. That's one thing you get to make the call on.

- MLE
Old 05-06-2008, 03:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Oh god Rob. I am so sorry to hear that. I was really rooting for you. I know it is hard but please try and keep it together. I'm still rooting for you.
Old 05-06-2008, 03:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Well Rob,

Sympathy and $4 will get you a latte at Starbucks. I doubt that you need either.

At least you know more now than you did before. Unfortunatley, in these times, hundreds of thousands have had to find work due to layoffs, etc. Does it really matter where the blame lay? Fact is, some will find a way to survive, others a way to thrive.

Sympathy won't help, but support will. Lots and lots of people here are examples of thriving under difficult circumstances. It's amazing. As has been mentioned, there is a sure way to make it worse. To really make things bad. Don't go there.

warren
Old 05-06-2008, 03:40 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Adjusting my Sails

I'm sorry to hear you were fired Rob. I was fired because of my drinking and I felt the same way you do right now about letting my family down. Not a good feeling.
Originally Posted by Robzoloft View Post
What do I do now?
I made finding a job my new job. I had to, it was the only way I could live with myself at the time. Personally I set the simple goal of filling out at least two job applications per day in the industry I work in. It doesn't sound like much but it adds up fast and it didn't take long for me to be hired again.

We are all here pulling for you. :ghug3
Old 05-06-2008, 03:41 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Hey Rob,

We will always get what we need by doing the right thing by everyone including ourseleves.

$4 for a latte wow hoep its good, really good!
Old 05-06-2008, 04:47 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

(((Rob)))

I'm sorry you lost your job, but you WILL survive. Working on your recovery is VERY important!

My dad was one of the air traffic controllers fired by Regan in the 80's for going on strike. He moped around, thought about how he and the other 11,000 fired were wronged. 2 months later he was diagnosed with cancer, had surgery (no insurance) and savings was wiped out and we were dependent on mom's job.

The reason I'm telling you this, is his biggest regret is that he sat around so long, feeling sorry for himself instead of getting out and finding some kind of job. He basically sat around for a year, because he wasn't trained to do anything else.

Being scared and feeling hopeless is normal, but don't wallow in it. You'll find something. I was an RN, making $40/hour. Now I wait tables for $3/hour plus tips. I still struggle financially, but I'm actually happy and, the most important part is, I've got 14 months clean.

Big hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 05-06-2008, 04:49 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
not a greeter

I'm sorry to hear that. What will you do? You go on living. You don't drink over it and you go out and find another job. Until then... you don't drink over it.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:51 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Go to a lot of meetings and talk about being jobless.
...That worked out great for me in a new locale.

At least you live in an area with multi opportunities.

Stay sober and clean...you will find ansswers.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:11 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Philippines/Canada

Thats a tuff one Rob sorry.

Wow tons of great advice everybody, i love this place.

Change is never easy, you have had that job for a long time. I am currently going through some changes work wise and i don't like it, its uncomfortable to say the least.
I just put an add in craigslist last night and i can hardly keep up with the responses.

Good luck fellow warrior
Old 05-06-2008, 07:19 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
IO Storm

I am so sorry Rob.....

Don't isolate no matter what, even though that may seem exactly what you will

feel like doing....please go to face to face meetings...

Check into benefits.....

Don't drink no matter what!

We're still here Rob...
Old 05-06-2008, 07:57 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Helping Others, Helps Me

i am very sorry, when I got my one and only questionable dwi, i pretty much lost my job. The next bg check they do it will be found, because I didn't have the money to fight the implied consent revocation...it sucks

Look on the bright side, I am trying to figure out how the hell I am gunna hide my vehicle at work with whiskey plates...it is very stressful