Why?

Old 05-05-2008, 08:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Why?

Why is it always about them? During their addiction, it's about them & what they want. Now, in recovery, it's still all about them. When is it ever about the family?
Old 05-05-2008, 08:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Who's recovery?

My recovery has been all about me. I am the only one I can work on. If my AH would ever begin recovery, it would be his, not mine.

You can change the focus if you want to.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Because A's are self-absorbed and self-centered. It's the nature of the addiction. They can't get past their own pain, their own point of view, their own feelings ... whatever.

Early recovery is tough. Staying sober is tough. I've known A's who have sat in meetings 7 days a week, sometimes several meetings a day.

At this point, it's a bit early to wonder when it will be about the family. Maybe you should quit worrying about when - or if - he'll come around to being concerned about you or your kids.

It appears that for the near future your business should be focused on your own recovery. So he is all about him. Now it's time for you to be all about you. If he works a strong recovery program, he may get to the point that he will be able to give you and your kids his attention. Then again, he may decide to walk away.

Only time will tell.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I understand the focusing on myself. That, I am doing (although I do have my moments). I feel like AH just tossed us aside like we mean nothing to him. My main concern is for my girls. I never wanted this kind of life for them & I feel bad for not being able to give them all that they deserve.
AH chose to go to FL when he got out of the Corps. He could have come here to VA where he could see his girls, but he didn't claiming that his "foundation" is there. What foundation? He went to rehab there for 21 days! He was always a country boy, not a beach boy & all of a sudden he's all about the beach (which he used to give me crap for because before him, I dated a guy who lived on a beach). I give him credit for finally getting help, but is that another lie too? Right now, he's not working (or so he says) & applying to a college down there. He hasn't asked about the girls in months, barely calls (but says he loves me) & is not here finacially either. It's like he chose to leave us behind & start a new life on his own. I'm pretty sure that there are recovering addicts all over who are working through their addictions WITH their families.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Confused757 View Post
It's like he chose to leave us behind & start a new life on his own.
From what you've said, that is indeed what he's doing. Not all that unusual from what I've read. If that is what he is doing, well, its his choice and you can't do a whole lot about it. He will earn the consequences of his actions both good and bad.

If so, then it is what it is. All you can do is begin to move on, take care of your girls, get them whatever help they may need to get through all this and take back control of your life.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

So what is acceptable TO YOU? What do you want from life? Is his way of recovering okay with what you want? He is allowed to make his choices and so are you. Is this okay with you? If not, what are you going to do about it? Just because he went to rehab doesn't mean life is all about him. What is okay for you? Does he measure up?

L
Old 05-05-2008, 09:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

No, he's a liar. He was NOTHING like I thought he was. It's like I married a stranger. But, what do I tell my girls when they start asking about daddy? My 4 yr old doesn't even want to talk to him on the phone now. He just happened to call the day of her kindergarten registration/orientation & I asked her if she wanted to talk to daddy. (she said no) He didn't even ask about her & I know he could hear her talking next to me! The only thing he said was, "She's pissed at me.... I'm not there) I don't care about our relationship. It's pretty much over. But those girls don't know what's going on & this is just not fair to them at all.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

An Alcoholic lives in a world of one.
And so does a CODA - the addict's!
Until they somehow break free.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hmmmm....... I like that.

I just want answers. I can't help myself. How do I stop asking freakin' questions? :p
Old 05-06-2008, 12:33 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hmmmm....... I like that.

I just want answers. I can't help myself. How do I stop asking freakin' questions? :p
Don't stop asking questions, keep asking different questions. One day you'll realise you had your answers all along, you just aren't sure what to do with them yet.
Old 05-06-2008, 12:42 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

I'm pretty sure that there are recovering addicts all over who are working through their addictions WITH their families.
I've not seen any and I've been clean and sober almost 27 years. The early years in Recovery are devoted to one's self. We've hidden ourselves from ourselves for so long it usually takes that amount of time to figure our own selves out, and then we have to do those steps, to get to the point of making amends (including financial) and trying to men broken bridges and broken families.

As to your girls, it might be time to find a child psychologist that is familiar with addiction to talk with the girls weekly for a while and help keep them on the right track. Counseling for you probably wouldn't hurt either. Check around, especially with your County Health Dept. I am sure they can refer you to a 'sliding scale' practice, where in all likelihood you won't pay much if anything at all.

J M H O

Love and hugs,
Old 05-06-2008, 06:20 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

But those girls don't know what's going on & this is just not fair to them at all.
Maybe not, but they know something's not right. I am sure that divorcing my AH is the right thing to do- for me as well as my dd. She knows he is an alcoholic, but she doesn't realize fully what that means. I try to talk to her when is seems necessary, but I keep it at her level. I also do not badmouth my AH. What I am finding is that if I am ok, she will be ok. I am becoming a strong role model for her- everyday. It's a process of figuring out what I want for my life, what I want for her and how I'm going to get that. My AH- like all active alcoholics- and those who are dry drunks- is self-absorbed. So, what am I going to do about that? It sucks- no doubt. It's not what I wanted for any of us, but in order for me to truly live the healthy life I deserve, I have to let my AH live his life- on his own. No, it's not "fair." I wanted that dream for us- that 3 is the magic number dream- a family. Well, she and I can be a family- a healthy one. That is my gift to her.
(((Take care of yourself- so you can take care of them.)))
Old 05-06-2008, 06:44 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

So, basically the family is screwed either way. I wish I knew what he was before I married him.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:56 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

No, your family, consisting of your and your children, is not screwed going forward unless you choose to view it that way! If you change the way you think about your life and situation, you can change your life.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:58 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

Actually no IMHO the family is not screwed-

When we decide to take care of ourselves and involve ourselves with trying to do what is best for us and our children-we are not screwed.

I wish I knew about my XABF, My brothers, My Dad-but I did not I was a child with my first A's and it is what I learned as the way life was suppose to be! (NOT) -It is never to late to change and make choices that are right for US! It can be done....

We cannot change the past....I know this is cliche but I love these few sayings:

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, and today is a gift; that's why they call it the present. -Eleanor Roosevelt

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent- Eleanor Roosevelt

It is not fair to ask of others what you are unwilling to do yourself-Eleanor Roosevelt

I know the place that you are in right now is a horrible feeling to feel-I can share that I was once there too and others......when we start to make choices for us (kids) in a positive way and not them-life does and will get better!
Old 05-06-2008, 07:06 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

It's like he chose to leave us behind & start a new life on his own.
In hindsight, you'll see that he did you a favor. Now you're free to find someone who truly cares about you and your boys. One day you'll realize that his leaving was a gift, not a tragedy.

I pray that you'll find peace soon. I began living a peaceful life the moment I let go of my alcoholic partner. Drunk or sober, he was never there for me.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:38 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

By screwed, I mean the family is never together again. The A always leaves (or they are left) because of the A's self-centered way of thinking. This tears me up because my children never asked for this. My parents are still married after 29 yrs & I wanted my kids to grow up in a stable, loving home with both mommy & daddy. Now, that's not going to happen because he messed that up. Yes, we have fun times without daddy... Lots of them... I'm having a lot less bad days... But, I still have them. It angers me how he can leave us behind & basically start over by himself. Especially those 2 innocent little girls who did nothing at all to deserve this. Yes, it's hard on me having to be the only parent. It's really frustrating when both of the girls are acting up & knowing that my AH is off in FL somewhere doing his own thing or relaxing on a beach somewhere.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:29 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Yield beautiful changes

Isn't it hard to let go of the "happy 2 parent family" idea?

I, too, have parents who've been together and (apparently) happy for 25+ years, and in some ways I think it makes this process a little more difficult.

I just don't have any experience with divorce. I haven't lived through it and come out okay on the other side. Divorce was always presented as the "worst case" scenario, and that mindset makes it difficult to see my life, as it is today, in a positive light.

We do not know what the future holds. Perhaps we are not accustomed to seeing our current situations as blessings, but that doesn't mean that they aren't.

Let's live through this, come out on the over side, and then decide if we're "screwed."

Wishing you peace today.
-TC
Old 05-06-2008, 09:20 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thank you, TC. I know that there is a reason for everything, it's just hard to see that with 2 screaming kids & no help on a very frustrating day. AH was never a good father or husband. He admits that himself. He's not there for us now either & I know he never will be. I'm just stuck in the middle now & seeing no way out yet. Frustrated, angry, alone, resentful, jealous, sad, confused.... all of that while trying to be a good mom.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:39 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thank you, TC. I know that there is a reason for everything, it's just hard to see that with 2 screaming kids & no help on a very frustrating day. AH was never a good father or husband. He admits that himself. He's not there for us now either & I know he never will be. I'm just stuck in the middle now & seeing no way out yet. Frustrated, angry, alone, resentful, jealous, sad, confused.... all of that while trying to be a good mom.
It gets easier Confused, as time goes on it does get easier. I was left alone with two boys at 5 and 6 and it was damned hard work at first. I just felt lost and as if I'd never be myself again, just this body who went to work and cared for kids. Now the boys are 12 and 13 and I have my nephew too, it's not exactly a walk in the park everyday, but it got easier as the months went by. It'll get easier for you too, just keep going day by day and one day you'll realise you're having more good days than bad ones. And don't forget to look after you too, easier said than done sometimes I know, but the little things count too.