RAH To Enter Meth Study - Modafinil

Old 05-05-2008, 10:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

RAH To Enter Meth Study - Modafinil

My recovering husband is going to be entering into a study for a medication that they think can help recovering meth addicts. It's called modafinil. Currently, it's used in helping people who have narcolepsy. It's a different chemical make-up than methamphetimines or other stimulants (i.e. caffeine.) I'm still not sure about it. A part of me feels that it's going from one thing to another, but it requires 3 therapy sessions a week, 3 drug tests and once a week a fairly thorough physical examination.

We're still weighing the idea. The idea of him getting therapy 3 times a week is interesting to me (he's been open to it, we just can't afford it out of pocket--so this being free is a good thing.)

He'll be compensated for his time.

Will let you know.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That's interesting....they used to prescribe Preludin for Narcolepsy....and back in the day.....well they beat the hell outta meth. But now I'm clean & sober over 10 yrs.....
Old 05-05-2008, 11:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I just did a quick search on it and it looks promising. Australia has been testing it for a couple of years and so has the USA. Here, it's been tested mostly on cocaine addiction. It doesn't replace the drug, it restores neurotransmitters that have been depleted and appears to kill the high if someone uses.
Old 05-05-2008, 11:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
"Welcome To The Future..."

Good Luck!

Best of luck to you both!!!!

Sounds like an interesting approach. Similar to the suboxone I am taking for opiate addiction in that it keeps you from getting high and restores the drugs usual place on the neurotransmitters. It certainly never hurts to give it a try, especially if it is free and has potential to help!

You'll be in my thoughts and prayers!

butterfly19

Old 05-05-2008, 11:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by anvilhead View Post
at some point the addict HAS to be able to resist the urge to use and that is best done with a really big recovery tool kit. if i'm taking a pill to minimize the effects of my true DOC, then i put more reliance on the pill and less investment in my own arsenal.
If this drug helps them get to that place, isn't that a good thing?
Old 05-06-2008, 05:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I agree that it sounds promising, especially the part about the therapy and physicals.

I totally understand what Anvil is saying, too. As long as this is what he really, really wants (to stop using meth), then I think it will help tremendously. He's got to want recovery deep down in his gut. If he's doing this because it's what YOU want, or anyone else, that can be a problem.

I think anything that gets us addict to focus on life without using is worth a try. Some people make it the first time. Others (like me) have to fall down a few times and pick ourselves back up. When we really want recovery, we remember what worked for us before, what didn't work, and make adjustments.

I went to AA meetings when I first tried to get clean. I don't go now, but what I learned there has been invaluable to me, and I still adhere to most of what I learned there. I also know that if what I'm doing stops working, I will get my butt to a meeting and do whatever else I can to get back on the firm ground of recovery.

Keep us posted.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 05-06-2008, 07:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I definitely appreciate all your words and I think the same things, Anvil. But, he also has ADD and mild depression (both of which this drug is supposed to help.) There's a part of me that hopes he gets the placebo and he can just take advantage of the therapy and physical examinations. We'll see.
Old 05-11-2008, 09:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Originally Posted by ZombieWife View Post
I definitely appreciate all your words and I think the same things, Anvil. But, he also has ADD and mild depression (both of which this drug is supposed to help.) There's a part of me that hopes he gets the placebo and he can just take advantage of the therapy and physical examinations. We'll see.

How is it going?

I've heard of this study before. I believe they are doing it at UCLA also.

I think it's a great idea!

I don't think it's anyones business personally to try and tell someone their way is the wrong way to recover, especially when it's under the supervision of doctors. JMO.

Meth was my doc. and I know the hell of it. People can sit back all they want and say how they think someone they should recover. The problem of getting of meth is when you stop, you are suicidal to a point that I can not even explain. The consequences are often suicide, so to tell someone their is only one way or there way to recover is crazy.
(I'm not saying you or anyone is doing this).. But I have seen it over and over. I stopped meth w/out anything, but the suicide part of it, was the toughest part for me.
Like your husband, for me a huge part of the attraction to meth is the ADD and the depression. For awhile it does work (the meth).
So to have a doctor help with that part, CAN be the magical cure he needs if you ask me. And I am proof of that. There IS a chemical imbalance in my brain, that meds fix within a few days. When I don't have them, my brain looks for whatever it can to fix that imbalance. Illegal or not.
It's the nature of the beast to want to feel good. Not high, just feel normal, wake up and see the sun shining.

It's not normal to see Thunder and Lightening when it is 90 degrees outside.
I give him credit where credit is due for trying. Getting off of meth is one of the hardest things there is. (Next to being the one to have to watch or live it)

****{ZombieWife}}}
Old 05-11-2008, 09:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

BTW, I DID stop Meth without any help. Just a therapist and SR, and my own program.
No meds, nothing.
It took me a long time before I got back on meds.

So I have been on meds and off.
I did not go from meth to meds.

But it was not till I got on the 'Right' anti's that I finally
stopped craving meth way later.
I lost my anti's recently and it didn't take but a few weeks,
and I my head was regressed to the days where I was when
I was craving meth.
There is a direct connection if you ask me.

I do think most people use drugs to self medicate.

JMO
Old 05-12-2008, 04:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I read about this at least 3 years ago. U of Penn has been doing studies with modafinil and cocaine users and cravings.

Modafinil is not a cure-all, but it has shown promise in quelling cravings, and *supposedly* has shown to help speed the healing of neurological issues at a somewhat faster rate than just abstinence alone. Again, not a cure-all, but a helpful tool all the way around.

NIDA I believe has the reports on this. You can look it up here:

www.nida.gov

I'd be interested in hearing how this pans out for zombiewife's hubby.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

We're definitely not looking for a perfect fix-it, but he needs help. The therapy and medical examinations and drug testing (3X a week) are free and he's having a bigger and bigger problem with his ADD lately (which this drug apparently helps.)

He's been clean for 10 months now, but the last few weeks he's been obsessing with it, thinking about it all the time. He told me he can't do it alone, he needs help. He hasn't done the meetings or therapy. Him reaching out in some way is better than the self-help route that seems to fail so often.

It's for 8 weeks. He starts Friday. He had to stop taking an allergy medication for some reason and they said it takes 2 weeks to get that out of his system. So, he's been sniffling and sneezing and we're both waiting.

The therapy is a group session (again 3X a week.)

He could get a placebo.

It's something. I'm not worried that he will relapse by going on this. I'm worried that without something, he will. He's being honest with me about struggling (whereas in the past, he would just eat it up until it overtook his senses.) We'll see. I've read a lot about the drug. If it's a bridge to another huge chunk of sobriety (that leads to full-time sobriety,) then I'm open minded.

I'm also being very vigilant and preparing myself for what is to come.

Much appreciate the words, though. Keep us in your prayers!
Old 05-13-2008, 06:34 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Modafinil is a stimulant, so in theory, it makes sense that'll help him with his ADD. Whether it's a powerful enough drug to help with ADD will also be something I'd be interested in hearing.

But that will be a great thing if modafinil helps on both fronts.

Looking forward to the results!
Old 05-13-2008, 11:40 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I wish they some type of test study where I live. I went off Meth by myself with no help. and have been clean 2 years. I am watching my XAH trying to get help with his withdrawals. He can not go long without falling a sleep, or not wanting to get up in the mornings. He is going to intense therapy and his doc does not believe in meds to fix his depression.

So good luck.

How long does the suicided talk go on once you off the meth?
Old 05-13-2008, 01:21 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Wooforever-

Is this "doctor" aware your XAH is contemplating suicide? If your XAH has said as much to this doctor, then the doctor is *required* to put your XAH in the hospital. If your XAH does hurt himself and the doctor was aware of the possibility, then that doctor will be in some *serious* hot, legal water.

I cannot believe this doctor hasn't put him on some anti-depressant, even if temporarily. Is there a specific reason - a *good* reason - this doctor hasn't put your XAH on anti-depressants?
Old 05-13-2008, 07:31 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

My AD is taking suboxone....at first I thought it was using one drug to replace another.

She has been working since Sept. trying to sort through the wreckage that the OC made of her life. She is healthy and finding her way.

I truly hope she doesnt have to stay on this drug forever, or for even a year, but I will take her the way she is today as opposed to where she was.

And if they are offerieng couseling along with it that is even better.

I have found for me as her mother that this is a process and her journey.

Seems to me that medical science should be working on drugs to help heal the brains of addicts...or at least give them a chance to find the way out of the darkness that is active addiction.

I read a while back they are working on one in Europe for alcohol addiction, but the FDA isn't sure about it. Think of how many lives could be blessed with this kind of drug.

But in the end my daughter still has to choose to take the suboxone and not snort the OC. And her addict still wants the OC, so it still takes a choice and wanting to live.