Language of Letting Go - May 5 - Control

Old 05-05-2008, 02:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Language of Letting Go - May 5 - Control

You are reading from the book The Language of Letting Go

Control

Many of us have been trying to keep the whole world in orbit with sheer and forceful application of mental energy.

What happens if we let go, if we stop trying to keep the world orbiting and just let it whirl? It'll keep right on whirling. It'll stay right on track with no help from us. And we'll be free and relaxed enough to enjoy our place on it.

Control is an illusion, especially the kind of control we've been trying to exert. In fact, controlling gives other people, events, and diseases, such as alcoholism, control over us. Whatever we try to control does have control over our life and us.

I have given this control to many things and people in my life. I have never gotten the results I wanted from controlling or trying to control people. What I received for my efforts is an unmanageable life, whether that unmanageability was inside me or in external events.

In recovery, we make a trade off. We trade a life that we have tried to control, and we receive in return something better - a life that is manageable.

Today, I will exchange a controlled life for one that is manageable.

From The Language of Letting Go by Melody Beattie ©1990, Hazelden Foundation.
Old 05-05-2008, 03:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Control is an illusion, especially the kind of control we've been trying to exert. In fact, controlling gives other people, events, and diseases, such as alcoholism, control over us. Whatever we try to control does have control over our life and us.
How profound and true I have found the above statement. Trying to control another indeed allows them to control me. If they do what "I" want, then I am happy...if they do not, then I am angry, sad, scared, frustrated and feel out of control. I have given them the power over how "I" feel.

Control is an illusion, one I lived with for many years. It didn't get better until I realized that I was out of control myself, and that it was not about my son's addiction but about the choices I was making for my life.

My life became manageable when I surrendered this control to God, and let Him resume running the world, just as He always had. It became better when I learned to walk in faith, even blind faith, that life was unfolding exactly as it was supposed to and that the outcome was not mine to predict.

Hugs
Old 05-05-2008, 06:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you Ann...Went to an AA meeting yesterday, My daughter decided to come with me[I didn't push], however, I was scoping out sponsors for her...I actually had to stop and say to her"Its not my business"...and shut my mouth...At least I saw it and caught it in a matter of minutes instead of days of obsessing and worry. this is such a blessing...I can laugh at myself...Marian
Old 05-05-2008, 06:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Oh how I struggle with this. I realize that after a year and a half in al-anon I am still trying to control parts of my husband, especially his relationship/interaction with our 2 small children. It is frustrating to watch him not be the parent I know he can be, and watch my children be disappointed because of his actions. However, it is only something that HE can choose to change.
Old 05-05-2008, 06:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

Thanks Ann!
Love this book! It stays in my night stand where I open it every morning!
Old 05-05-2008, 11:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ann View Post
Many of us have been trying to keep the whole world in orbit with sheer and forceful application of mental energy.

What happens if we let go, if we stop trying to keep the world orbiting and just let it whirl? It'll keep right on whirling. It'll stay right on track with no help from us. And we'll be free and relaxed enough to enjoy our place on it.

In recovery, we make a trade off. We trade a life that we have tried to control, and we receive in return something better - a life that is manageable.

GOD, I hope so. I am really trying to let go and let my HP take over, but its sooooo hard right now. I just gave up a big "control". I let my AH have control over his pills. I am very scared and upset tonight. We got in a big fight a bit ago about how he let us down with his decision ---not me letting him down ---he was trying to put the blame on me for giving up on our marriage. I hate when he does that....as if I haven't been doing everything in the last 8 years to make it work.

The thing is, I know the control I thougth I have had has been an illusion, I haven't really changed a thing. It HAS controlled me for so long.

Thanks for this today, I really, really needed it.

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.
Old 05-05-2008, 11:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

"man makes plans, God laughs" - my quote for the day from Michael Chabon - (or close to it anyway!)

Perfect for what I needed - thanks Ann! ((((hugs))))