Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Hearing (hostile) voices, severe depression, insomnia, nightmares and mild OCD.

Notices

Old 05-05-2008, 01:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi. I have no idea where to start. I have a family member (38 yo) who has been drinking a lot for at least 10 years. Within the last 9 months, he has been having some strange issues. These have been going on even since he went to rehab a couple of months ago and has stopped drinking since. I'm wondering if anyone has ever experienced long-term (9 months +) issues with things like hearing (hostile) voices, severe depression, insomnia, nightmares and mild OCD.

Talking to him, you wouldn't know it. He can suppress it in social situations very well, but says it's becoming unbearable. What's interesting is that he can pinpoint the moment that it started. He had just been drinking and was "coming down". Then he said something "just happened." He was also on Xanax at the time, which I understand is VERY bad to mix alcohol with. I've started researching things such as alcoholics hallucinations, schizophrenia, brain atrophy, etc. Scary stuff. Can anyone relate to this? What did you do? Is this permanent? I hate any kind of "healing" drugs, but are they the only possible solution if there is one?

I feel terrible for him. He's in the hospital now awaiting a diagnosis.

Thank you.
Old 05-05-2008, 03:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
live to ride ride to live

I hope they find out what is wrong with him and get him on the right meds if need be. I take meds for hearing voices and it works really well in stopping them. glad you found us and hope others will be along shortly to help out.

good luck and hope things work out well really soon.
Old 05-05-2008, 06:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

It's best to leave the medical professionals diagnose and treat.
I'm glad he is getting assistance with this.

Mega Hugs to both of you
Old 05-05-2008, 07:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Philippines/Canada

Meds saved my bacon while my brain healed. I had psychosis, voices etc after an improper detox from benzos and booze. Psychiatrist will help to patch up your loved one too.
Old 05-05-2008, 07:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
let it grow!

glad you found this site, toaster. and happy that your loved one is in the care of doctors.

keep posting, and find ways to take care of YOU.

hugs, k
Old 05-05-2008, 07:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hopefully his dr will be able to find and treat whatever the problem is.

I'm glad you found us.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Best advice I can think of is for him to see a doctor ASAP.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I developed schizophrenic symptoms and major depression after I quit drinking so it is not really the same as your friend but the doctors should be able to figure something out. I started up drinking again in order to make these symptoms go away, which I hope your friend doesnt do. The docs might put him on antidepressants and/or antipychotic meds which help a lot of people. Good luck.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by StayinAlive View Post
Meds saved my bacon while my brain healed. I had psychosis, voices etc after an improper detox from benzos and booze. Psychiatrist will help to patch up your loved one too.
Thanks everyone for responding. StayinAlive, it sounds like your problem was similar with the detox from benzos and booze. How do you know it was an "improper" detox. And were your psychotic symptoms lasting for months after like in this case? Did you have any of those symptoms before the detox? I know everyone's different but what meds/counseling do you most attribute your successful recovery to?

Also, I know this isn't a diagnosis forum. Just getting some feedback - hearing that other people have gone through similar patches and turned out ok - helps.

Thanks again.
Old 05-05-2008, 11:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Welcome to SR.

There are many different things that the symptoms could be indicative of which range from schizophrenia to alcoholic dementia. Some are treatable while others are degenerative. Only a physician can provide a proper diagnosis and treatment plan. Please encourage him to see a doctor and be completely honest with the doctor. If he is unable to be honest have him bring someone along who can tell the doctor of the symptoms he is having. Have him make sure the doctor realizes that he has a history of alcohol abuse as this could be very relevant to the diagnosis.

Good luck and once again welcome to SR
Old 05-05-2008, 11:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Is your family member going to AA or NA meetings? They are not in themselves a full solution. That said, since he's hearing harmful voices, he needs to start hearing helpful voices. That will happen at meetings.
Old 05-05-2008, 11:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

This is from our SR Policy Rules & Regs Forum
Please do not give medical advice, medication advice, or psychiatric advice.
Please do follow our guidelines when replying.
Thanks everyone.

toasterNova...I hope both of you
find healing and peace.
Old 05-06-2008, 01:25 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Philippines/Canada

Originally Posted by toasterNova View Post
Thanks everyone for responding. StayinAlive, it sounds like your problem was similar with the detox from benzos and booze. How do you know it was an "improper" detox. And were your psychotic symptoms lasting for months after like in this case? Did you have any of those symptoms before the detox? I know everyone's different but what meds/counseling do you most attribute your successful recovery to?

Also, I know this isn't a diagnosis forum. Just getting some feedback - hearing that other people have gone through similar patches and turned out ok - helps.

Thanks again.
Well i wont comment on specific meds but for sobriety i had to get to a place where i really really had enough and was willing to do anything. No one could convince me or help me to realize my problem but me. I had to want it. Third rehab was 12 step based and for two months i worked each step. I attribute my sobriety the steps and the fellowship of recovering addiction sufferers and every piece of inspiration i could get my hands on. I am coming up on 9 months sober.

I know you must be scared sick for your family member. You can point him in the right direction(like this site) but he has to do the work. Don't forget to take care of yourself and get support. This site has a very popular "Friends and family" section you could check out. There is also a mental health section too.

Good luck and keep us posted on your family members diagnosis