update

Old 05-01-2008, 08:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

update

Just wanted to let you know what's going on in my world of recovery.

I can't move yet. Actually HAVE the money, but checked my criminal record to make sure it said I was a "first offender" and darned if it doesn't say "convicted felon". You absolutely CANNOT rent an apt. anywhere near Atlanta with a felony. My PO has been faxing GCIC to correct it, but 2 months later, she hasn't heard from them.

I wrote to an old AA friend/lawyer to see if he can get me off probation. Just heard from him and am meeting him at 3. I have the money to pay him, and that feels good. Of course, it's part of my moving fund, but can't move anyway. My PO said she will go to court and tell judge she has no hesitation, whatsoever, at letting me off probation early.

I read the paper of the town I lived in (Macon) and they are arresting people with outstanding fines. I have THOUSANDS of dollars in tickets (they've been applying interest) and got really panicked. I was e-mailing Anvilhead, and she reminded me to breathe, then get legal advice. Now, that I'm meeting with Bill (my lawyer buddy), I can get his advice.

So, I'm still at dad's but things are much, much better. There have been no angry outbursts since I told him that I was scared of him at Christmas and will not live anywhere I'm afraid. Brit has decided she needs to grow up a bit, and is also much better. The cats still fight over who gets to sleep on my bed, but they find their own little space.

I feel like I am finally moving forward. If I get off probation, then I can pursue getting my nursing license back. Of course, I will need another lawyer, but have been given the name of a really good one and her fees are not outrageous.

Everything I want to accomplish is going to take money and time, but HP has done a pretty good job of only giving me opportunities when I'm ready (mentally and financially)....funny how that works, huh?

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 05-01-2008, 08:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good luck Amy,sounds like your doing the right thing.
I have 4 cats and man do they like the bed,I,ll wake up and can,t move.The cats will have my body pinned so I can,t move.....Have a great day.Peace Ken
Old 05-01-2008, 09:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing that. There is so much courage and hope in your journey and it's a gift to the rest of us.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Glad you are doing so well Amy! Even w/ setbacks, you maintain your recovery! Fantastic!!!
love ya friend,
susan
Old 05-01-2008, 09:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

yes she is and so very prud to call her my friend and sister!
Old 05-01-2008, 09:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

Geaux Amy, Geaux Amy

I'm doing the happy dance for you!!!!!

Thanks for sharing your recovery with us!!

I'm so proud for YOU!!
Old 05-01-2008, 12:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
remember to breathe

glad to hear you got it goin on!!!
and remember if I hit that powerball your new house is as good as bought!!!!
Old 05-01-2008, 01:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Awesome news! What irks me, though, is that you have to wait for this stupid red tape that is holding you up on the paperwork end. Geesh. I hope it gets resolved very very soon.
Old 05-01-2008, 01:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My husband refused induction into the army during the Vietnam War in the 70's. He was tried as a youthful offender. When Jimmy Carter became president he pardoned those that did what my husband did. My husband thought that was the end of it until he tried to apply for a handgun permit recently. That is when he found out he is still listed as a felon. It has taken him almost a year and it is just now getting resolved. So hang in there. When it comes to the government things sometimes move at a snail's pace. But they do move and it seems that you are reaping the fruits of doing the next right thing. Keep it up Amy. I am proud of you Hugs, Marle
Old 05-01-2008, 03:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well, I am back from the lawyer and everything is being taken care of. Not only is he going to petition to get me off probation and get my record straight, but he is going to find out exactly what I owe in the tickets and address the fact that I'm willing to make arrangements.

I can't believe how good it feels to just pay someone to do a job, and get out of the way while he does it!! We also had a mini-recovery meeting (right there in the Burger King). I thought I would get a lecture about not going to AA meetings, but after we talked he said he thought SR must be a great place and that my recovery sounds pretty darn strong to him! That was a huge compliment, since he has over 20 years sober.

He also said he couldn't believe I am always this "up"...I said "yep, most of the time I am...and when I'm not, I reach out to my friends".

I went to a beautiful state park, walked down the nature trail, then huffed and puffed my way back up.

I realized that if I had moved, I probably wouldn't have the money for the lawyer, and I would be in a state of panic about these tickets. Like I told Bill (lawyer)...I just have to remind myself that HP really does a have a plan for me, and all I have to do is do my part and get of of His way to do his.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 05-01-2008, 04:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

ain't she something???? Glorious example of Recovery in ACTION.......
I second that!!!!

I thought I would get a lecture about not going to AA meetings, ...........that my recovery sounds pretty darn strong to him! That was a huge compliment, since he has over 20 years sober.
]

I know there are some who probably would do that, however, obviously your Lawyer is not one of them, and knows when he sees 'recovery in action.'

He's right, whatever you have been doing up to now, KEEP DOING IT. You have come a long way, with, of course, a long way (the rest of your life, lol) to go. You just keep doing the footwork like you have been and HP will put the next right thing in front of you.

And if you ever have a doubt, go back and read your first posts, you will see just how you have travelled!!!!!!!

Thank you for making my heart smile today.

Love and hugs,
Old 05-01-2008, 05:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

IMPURRFECT-
I am coming to understand that things usually happen at just the speed they are meant to and it is only after wards that we realize this.
You sound like you are growing by leaps and bounds mentally & emotionally.
It is just a matter of patience and you will soon bephysically independent as well.
Redemtion, recovery, inspiration, positivity ...you demonstrate all of these.
Thanks for the support that you have given me here at SR
Old 05-01-2008, 06:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Amy,

I am so proud of you too.
Good things do happen to good people.

When things seem to get overwhelming for me I just keep reminding myself....

How do you eat an elephant...... one bite at a time....

Here's a toast to your first few bites (big ones) ....

Hugs,
Colleen
Old 05-01-2008, 06:48 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

I just heard in a meeting tonight that when you are ready, your HP will give you back the things that you have lost.

You are ready!
Old 05-02-2008, 02:57 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Amy:
I am so happy to hear things are going well for you!!! It will be so awesome once you get your nursing license back. I started in the MICU a few weeks ago and love it. You should come up here and work with me!

Not being able to move out yet does kinda stink, but like you said, at least you now have the money for the lawyer/tickets/probation issues. And now you have more time to save up even more money!

Again, I think you are doing awesome!!!
Love, Vanessa
Old 05-02-2008, 03:19 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Awesome news on the lawyer. I know about the huffing and puffing on nature trails. I need to get out there and do some huffing and puffing myself.
Old 05-02-2008, 08:02 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

You are just awesome Amy! I'm so glad things keep moving forward step by step. I know it is because you work hard on your recovery, do the next right thing then hand it over to your HP. Gosh, that sounds so easy doesn't it? Thanks for always sharing your light here!
Old 05-02-2008, 08:33 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Southern through and through

This all sounds so good, Amy! And what sounds the best is your recovery.

I find when I'm working good recovery, life goes pretty darn good. But I know it's good because I'm NOT acting or reacting the way I used to and my attitude is so much better!" So it's not that my life is all that much better, meaning those circumstances out there ---------------->, but I'm better... inside.

Keep up the good work and good recovery.

Hugs,
Hangin' In
Old 05-02-2008, 09:40 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Impurrfect View Post
I realized that if I had moved, I probably wouldn't have the money for the lawyer, and I would be in a state of panic about these tickets. Like I told Bill (lawyer)...I just have to remind myself that HP really does a have a plan for me, and all I have to do is do my part and get of of His way to do his.
Impurrfect, your first post made me happy to hear that you are in such a great place in your recovery---keeping a positive attitude and trusting in HP. But your reply (partly quoted above), brought (happy) tears to my eyes and warmth to my heart....Good for you, thank you. Rica
Old 05-03-2008, 06:34 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Amy -

what a great reminder this is to keep the faith and doing the next right thing. I'm so glad to hear that the meeting with your lawyer went well and that things can be straightened out. Whatever you are doing is definitely working. SR is like having an instant meeting....I agree with your lawyer friend and everyone else here!

Donna