Notices

R.I.P., old friend

Old 04-28-2008, 11:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

R.I.P., old friend

Just found out today mom had to put our dear old german shepherd Shady down over the weekend. She lived to be 13, which is a pretty good age for such a big dog. It took mom until today to tell me so I can only imagine how difficult it was for her to have to do that by herself, I am 600 miles away otherwise I would have been there. I still remember bringing Ms. Shady home 13 years ago, when I was 20 years old and she was a pup (as was I!). She grew up much faster than I did, and I'm sure you guys know what I mean by that.

Anyway, R.I.P. old gal...

May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind always be at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
and rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.

Thank you for being my friend. You will be greatly missed.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

:ghug
Old 04-28-2008, 12:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

Dogs are good people
Old 04-28-2008, 12:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for your loss. Our pets mean so much to us.

Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...
Old 04-28-2008, 12:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
smileyologist and lord of bees

Very sorry to hear that falling down.
Old 04-28-2008, 12:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks guys, and Anna thank you for giving me a much needed cry. It is sad news but she had a good life, she never knew hunger or life at the end of a chain or any of the other bad things a lot of dogs have had to deal with...I take comfort in the fact that her time on earth was happy, and she knew she was loved which is all a person or animal can really ever ask for.
Old 04-28-2008, 12:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

It is hard when we lose a family member. My thoughts/prayers are with you.
Old 04-28-2008, 01:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Dogs are the best. They give so much & only ask for food & love in return. :ghug2
Old 04-28-2008, 02:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

So sorry about your lose. I'm a pet lover myself and having lost one a couple of months ago I know how you feel.

Barb
Old 04-28-2008, 07:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Sorry for your loss! When i lost my old girl, it was worse than losing a family member.
Old 04-28-2008, 08:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Today was the 9th anniversary since my first greyhound passed away. I'll bet Bart was there to greet Shady and show her around over the rainbow bridge :ghug2
Old 04-28-2008, 10:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

:sorry

Old 04-29-2008, 02:13 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm sorry about Shady. I, too, love my furbabies and they are definitely a part of our family.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 04-29-2008, 05:31 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

When our beloved animals die they go to a place I call God's Meadow. I've had so many pets in my life that I'm sure God had to expand the Meadow to hold them all. When I die I don't want to go to heaven. I want to go to the Meadow and be with my animals.

Your point about Shady never knowing the cruel treatment (hunger or living on a chain) so many dogs live every day. I feel the same way.

Do you have dog(s) of your own? I was able to rescue a little crippled dog last year who had spent his entire life (6 or 7 years) on the end of a chain tied to a garage. Only fed table scraps and never got vet care. We took him in and loved him. He'd never slept on a bed before but got used to it quick. Unfortunately he was so undernourished that when he got sick two months later, he couldn't fight it off and he died. I was devastated but also glad to know that his last two months were the only happy time he had. A month later the same rescue lady begged us to take one of her rescues. We did, and are so happy to share our life with him.

I know all too well how you are feeling. Remember the happy times.

:ghug3
Old 04-29-2008, 07:29 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Helping Others, Helps Me

My ex-gf kept my two boys (two male cats) but we still talk and see each other....they are such a huge part of her life, she just gets all proud when I talk about em with her. I sure do miss em' a lot, especially because we used to live together and the like when we first got them both. I try not to think about losing them, but I know we will "hopefully" outlive them. And that is extremely hard to me, because I have already grown attached to my boys. We talk about em like they're our children...lol

I cannot watch animal planet and stuff because i hate to see animals suffer....because they all at some point were loving animals....
Old 04-29-2008, 07:34 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

My condolances on your lose, when I hit rainbow bridge I have a feeling there will be a zoo rushing me!!!
Old 04-29-2008, 07:41 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Aww gosh guys, just now had a chance to get back in here and I thank you all from the bottom of my heart for your thoughts and condolences. Yes I have four dogs of my own, a six year old rottweiler named Max whose health has not been good lately, an 8 year old border collie mix named Daisy, and 8 year old collie mix named Tiff, and a five year old lab/shar pei mix named Piggy. We don't have kids so they are my babies. Is it my imagination or is that gratitude I see in their eyes when I go to bed sober? I'm thinking many of you animal lovers on here can relate to this.

Magic I totally understand what you are saying about your cats, I cannot even think about life without my most loyal friends and I hope they all live to a very ripe old age!
Old 04-29-2008, 08:04 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Helping Others, Helps Me

You remind me a lot of my uncle dick.... He is such a good man and never had any kids with him and his wife. They had like 6 dogs plus a couple of cats....I don't know exactly how many they have now, but he truly loves and lives for animals. He lives in a remote area with like 200+ acres and has a hobby farm. But there comes a point where as you age, all of your dogs do as well. As I grew older, his dogs eventually started to fade out. But he had this one dog, velvet, he would bring it everywhere with him. The dog could hardly walk but he still packed him up in the truck and brought him over to grandpa and grandmas.... You're not alone when you lose a loved one.... I don't care what people say, our pets are our family too, if you let them.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:15 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Heck Magic I'll probably never have kids...but mark my words, I'll always have dogs. I'd have cats, too, if the dogs would allow it. I don't even want to think about new dogs, but I know as long as there are dogs out there needing a home then I'll have dogs. I guess that's what terrifies me when I think about the end result of alcoholism:

Death
Jail
Institution

Because they don't let you have dogs (or cats) at any of those places. Generally.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:18 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Helping Others, Helps Me

i cannot respond to that post, it makes me sad i feel for you, i am in your boat I promise