Notices

Made it through the weekend, *****

Old 04-28-2008, 08:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Made it through the weekend, *****

Hello everyone and happy Monday. Just wanted to check in and let ya'll know that this past weekend was not a repeat of the one before it. I had a completely serene, sober weekend. Sure I had a few moments of wistfulness thinking about drinking...but friends, those moments DO pass, rather quickly if you find something else to turn your attention to. Finished a book by Jodi Picoult, Picture Perfect (thank you Anna for the rec, good read) and got a lot of work done, watched tV, bought myself a coffee maker because I personally have found that when you give yourself a lot of options as far as beverages go, it is a lot easier to turn away from the alcohol especially if you live with someone who still keeps it in the fridge. So I have stocked mine with water and pop, milk and tea and now coffee...yum. And my husband did not push the beer on me which helped immensely as well. Oh I know I'm getting all excited about baby steps here...one sober weekend when many of you have YEARS of sober weekends, but one thing I've learned at SR is to take it one day at a time. For those of you who cannot foresee making it through the weekends, please know that it IS possible and probably easier than you are thinking so don't give up.

Anyhoo..that's all for now, have a happy Monday all.

Love & hugs
Fallin
Old 04-28-2008, 08:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Super news Fallin!

And, I think it's all about baby-steps. That's how we move forward. You can build on the positive feelings from getting through this past weekend.

And, since we're kind of talking books - my favorite Jodi Picoult book is 'My Sister's Keeper'. In a sentence - a family has a baby who develops a terminal illness and can only be saved by a bone marrow transplant. Since there are no matches the family has another baby for the purpose of hopefully being a donor. That child goes through a multitude of painful procedures and the story is told from her point of view. It's being made into a movie at the moment with Cameron Diaz. I can't wait for it to come out. What I love about her books is that they tackle tough issues and work through that vast 'gray' area in life.
Old 04-28-2008, 08:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Way to go! Keep up the good work!
Old 04-28-2008, 08:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Glad you had a good weekend fallingdown,
take it easy and best wishes.
Old 04-28-2008, 08:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Anna-I wondered if you had a favorite JP novel. I do certainly agree that she tackles the gray areas of life, although most of the way through Picture Perfect I must admit to repeatedly smacking my forehead with the palm of my hand and it dawned on me how funny it is I have a zero tolerance policy against spousal abuse but have put up with quite a bit of SELF abuse over the years. Anyway books are expensive so I am always thrilled to get my money's worth out of a read, so thank you again!
Old 04-28-2008, 11:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

My library card is a great resource.

Happy Monday to you too!
Old 04-28-2008, 11:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

FD

YES! Way to go.

I make sure my fridge always has grapefruit juice. For some reason, it helps me chase the willies away.

Another thing that helps is having a plan for the weekend and time alone. Doesn't have to be detailed, just a What if? kind of thing.

Peace

warren
Old 04-28-2008, 11:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Wooohoo for you!

Just like Warren....a plan definately helps for my weekends...especially Fridays!

:ghug
Old 04-28-2008, 12:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hooray for you Fallin,

Those baby steps can be pretty big sometimes so give yourself a BIG pat on the back from me!!! Its even harder when its right in front of you or as you put it "pushing it on you". My boyfriend and I are doing this together!!!

I'll be looking for that movie Anna....but the movie is never as good as the book so I hope your not disappointed!.

HB