Could this be an illusion? I need to thank you.

Old 04-26-2008, 06:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Could this be an illusion? I need to thank you.

I joined with you last week in distress over what my daughter was doing to herself.

In desperation I asked for your guidance and help. I took what you told me seriously and applied it. There have been some amazing results since then.

Little things are changing, but an incredible thing happened last night. She was with a group of friends and yes she was drinking slowly and at about 9pm she walked in the front door. She told us that she was so over what she was doing and had to stop enabling her friends and joining them in their demise.

She was sober on a Saturday night!! Wonders will never cease, but told us that she just walked away from them and came home. She just couldn't do it anymore.

She was talking to us this morning and I did tell her that I was proud of her. She had taken the first step in climbing out of that dark hole she had dug for herself. One of her friends came here this morning and she laid it out there for him to. That she really couldn't be friends with people who were doing the same self destructive behaviour as she was. She had to look after herself.

I told her to give her two pats on the back - 1 for walking away and 2 for standing up for herself this morning.

I am not going to get over jubilent about this just yet, but there is a glimmer of hope in this.

Thank you so much for giving me the information last week. The detachment, praying and doing nothing for her has truly hit her - I think. She has not been intoxicated for 6 days.

So again, thank you for grabbing hold of my hand and walking me through this. I had no idea that do nothing was the answer.
Old 04-26-2008, 06:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

Wow what wonderful news! You keep doing what you are doing. Thank you so much for sharing this.
Old 04-26-2008, 06:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

Yep, it can take us a long time to understand that we are not boss of the universe.
Inaction can be the best action.
Most of our stress we create ourselves.
Very good news that you are a quick study and that your daughter is
finding her way.
Old 04-27-2008, 06:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
gmc

This IS wonderful news and I am very happy for you!

gmc
Old 04-27-2008, 08:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
cmc

Thanks so much for sharing. I'm happy to hear that your daughter is off to such a good start and most of all I'm so glad to learn that YOU are doing so well in your own right!
Recovery feels good doesn't it?
Old 04-28-2008, 05:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good for you and good for your daughter! I hope she continues to make the healthier choices.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

This is wonderful! glad your daughter is moving in the right direction-and that you are taking care of you!!
Old 04-30-2008, 11:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

This really is wonderful news. I've heard it said many times that alcoholism and addiction are indeed diseases of relationships... and if just one person makes a positive change, the entire relationship can change for the better.

Hurray!

Cats