Notices

Caffeine & Anxiety

Old 04-24-2008, 08:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Caffeine & Anxiety

I’ve been reading a lot lately about caffeine and that its consumption can cause symptoms that mimic those of a variety of mental disorders in people. I’ve come to suspect, and maybe believe, that caffeine is the number one offender (if not the cause) in my Social Anxiety or Panic Disorder.

I’ve also read that the symptoms of caffeine consumption can mimic the symptoms of generalized anxiety disorder, agoraphobia, depression, bipolar disorder, and schizophrenia among other mental illnesses.

What I was wondering is whether any of you that suspect that you may have any sort of mental illness, even a simple anxiety disorder (if there is such a thing), also drink caffeine.

Would you mind stating whether or not you drink caffeine, and, if so, how much?

Also, if you’ve quit for a period of time: how long did you quit for; and what differences, if any, did you notice?

FWI. I’ve been reading that some chemical dependency treatment centers now refuse to serve caffeinated beverages to patients because they acknowledge that it is a mind altering substance. Of course, there are still those that claim to detox a person from all mind altering substances but still serve up the java – not to mention that they gladly provide areas for nicotine consumption.
Old 06-01-2008, 01:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Never give up!

I too had read about caffiene being one of the causes to trigger anxiety and I totally stopped drinking it after that, other than eating the occasional chocolate as you may or may not know contains caffeine. Anyhow, I totally did realize the connection as when I did drink it I did feel much more anxious and this is one of the things that can throw one into an anxiety attack. I did have the occasional diet coke with caffiene with decaf was not available and seemed to be okay. After about a year of "avoiding" it I started to drink a cup of coffee here and there and have no issues. Of course I have been on medication for about 3 years (Prozac, 20 mg a day) and have had some great counseling. I also exercise as that is an excellent way in assisting (fighting) anxiety. I hope this helped some! Good luck to you!
Old 06-01-2008, 03:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
To Life!

I cut back significantly on my caffine years ago, when I was having anxiety issues. I now drink "lite" coffee in the morning. It's a 1/2 regular and 1/2 decaf blend; I drink 2 cups which is the equilivent of one regular cup of coffee. Sometimes I'll have another, or a diet soda in the early afternoon, if I need that "pick me up." My doc is very happy with this, and I'm feeling fine.

Shalom!
Old 06-05-2008, 07:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Barto, sorry to be missing. I dropped the decaf for awhile and found it overall insignificant. But do not do the full fledged caffeine things (other than some chocolate).
It seems that in my case,....my hormones are far more powerful and have far more effect on anxiety, and etc etc than the decaf.

I did find out I really like sleepytime tea brewed strong and made into iced tea.

hugs,
Tena
Old 06-06-2008, 09:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Smile

I think decaf frustrates my tapering the medication. I don’t know if it would be an issue if I stayed on the medicine. In fact, I could probably get used to regular coffee on the meds (maybe at a higher dose). I’m not sure how good this would be for me though. Because I will try to taper completely off the meds again, I’m off even decaf for the moment. It’s day by day though. If I really need some coffee, I’ll have some decaf. So far, I have no craving though – but only at day six.
Old 06-06-2008, 09:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I did read that tinnitus is a major problem when tapering benzos but eventually goes away?
Old 06-07-2008, 12:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
sct

I have a variety of anxiety disorders- currently in counseling for those- and in NA for recovery, and I own an espresso machine. Honestly, I don't see much of a difference adding/subtracting caffeine. How nuts I feel has much more to do with what I'm dealing with than how much coffee I drink.
Old 06-07-2008, 02:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
"Meow. No, I am not a pup!

I found no difference when life was cruising along but if I had coffee at stressful time, I fell apart. I have given up for over a month and feel beeter for it. I have occaisional weak tea. I think it is one of those things which affects some people badly. The most I could ever have without shakingwas 2 lattes.
Old 06-07-2008, 02:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Smile

Originally Posted by liveweyerd View Post
I did read that tinnitus is a major problem when tapering benzos but eventually goes away?
Mine never went away, even after I went back on. I’m starting to think it has nothing to do with benzos.
Old 06-07-2008, 02:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

This is all interesting.

I hope to find out soon and put the issue to bed one way or another. I’m now seven days off all caffeine (but still in caffeine withdrawal).

What anxiety disorders have you been diagnosed with sct?
Old 06-07-2008, 07:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
sct

ptsd, avoidant personality disorder, ocd, borderline personality, social phobia, selective mutism (mostly related to ptsd)- and formerly antisocial personality and factor 2 psychotic, but the last two have been rescinded since I've been clean and seeing a counselor.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:37 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

That’s quite a list. Did one shrink diagnose you, or did you see several?

No panic disorder or agoraphobia?

Are you taking any meds for any of these?
Old 06-10-2008, 07:00 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thumbs down

Barto:

Thanks for bringing this up. I can no longer intake caffeine in any weight, shape or form. I have PTSD, and even one coke will re-traumatize me. And it takes days for my brain chemistry -- which is already screwed -- to stabilize again.
Old 06-13-2008, 04:42 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Barto......is it all that LOUD music?
Old 06-14-2008, 06:24 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Caffeine is not good for my anxiety because it does NOT help me relax.

Relaxation is critical in managing my anxiety, caffeine makes me 'jumpy'.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:41 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Real caffeine coffee does make me clench my jaws, feel frustrated and irritable.
Barto, I just switched from xanax to clonopin, like it MUCH better altho I do still have a small scrip for xanax for breakthrough anxiety and panic.

You take such a small amount of clonopin, why do you find that unacceptable?
Old 07-07-2008, 05:58 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Lost-n-Found

Hey Barto,
What are you up to? Haven't seen you 'round in a while. I hope all's well.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:35 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

ditto with 2Ala2!

oH BOY.....know how students cram coffee for exams etc. I did that over the last week and an half, tho' it wasn't exams.

TRAINWRECK!

I find now that I can't even drink decaf coffee after a certain time, but the decaf iced tea does not bother me.
However I must also factor in that I am out of trazadone so I am not sleeping more than a couple hours at a time and find myself still awake at 3 am. Will definitely pick up trazadone scrip tomorrow and refill. I am wiped out.

Tena
Old 07-14-2008, 02:28 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
To Life!

I found this and thought it would be an interesting addition to your thread, Barto!
At least, it's important to know how much caffine we intake, to know if we are having a problem with it or not, no?

How much caffeine is in your daily habit?

If you're like most adults, caffeine is a part of your daily routine. But more than 500 to 600 milligrams of caffeine a day, or about four to seven cups of coffee, can cause restlessness, anxiety, headaches and other problems. Know how much caffeine is in your diet. You may be consuming more than you think.

Coffee

Type of coffee--------------------- Caffeine (milligrams)

Caribou Cappuccino, 12 oz.--------- 160-200
Decaffeinated, instant, 8 oz.-------- 2
Decaffeinated, brewed, 8 oz.-------- 2
Espresso, 1 fluid oz.----------------- 64
Instant, 8 oz. -----------------------62
Plain, brewed, 8 ounces (oz.) --------95
Starbucks Caffe Latte, 16 oz. --------150
Starbucks Coffee Grande, 16 oz. -----330

Sources: Caribou Coffee Co., 2007; Starbucks Corp., 2007; USDA National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference, 2007

Tea

Type of tea----------------------------------Caffeine (milligrams)
Black tea, brewed, 8 ounces (oz.) ------------47
Decaffeinated, black tea, 8 oz. ---------------2
Green tea, brewed, 8 oz. ---------------------30-50
Lipton Brisk Iced Tea, lemon flavored, 12 oz.---10
Nestea, sweetened or unsweetened, 12 oz. ---17
Snapple Iced Tea, 16 oz. ---------------------18
Sobe Green Tea, 8 oz. ------------------------14
Starbucks Tazo Chai Tea Latte, 12 oz. ---------75

Sources: Center for Science in the Public Interest, 2007; The Coca-Cola Co., 2007; PepsiCo Inc., 2007; Starbucks Corp., 2007; USDA National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference, 2007

Soft drinks

Soft drink brand (12 ounces) --------------------Caffeine (milligrams)

7Up --------------------------------------------0
A&W Creme Soda -------------------------------29
Barq's Root Beer --------------------------------23
Cherry Coca-Cola, Diet Cherry Coca-Cola ---------35
Coca-Cola Classic -------------------------------35
Code Red Mountain Dew -------------------------54
Diet Barq's Root Beer---------------------------- 0
Diet Coke ---------------------------------------47
Dr Pepper, Diet Dr. Pepper -----------------------41
Diet Pepsi ---------------------------------------35
Diet Wild Cherry Pepsi ----------------------------38
Fanta --------------------------------------------0
Mello Yello ---------------------------------------53
Mountain Dew, Diet Mountain Dew -----------------54
Pepsi ---------------------------------------------38
Sprite, Sprite Zero --------------------------------0
Sunkist Orange Soda ------------------------------41
Tab ----------------------------------------------47
Wild Cherry Pepsi ---------------------------------38

Sources: The Coca-Cola Co., 2007; Dr Pepper/Seven Up Inc., 2007; Journal of Food Science, 2007; PepsiCo Inc., 2007

Sports/Energy drinks

Sports/Energy drink brand ----------------------------Caffeine(milligrams)

AMP Tall Boy Energy Drink, 16 ounces (oz.) ------------143
Enviga, 12 oz. ----------------------------------------100
Full Throttle, 16 oz. -----------------------------------144
Full Throttle Fury, 16 oz. ------------------------------144
Monster Energy, 16 oz. --------------------------------160
No Name (formerly known as Cocaine), 8.4 oz. ----------280
Red Bull, 8.3 oz. ---------------------------------------76
Rockstar, 16 oz. ---------------------------------------160
SoBe Adrenaline Rush, 16 oz. ---------------------------152
SoBe No Fear, 16 oz. -----------------------------------174
Vault, 8 oz. --------------------------------------------47
Sources: Beverage Partners Worldwide, 2007; The Coca-Cola Co., 2007; Monster Beverage Co., 2007; PepsiCo Inc., 2007; Redux Beverages, 2007; Rockstar, 2007; USDA National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference, 2007

Food and other products

Product name ------------------------------Caffeine(milligrams)

Excedrin, Extra Strength,2 tablets -----------130
Foosh Energy Mints, 1 mint ------------------100
Haagen-Dazs Coffee IceCream, 1/2 cup -------30
Hershey's Chocolate Bar,1.55 ounces (oz.) ----9
Hershey's Special Dark Chocolate Bar, 1.45 oz.-18
Jolt Caffeinated Gum, 1 stick -----------------33
NoDoz Maximum Strength,1 tablet ------------200
Starbucks Coffee Ice Cream,8 oz. ------------50-60

Sources: Center for Science in the Public Interest, 2007; Haagen-Dazs, 2007; The Hershey Co., 2007; Vroom Foods Inc., 2007

©1998-2008 Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research (MFMER)
Shalom!
Old 07-14-2008, 02:40 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
To Life!

And to know how much is too much; when to cut and how to cut your consumption, take a look at this article!

Caffeine: How much is too much?

In less than an hour you start to feel caffeine's effects. You're more alert, energetic and productive. Your mood lifts and that foggy, tired feeling is gone.

If you rely on daily doses of caffeine to chase away fatigue and perk up your disposition, you aren't alone. Nine out of 10 Americans consume some type of caffeine regularly, making it the most popular behavior-altering drug.

For most people, moderate doses of caffeine - 200 to 300 milligrams (mg), or about two to three cups of brewed coffee a day - aren't harmful. But some circumstances, such as caffeine sensitivity or use of certain medications, may warrant limiting or even ending your caffeine routine. Find out if you need to decaffeinate your diet and, if so, how you can do it with minimal distress.

When to cut caffeine use

Certain circumstances call for reducing the amount of caffeine you consume. Evaluate your habits. If any of these situations apply, you may need to cut back.

You consume unhealthy amounts
Though moderate caffeine intake isn't likely to cause harm, too much can noticeably affect your health. Heavy daily caffeine use - more than 500 to 600 mg a day, or about four to seven cups of coffee - can cause:

Restlessness
Anxiety
Irritability
Muscle tremors
Sleeplessness
Headaches
Nausea, diarrhea or other gastrointestinal problems
Abnormal heart rhythms

You have caffeine sensitivity
If you're susceptible to the caffeine's effects, just small amounts - even one cup of coffee or tea - may prompt unwanted results, such as anxiety, restlessness and irritability. The more sensitive you are to caffeine, the less you need to consume before feeling its influence.

Your sensitivity depends on many factors, including:

Body mass. People with smaller body masses feel the effects of caffeine sooner than those with larger body masses.
History of caffeine use. People who don't regularly consume caffeine tend to be more susceptible to its negative effects than are people who do.
Stress. All types of stress - for example, psychological stress or heat stress - can increase a person's sensitivity to caffeine.
Other factors can contribute to variations in caffeine sensitivity as well, including age, smoking habits, drug or hormone use, and other health conditions, such as anxiety disorders.

You're not sleeping well
Most adults need seven to eight hours of sleep each night. But caffeine can interfere with this much-needed sleep. Chronically losing sleep - whether it's from work, travel, stress or too much caffeine - results in sleep deprivation. Sleep loss is cumulative, and even small nightly decreases can add up and disturb your daytime function. Sleep deprivation can cause impaired memory, mood swings, lack of concentration, and poor performance at work or school.

Using caffeine to mask sleep deprivation creates an unwelcome cycle. For example, you drink caffeinated beverages because you have trouble staying awake during the day. But the caffeine keeps you from falling asleep at night, shortening the length of time you sleep. Caffeine can also increase the number of times you wake up during the night and can interfere with deep sleep, which makes your night less restful. With less sleep and poor-quality sleep, you're more tired the next day. To battle the fatigue and to feel more energetic, you reach for your morning jolt of Java.

The best way to break this cycle is to limit your caffeine and to add more hours of quality sleep to your day. Also, avoid caffeinated beverages eight hours before your desired bedtime. Your body doesn't store caffeine, but it does take many hours for it to eliminate the stimulant and its effects.

You're taking certain medications and supplements
Certain medications and herbal supplements negatively interact with caffeine. The following are some examples.

Some antibiotics. Ciprofloxacin (Cipro) and norfloxacin (Noroxin) - types of antibacterial medications - can interfere with the breakdown of caffeine. This may increase the length of time caffeine remains in your body and amplify its unwanted effects.
Theophylline (Theo-24, Uniphyl, others). This medication - which opens up bronchial airways by relaxing the surrounding muscles (a bronchodilator) - tends to have some caffeine-like effects. Taking this drug along with caffeinated foods and beverages may increase the concentration of theophylline in your blood. This can cause ill effects, such as nausea, vomiting and heart palpitations. If you take theophylline, your doctor may advise that you avoid caffeine.
Ephedra (ma-huang). This herbal dietary supplement increases your risk of heart attack, stroke, seizures and death. Combined with caffeine, it becomes especially risky. The Food and Drug Administration has banned ephedra in the marketplace because of health concerns. This ban applies to dietary supplements but not herbal teas, which may still contain the herb.
Talk to your doctor or pharmacist about whether caffeine might affect your prescription. He or she can best direct you on whether you need to reduce or eliminate caffeine from your diet.

How to curb your caffeine consumption

Caffeine can be habit-forming, so any attempts to stop or lessen the amount you normally consume can be challenging. An abrupt decrease in caffeine can cause withdrawal symptoms, such as headaches, fatigue, irritability and nervousness. These symptoms usually resolve after several days.

To adopt new caffeine habits, try these tips:

Know how much caffeine is in the foods and beverages you consume. You may be consuming more than you think.
Gradually reduce the amount of caffeine you consume. For example, drink one less can of soda or drink a smaller cup of coffee each day. This will help your body get used to the lower levels of caffeine and thereby lessen the withdrawal effects.
Replace caffeinated coffee, tea and soda with their decaffeinated counterparts. Most decaffeinated beverages look and taste the same.
When preparing tea, brew for less time. This cuts down on its caffeine content. Or choose herbal teas, which don't contain this stimulant.
Check the caffeine content in over-the-counter medications that you take. Pain relief or headache medications, such as Excedrin or Anacin, can contain from 65 mg to 130 mg of caffeine in one dose. Switch to caffeine-free versions, if possible.
If you're like most adults, caffeine is a part of your daily routine. And most often it doesn't pose a health problem. But be mindful of those situations in which you need to curtail your caffeine consumption.
Caffeine: How much is too much? - Revolution Health
Related articles can be found on this site.

Hope you found these helpful!

Shalom!