Notices
View Poll Results: When you found sobriety & how?
Did you get sober before you came to SR?
37.14%
Did you get sober after you came to SR?
31.43%
Did you get sober without a program and then come to SR?
11.43%
Did you get sober with a program and then come to SR?
40.00%
Did you get and stay sober just using SR?
11.43%
Do you use a program to stay sober?
40.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Sobriety Poll???

Old 04-24-2008, 07:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Sobriety Poll???

Just curious who found sobriety before they found SR, who found sobriety after coming to SR and if you used a program to stay sober or just SR. Or did you find sobriety before SR without a program.
Old 04-24-2008, 07:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well Taz, I'm sure your pretty familiar with my story, but others may not be. I found SR almost three years ago. I went on the drink, quit, relapse, drink, quit relapse cycle for most of that time. It was not until a little over three months ago that I accepted the fact that Dan's way did not work. Then I begin to move in the right direction. At that time I became involved in AA. I can tell a distinct difference in my sobriety now compared to before. If it were not for SR and the passion many of you guys and gals had for AA I may not ever have tried AA. I believe AA is my best chance at a lasting, quality sobriety, and I have SR to thank for it.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
smileyologist and lord of bees

I got sober after coming to SR, posted on here drunk quite a few times at the beginning.

Don't use a program - but I do find SR a great help when I'm struggling.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
I came to SR after 1 1/2 years in AA and use this site as an addition to my recovery program. I stayed until the miracle happened and try to come back every day

I've made so many friends here, and have plenty of fond memories. After I'd been here a couple months I got a few PM's from some guy named Martin It was nice to share my experience, strength, and hope with another member, now I look forward to that every day.

Thanks for starting this poll Taz!
Old 04-24-2008, 08:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I got sober in AA - and found SR soon after. I use them both regularly to maintain sobriety and spirituality.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I found AA, and I knew I needed to reach out for all the help I could possibly get. So I found SR a few days after my first meeting.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

I got sober in AA, I was sober about 3 months when I came to SR, it is an excellent supplement to AA for me. I have made quite a few freinds here.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
*Grateful*

I found SR, and started on my way....had a relapse, and a lady on here who just got her 1 yr told me to go find a face to face meeting and get a sponsor. So I took her advice, followed directions, found outside meetings of NA & AA and now I am clean for 95 days w/ the use of both SR and NA.

Today I have an attitude of gratitude. :-)
Old 04-24-2008, 08:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
where the light is

Lurked on SR for about two years - trying to quit on my own, some counselling support, self-help books, reading inspiring posts - didn't work but certainly helped (good stretches of sobriety, learning).

Quit drinking & joined AA & SR on the same day. Prayer/spiritual awakening, AA - steps/sponsor/meetings, SR, support of family members, self-help books, taking better care of myself - everything fits together. It's a good life.

The day I joined this site, I was so full of self-hatred & hopelessness. Some kind people here gave me strength when I had none, gave me hope. They carried me. I'll never forget that.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Came here to SR last Nov. Did not use a program but went to couseling.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:06 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gravity View Post
The day I joined this site, I was so full of self-hatred & hopelessness. Some kind people here gave me strength when I had none, gave me hope. They carried me. I'll never forget that.
Man...that gives me goosebumps. And a lump in my throat. :ghug2
Old 04-24-2008, 09:07 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

I came to SR at my lowest point. It only took a few weeks after meeting the folks here, and finding so much love and support, that I was able to get sober. I found AA shortly thereafter..

I always include SR on my list of blessings..I don't think I would've had the courage to seek recovery if not for all the awesome folks here!

Karen
Old 04-24-2008, 09:07 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
not a greeter

I stopped drinking and on day 6 (I think) I posted my first post here. I then started IOP for approx. 2 months. I don't go to AA (though I've been to a few meetings).

Now, which answer fits me ?
Old 04-24-2008, 09:37 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Now, which answer fits me ?
You tell us? LOL
Old 04-24-2008, 09:42 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
So far the results of this poll are really surprising to me, that so many got sober after they came to SR. But if it works that's wonderful, as long as something is working for you!
Old 04-24-2008, 11:47 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Originally Posted by Tazman53 View Post
You tell us? LOL

When you found sobriety & how?
Did you get sober before you came to SR? Yes
Did you get sober after you came to SR? Yes I'm getting sober everyday .
Did you get sober without a program and then come to SR? Yes
Did you get sober with a program and then come to SR? NO
Did you get and stay sober just using SR? n/a I used IOP & SR
Do you use a program to stay sober? n/a
Old 04-24-2008, 11:49 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I went to treatment and got sober in AA. I was on vacation and found this site since I could not get to a meeting. Now it is part of my everyday life. I think about you people when I'm not near my computer!! I have friends in AA and here. Life is good.
Old 04-24-2008, 12:06 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Today is day 55 for me. AA has kept me sober, and SR is great for me as a compliment to the program. As we only have one meeting a week I am grateful for all the support and knowledge I gain from this site.
Old 04-24-2008, 12:24 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I was sober about 8 months when I 'stumbled' across SR from another link that had nothing to do with recovery.

I was familiar with forums and chatrooms and such (have been chatting online since 1992 - old UNIX/IRC channels) - but I had no idea there could be this sort of support.

There are people here I trust completely, people I call my friends - that know a heck of a lot more detail about me then what I post (ie - Full name, address, phone number etc).

It's amazing and in a way - keeps me engaged with recovery during these (more often than not recently) boring work days.

~a
Old 04-24-2008, 12:25 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

With the help and support of the people at SR, I found a deeper form of sobriety then what I had before coming here.
I have been alcohol free for many years but can't say I had any form of real sobriety start till about June of 98.
An AA member guided me to the path of not drinking to solve some of my problems many years ago. June of 98, I bought my very first bible and as I started to read, I started finding answers to my other problems and started to gain sobriety.