Notices

Trying my best to do good :)

Old 04-22-2008, 05:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Trying my best to do good :)

I've done a really good job of staying away from my old vices, most recently alcohol. I've been having a hard time going to sleep and staying asleep lately, so I doubled up on a dose of cough syrup to do the trick. It always helped in the past (though usually in much larger quantity), but this time it made me paranoid and feel really f-d up. Is this normal when you've recently quit drinking alcohol?
Old 04-22-2008, 05:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

How much did you consume? Some cough syrup contains dxm, which acts as a dissociative at higher doses. I can't think of anything else in the medicine that would cause that reaction, but if you've recently quit drinking, it could be the physical effects of withdrawal.
Old 04-22-2008, 05:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

You should check with your dr about the side-effects you are experiencing.

It's pretty common to have sleeping problems in early sobriety and over time, things will probably settle down for you.
Old 04-22-2008, 05:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Im not a doctor, but I dont think it's a good idea to take double doses of cough syrup. Can you ask you doctor about help with sleeping. Make sure the doctor know's about your vices as well.
Old 04-22-2008, 05:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to both of our new members...

Here is a link that might help with sleeping problems

Insomnia? 41 Simple Tips to Help You Get to Sleep - Insomnia treatment, cures
Old 04-22-2008, 05:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Originally Posted by Toomutch View Post
Im not a doctor, but I dont think it's a good idea to take double doses of cough syrup. Can you ask you doctor about help with sleeping. Make sure the doctor know's about your vices as well.
Taking cough medicines at higher than recommended doses can cause nervousness and insomnia so it would be best to speak with your doctor and stick to the recommended doses.

Welcome to our new members!
Old 04-22-2008, 08:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for all your comments! I'm very happy to have found this new support network, especially since I've found leaving my vices behind involves leaving many old friends behind as well.

I do know it's not a GOOD idea to use otcs as a sleep aid if its not what they are meant to do. It is something I've used in the past successfully to fall asleep (at much higher doses) and my paranoia and mental state really caught me off guard and made me uncomfortable. I was wondering if anyone else had experienced anything similar.

Thank you very much for the link, CarolD, and I will be sure to check it out in a few minutes!
Old 04-22-2008, 08:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Theres a raeson for a dosage on the label dotn double up. And if Im not mistaken I think there Is alcohol in many cough medicines. Check the labels and use as directed.

Its very normal to have insomnia when getting off drugs and or alcohol.

Check the link carol recommende there are some suggestions you might want to try rather than the cough medicine.