Good Pain (Long)

Old 04-22-2008, 10:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Rest peacefully Sonny Boy

Good Pain (Long)

Boy oh boy do I hurt. I hurt in places that I didn't even know I had. Even my butt cheeks hurt...is that possible?

My empty nest has now become a full house. My son, his wife and the new baby had to move back in with me...no jobs. Vicky's baby is due in the next 2 weeks.

This old house that I bought is 4 stories, I only had one story liveable, but with everyone moving back in, I've had to get on the ball and start working on another floor. There are only 2 bathrooms and one had a leak in the drain pipe in between floors so after sharing one bathroom with five other people here, I got the bright idea to just jump in and "fix" that little leak. HA!

The only one physically able to help me was my son. He knows how to tear a computer apart blindfolded and put it back togeather. He has no concept of actual physical labor or home repairs. So here was my opportunity to kill two birds with one stone. Repair the leak and teach my son a much needed skill in life.

We grab the tools, this should be simple, probably a frozen pipe busted, simple quick fix.........

New toilet already there, previous owners had just put in, all I gotta do is pry up their old boards and.....

Son, get me the sawzall,.. prybar,.. drill,.. hammer, eeewww, something sure does stink. Hmmm. carpet padding used as insulation, that was innovative, yuck wet too. Finelly, the pipes. Nothings broke. No leaks or water on the pipes. Hmmmm, trace back that water, it goes under the darned toilet. Shoot, shoot, shoot, didn't want to have to remove the toilet darn it.

SON, Please turn off that computer and help me lift this toilet. What do you mean you don't want to touch the wax ring, you have to touch it to get it scraped off! Give it to me. Sawzall, hammer, drill, prybar....open that window and please go get some air freshener. But mom, my legs hurt from going up and down those steps a hundred times. (We all have to walk down the stairs to the basement to use the bathroom, lots of stairs.)

Whoo Hoo, found the leak! What? Wait a second, what the heck is going on? You've Got to be kidding me. I'm not believing this. The leak from the sink isn't a broken pipe, the stinking 2" drain pipe attaches to NOTHING! It's just laying there, under the toilet dumping water into the ceiling above my living room. Oh NO, and worse, there isn't any possible way to connect it to anything without totally redoing the whole plumbing system, from the basement to the third floor. Son of a biscuit eater! Not a single shut off valve anywhere, have to shut off the water at the street.

Now we have NO bathroom, no sink water. Gotta re-route the plumbing, move the toilet, run new lines, tear out the wall in the living room to get to the new lines, God please don't let any of the old galvanize pipes start leaking with all this moving them around.

PVC cutters.. Hack saw..Sawzall.....vvvrrrrrmmm as my whole body is vibrating more than the saw because the floor joist I'm trying to notch out is a stinking 100 year old beam that has petrified to stone!

Ten trips to the store. Did you know that a 4" pipe now, is not the same size as a 4" pipe made thirty or fourty years ago? Nope, it's not, sorry lady, you will have to just replace it all, there is no connectors that will work. I'll be darned! I'm going to make it work...as I sit down in the isle of Lowes with my old toilet sweep (eeewwwuuu) and lay out a system with parts and pieces that really aren't made for that, but hey, found what fit togeather...So there! Ha! Told you I would find a way.

We are at this point, three days into this simple little fix. Cleaner, glue, fitting.....Mom! you're getting that glue and cleaner everywhere! I'm covered with it so bad, I'm starting to stick to things, LOL.

OK, WOW, I did a good job. Testing, testing, testing....Son, go out to the street and turn on the water. Cool, everything works. Good job Mom, Thank you Son, thanks for your help, now all we have to do is button it up.

As I'm sitting there admiring my work, exhaused and listening to the happy voices downstairs because they now have the water back on, I'm feeling pretty good. But wait...what is that? Is that a drop of water? That is one of the old fittings that was "new" that I hadn't replaced. As I run my fingers along it and pull them back with a single drop of water on them....POW...all hell breakes loose...the pipe breaks, I have full city water pressure blasting me as I'm yelling to the top of my lungs to SHUT OFF THE WATER, while I'm trying to hold that darn pipe togeather, a very fruitless effort, no one can hear me yelling. So I drop it, just about kill myself running down those stairs and out to the street to shut off the water. My son gets there two seconds before me.

As we walk back into the house, I see the water flowing out of my freshly painted living room ceiling, I'm shaking like a leaf and just want to cry. Throw pots everywhere and just wait till all the water works its way through.

The next morning, a simple little connecter to glue and it's fixed. Slap insulation in, throw the floor back down, install the toilet and I'm so stinking mad at this point that I've decided if it leaks, tough, I'll just shut that bathroom down and everyone will just have to live with the toilet in the basement! I'm done! No more fixing!

Wow, it works, no leaks, looks good, I even stubbed out for a bathtub in the future without having to go back into that mess. Now all I have to do is put down new vinyl (destroyed the old) and fix that nasty mess in my living room ceiling and of course repaint it and close the wall down there back up.

Whew! Boy do I hurt.

Hey son.....why doesn't this electrical outlet work? Get me a screw driver.....

It feels good to hurt from this kind of drama. LOL

B
Old 04-22-2008, 10:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Is that something like Murphys Law. Thanks for the chuckle of course I'm sure your thinking NOTHING funny about it....... Great job you should pat yourself on the back!!
Old 04-22-2008, 10:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Holy Cow! That was quite a project! I bet you hurt! I am impressed. I'll do most anything, at least try to, but plumbing and electrical feel very out of my league, but the day may come when I'll just have to give it my best shot! I will look to you for inspiration and guidance!

Good luck with all your projects
Old 04-22-2008, 11:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

Let's see "Ty" from Extreme Home MakeOver

compete against our "Frankly & Son" in a "Survivor" type reality series -

Geaux Frankly!!:bounce

I, too, have had my day of having more of that "blue glue" on me & my clothes than on the pipe fittings!!

Hope you still had some time to enjoy the baby & good luck on other one coming in 2 wks.

Rita
Old 04-22-2008, 11:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

All I can say is WOW, you the man, I mean woman Hugs, Marle
Old 04-22-2008, 12:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Oh Frankly...you're speaking MY language now!

My boys have watched me trot back and forth for days at a time from basement to back bathroom. I replaced everything, taking it down to the studs first. Its been a two year job. I think they forgot that room was ever a bathroom.
All I need now is the darn electric hooked up ( I fear mistakes that could cause a fire)

I've been waiting three months.
And I haven't yet "tried out" the plumbing but I have nightmares of the "SHUT THE WATER OFF!!!" scenario!
Your post made me shudder...but I'm glad all is well!
Old 04-22-2008, 01:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
'Round and 'Round I Go....

Boy you are so handy. I wish I was that handy...I would be taking on tasks like that too. Unfortunately I would destroy more than fix. My fingers would've done the dialing for a plumber.
Old 04-22-2008, 03:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Get Caught Reading

((((((((Frankly))))))))

Your the sh*t!

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

Hugs,
Old 04-22-2008, 05:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It is truelly funny as heck. I'm already laughing about it. I really love it you know. It is my creative side, tear something apart, figure out how it works and put it back togeather. It gives me a workout that no gym could ever give but more importantly, I can channel all of my need and energy to "fix" people into fixing things. Knowing when to give up and call in the professionals though is still hard for me. The only sad part of all of it is when I'm done, I can't decorate for squatt. Heck, I don't even have pictures hanging on my walls unless my sister gets so upset with me that she comes over and hangs them.

I just wanted to give you guys a laugh, sometimes it's better than a movie at my house.

Reality show here I come. Book, you do know I can't swim don't you? LOL

B
Old 04-22-2008, 05:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

Hey hey (((frankly))) I got a project for you I am making an apartment in my garage and you can do the plumbing work Wow I am excited! Or, at least you could give me a few pointers.
Old 04-22-2008, 05:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'll be right over Splendra, just as soon as I figure out how many outlets I can put on an old 60 amp service, I've got two full rolls of wiring sitting in the jeep just calling my name. Doesn't it feel good though, once you can get past the fear of just jumping in and learning, besides, what's the worst that could happen huh? (-:
Old 04-22-2008, 05:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Ahhh, Frankly, I can't remember when I enjoyed a story so much, you've got to forgive me for laughing but the mental visual of all that just cracked me up

I'm pretty handy with the tools too, but I couldn't hold a candle to the likes of you.

After all we have been through, after all the dark times and scary days...a busted toilet is childsplay, yes?

Thanks for making my evening.

Hugs:ghug3
Old 04-22-2008, 06:00 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Frankly...you are definitely my hero!!! Wow...A wonderful story, a hearty laugh, and a heart filled with admiration for your guts and strength...in your own recovery and your toilet's recovery too Best of all, I learned the best new expression ever...I love it!!!
Son of a biscuit eater!
Oh and I happened to run into this little important piece of information recently...you may want to add it to your new toilet...

Old 04-22-2008, 06:03 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Frankly,

As someone who completely remodeled an old farmhouse, I can totally relate to your post.
Every job is 20 times more difficult than anticipated.
But Oh...the satisifaction that comes when you finally 'figure it out'.
I'm feeling your pain...and your satisifaction.
A few months ago I had to take my toilet completely apart from the ground up and reassemble it. The job wasn't nearly as involved as yours but I remember feeling really happy with myself when it was finished...soaking in the tub and staring lovingly at my porcelain throne.

You're all woman frankly...
And I hear your roar !!!!!!
Old 04-22-2008, 06:04 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Yes Ann, it is. The only difference between the professionals doing it or us, is we tend to read the instructions before we just do it our way. LOL
Old 04-22-2008, 06:11 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Something else I learned, if you want people to clear an isle out at lowes so you can use it to arrange your project, just carry an old used huge pipe with a toilet swoop attached to the end, with you, not a soul will come within 10 feet of you, they will even shop from both ends of the isle just to avoid you.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:14 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Originally Posted by frankly View Post
Something else I learned, if you want people to clear an isle out at lowes so you can use it to arrange your project, just carry an old used huge pipe with a toilet swoop attached to the end, with you, not a soul will come within 10 feet of you, they will even shop from both ends of the isle just to avoid you.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:08 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

Originally Posted by frankly
I'll be right over Splendra, just as soon as I figure out how many outlets I can put on an old 60 amp service
It depends on what kind of circuit you are trying to run and what else is on it. For example a microwave, refrigerator, and washer are supposed to have their own 20 amp circuit.

If you are going to add an outlet or two in a bedroom you should be alright. Faulty plumbing causes leaks, faulty carpentry things don't fit, faulty wiring can burn a house down be careful!!!

My H is a master electrician and he is the one dictating this to me. I trust him totally when it comes to electricity....

But I still want to work on the plumbing in my garage apt. with you.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:17 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Next thing you know your plumbers crack will be showing. Then you'll know you're an expert.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:57 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

LMAO

My plumbers crack showed himself a few years ago, that's why I had to learn to do things myself. (-:

Splendra - Goody, I'm all ears. I never can get a three way light switch right. I always have to look up how many outlets and lights can be on a 20 amp breaker. I have a range refrig, microwave hot water heater and a 220 ac unit that practically takes up the whole amperage available. It appears though that they have just about all 4 floors wired to one 30 amp breaker for all the outlets and lights - no wonder it keeps tripping.
Anything I do will probably make it safer. But I promise to check and double check before I do anything. PM me with anything I can do to help on your plumbing.