does anyone go to nar-anon?

Old 04-19-2008, 02:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

does anyone go to nar-anon?

hi,
there appears to be a nar-anon meeting about half hour from my home on sunday nights. I have never been to a meeting. I used to go to al-anon occasionally. My daughter is recovering meth addict, husband Alcoholic, and pot, he has been to treatment, so I think I qualify? Let me know more about it , thanks !!
rubycanoe
Old 04-19-2008, 02:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
If you are lost, stand still

I went to a few, when I was dating an ex-addict. I'm sure they're all different, but I learned a lot about the disease aspect, and the people with active addicts in their lives were encouraged to take care of themselves, and helped each other to detach with love (it's harder than you'd think). A good, supportive group.

I can't compare to al-anon though, I haven't been there
Old 04-19-2008, 03:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I go to a naranon meeting every Wed night. My daughter is a recovery cocaine addict. I say give it a try. The fellowship I feel at our meetings is great! Now I am sharing how I made it through the first two years with our newcomers. I learned from others who had travelrd my path before me.
I look forward to going each week.
HUGS
Old 04-19-2008, 04:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I go to Alanon because there isn't a Naranon meeting within 75 miles of my home. My Alanon family group is small, yet so supportive. I have learned so much about personal serenity and self-care despite the chaos of having an addict in the family.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I go to naranon, I found one meeting some distance from our home went a few times and felt it was not for me???? One year later we moved and I found a meeting closer to home. The fellowship is small quite often new comers, but many will only come 4 or 5 times. It is a great support, I have learned much about addiction. More then that I have started to learn about taking care of myself.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Naranon

I have attended Naranon meetings years ago - but where I live now there are only Alanon meetings. I found that both are/were lifesavers for me. And the program is basically the same. What makes the difference for me is not Alanon vs. Naranon - but the actual meeting - I look for meetings that use literature as the basis for a meeting topic, that have members with longterm recovery, where sponsorship is encouraged, that basically work the same type of recovery program that we expect our recovering addicts/alcoholics to do. I've been a member of Alanon for 25 years - whether or not the alcoholics/addicts in my life were sober or drinking. I have found a new way to live in the rooms.

Give it a try - we say to try for six meetings and if you don't like it, we will cheerfully refund your misery. Worked for me - and I'm hooked!

Jody

P.S. If you look at the 12 steps for AA and the 12 steps for Alanon, only one word is different. In step 12, AA says to "carry the message to alcoholics" and Alanon says "to others". Bottom line: we need to be doing what "they" are doing.