Thanks from a boozer

Old 04-18-2008, 05:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
I'll look back and laugh......

Thanks from a boozer

I’m a new member of this board and I just want to say something.

I am an alcoholic.

I was scrolling down through the page and couldn’t help but notice how many people are posting in this section.
It made me think about the knock on effect we have on you people, and how tolerant and caring you guys are.
Check the stats on the page.
The amount of people here affected far out number the amount of people affecting.
It has made me realise how much I take for granted the people trying to help me.

Sorry to intrude.

Bless you.
Old 04-18-2008, 06:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

Welcome to SR Reps! Glad that you found us! And not intruding on us at all! We welcome everyone to any forum they wish to be in.

IMHO I have learned a lot from Alcoholics they have helped me to grow on my own journey and become more aware of myself and what I have done to cause chaos in my relationships. I have learned to have more compassion for A's. Truly you are a blessing as you embrace recovery with us-

Good luck on your journey and please visit us when you would like!
Old 04-18-2008, 06:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rella927 View Post
Welcome to SR Reps! Glad that you found us! And not intruding on us at all! We welcome everyone to any forum they wish to be in.

IMHO I have learned a lot from Alcoholics they have helped me to grow on my own journey and become more aware of myself and what I have done to cause chaos in my relationships. I have learned to have more compassion for A's. Truly you are a blessing as you embrace recovery with us-

Thank you my friend.

It means a lot
Old 04-18-2008, 06:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Ditto

Originally Posted by Rella927 View Post

I too am a recovering alkie and this forum is a great place to grow
out of my insanity.
Old 04-18-2008, 06:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Rep and Welcome!

I have also learned a great deal from alcoholics. I think sometimes we need things untied a little for us to get to the next level in our recovery.

I'm with Rella - come by as often as you wish. You will probably learn a lot from us as well.
Old 04-18-2008, 07:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I've also learned a lot from the alcoholics who post on SR, it's helped me understand a bit more what my A is going through sometimes too.
Thanks for being here.
Old 04-18-2008, 09:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
play the tape all the way thru

Hi and Welcome!! Sometimes I like to hear input from the alcoholic, I know I do grow from that as well.

Post here anytime!
Old 04-18-2008, 11:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

It is fantastic to hear from someone who is leaning empathy +compassion even as a "boozer""
They say addiction is a dis-ease of self or ego. Thank you for being able to see beyond your ego and understanding what family members go through when we love an addict.
It is major when our two sides understand ea. other.
Old 04-18-2008, 11:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
hbb
Live, Laugh, Love

Hi and welcome! I too, like the other's have asked SEVERAL questions on the other forum. I have come to learn that as upset as i was with my situation, that i've learned alot from both areas on this site. I would ask questions and post threads in the A's forum too. Nice to have you here
Old 04-18-2008, 11:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Responses from A's help me to understand better some of the questions I have, that mine is not ready to answer. Remember every coin has two sides.

Thank to all!!

"May your strength give us strength
May your faith give us faith
May your hope give us hope
May your love give us love"

"Into the Fire" By Bruce Springsteen
Old 04-18-2008, 11:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Welcome to SR reps, and thanks for a great post. Sometimes I need to be reminded of how much the good people in F&F have helped me in my recovery, I'm grateful for the experiences that we share. The more we can learn from each other the better.

I'm an alcoholic, and while I'll always need my daily AA meetings, I find that going to an Al-Anon or CoDA meeting every week helps me to stand in the sunlight of spirituality. Without those meetings I'm not so sure I'd understand what the words love, compassion, and tolerance truly mean.

Many thanks and blessings to all of you who care enough to share with us.
Old 04-18-2008, 01:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome Reps....thank you for such a great thread!

Astro......I really like what you said...."stand in the sunshine of spirituality", what I strive for every day....figuratively and literally....(gotta love California!).

Shivaya
Old 04-18-2008, 02:01 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Originally Posted by Shivaya View Post
Astro......I really like what you said...."stand in the sunshine of spirituality", what I strive for every day....figuratively and literally....(gotta love California!).
Hi Shivaya! I do love California. GF has been mentioning it's time for a run to the ocean!

That thinking comes from page 66 of the Big Book of AA........

...whose hope is the maintenance and growth of a spiritual experience, this business of resentment is infinitely grave. We found that it is fatal. For when harboring such feelings we shut ourselves off from the sunlight of the Spirit. The insanity of alcohol returns and we drink again. And with us, to drink is to die. If we were to live, we had to be free of anger. The grouch and the brainstorm were not for us. They may be the dubious luxury of...
Old 04-18-2008, 02:30 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

All you kids are about as good as is gets.
Old 04-18-2008, 03:05 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

What a very kind and nice thing to say, Reps. I wish you peace and success in your sobriety! I think everyone on this forum, from every board and both sides of the fence, pulls for every addict and alcoholic who decides they want something better in their life than living for their addiction. What a beautiful thing life can be when we learn to appreciate the calmness sobriety brings. It's nice to be heard, encouraged, and loved by others. Welcome to SR!
Old 04-18-2008, 03:13 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by peaceteach View Post
What a very kind and nice thing to say, Reps. I wish you peace and success in your sobriety! I think everyone on this forum, from every board and both sides of the fence, pulls for every addict and alcoholic who decides they want something better in their life than living for their addiction. What a beautiful thing life can be when we learn to appreciate the calmness sobriety brings. It's nice to be heard, encouraged, and loved by others. Welcome to SR!
Definately!
I hope you find what you're looking for Reps
Old 04-19-2008, 12:56 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Astro View Post
Hi Shivaya! I do love California. GF has been mentioning it's time for a run to the ocean!

That thinking comes from page 66 of the Big Book of AA........

...whose hope is the maintenance and growth of a spiritual experience, this business of resentment is infinitely grave. We found that it is fatal. For when harboring such feelings we shut ourselves off from the sunlight of the Spirit. The insanity of alcohol returns and we drink again. And with us, to drink is to die. If we were to live, we had to be free of anger. The grouch and the brainstorm were not for us. They may be the dubious luxury of...
wow. is it coincidence or god...i just posted on sunlight of the spirit in another thread -- before i read this one!! very cool.
Old 04-20-2008, 05:13 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

My question is this.......Does the amount of caring matter? Can it effect if you drink or not or is this an epitphany that really serves as information?
As an alcoholic, can you not drink if you choose not to?
It's nice to know that people care but does it ultimately matter?
Old 04-20-2008, 08:39 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi there malow

Originally Posted by mallowcup View Post
My question is this.......Does the amount of caring matter? Can it effect if you drink or not or is this an epitphany that really serves as information?
As an alcoholic, can you not drink if you choose not to?
It's nice to know that people care but does it ultimately matter?
I'll answer this one by taking off my al-anon hat and putting on my alkie hat

When I was drinking there were a _lot_ of people that cared, and that loved me. Those are wonderful feelings, and it felt wonderful to be loved and cared. However, feelings are not actions. As it turned out, the actions of those caring and loving people were enabling me, and did not help me at all.

That's one of the reasons the "disease concept" is so important. All the love and caring in the world will not heal cancer, or mend a broken bone. Getting the appropriate care and following docs directions is what heals and mends. I did not embrace recovery until I ran out of enablers. As long as I could find _one_ poor fool who would believe my BS I continued to drink and party.

My personal opinion is that the greatest act of love is to refuse to assist somebody in hurting themselves, even if it hurts me to do so.

Mike
Old 04-20-2008, 08:43 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thank You for that. Can you tell me is the love and caring of others was a motivating factor in taking those steps at all?