Notices

I'm a Slug, Positive Thinking/Motivation

Old 04-17-2008, 12:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
DES

I'm a Slug, Positive Thinking/Motivation

I think a large part of my problems (other than keeping myself from picking up) stem from negativity, though I think I'm in denial about that. I like to say I'm a positive person but when I stand back and look at myself I'm not sure that's true at all. I beat myself up in my mind all the time, you know coulda, woulda shoulda. ..... but never did. Self esteem problems??? Again if I have self esteem probs I'm in denial about that too.

Along the same lines is motivation. I'm a horrible procrastinator, always have been much to my detriment. I know what the consequences will be but I procrastinate anyway. It's much like drinking, I know the consequences but I do it anyway. Maybe my drinking is a way of making me forget and face myself and my faults and problems? I do/did love the numbing effect when I was drunk.

Anyway, do any of you know other message boards on the net similar to this that deal with issues of positive thinking or motivation? Advice from anyone here would be welcome too!

Day6 ..... again. Reading here and trying to hang on.

Doug
Old 04-17-2008, 12:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for posting Doug. Count me in on your request too...I'm also looking for help on how to keep a positive outlook.
Old 04-17-2008, 12:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I found the more I tried to figure this disease out, the drunker I got.

When I quit trying to analyze it, and took some action via going to meetings and working the steps, all the answeres to the questions I would have asked in the beginning became obvious.

As far as procrastinating, most alcoholics are pretty bad. I know I am. That's why the 12 steps are a program of action.

As far as coulda woulda shoulda. 4th step. I have no regrets. Nor guilt or shame. Only a life experience I can use to help others recover from alcoholism.
Old 04-17-2008, 04:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

If anyone finds such a site, please post a link. I too need some help and advice on positive thinking. I tend to be negative and very hard on myself.
Old 04-17-2008, 05:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Doug,

I think self-worth issues are a huge part of addiction and that's why stopping drinking is only the beginning of the journey. The procrastination you talk about, sounds a little bit to me like self-sabotage. I used to sabotage myself too, whenever things seemed to be going well. I was actually more comfortable with failing than succeeding and that's definitely about self-esteem.

You are worth the work this takes.
Old 04-19-2008, 07:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Bring Laughter Wherever You Go

Wow DES; You took the words right outta my heart. Your post TOTALLY describes me to a 'T'.
I've been told by lots of well-intended people to stop trying to analyse my feelings. But that just isn't possible for me. I am an analytical person by nature. I will never stop the self-analysis. And I'm glad for it, without it, I don't think I'd get better. It has only been through my self-analysis that I have been able to face and accept many of my defaults and then work on them. The first part of solving a problem is admitting there is one right?
Anyways, this is not intended to be offensive to anyone who feels we need to stop analysing ourselves. I simply mean that everyone is different. What gets some of us better doesn't work for others. We all tick differently and need recovery tailored to suit each of us individually. For me, self-analysis is a MUST in recovery. Again, it isn't my intention to put anyone's opinion down. Without everyone's opinion we'd have no food for thought!

Tay.
Old 05-15-2008, 09:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
DES

Bump
Old 05-15-2008, 09:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Helping Others, Helps Me

It is that easy, how fast that paper can burn to nothing with the choice of drink.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:17 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yeah - my human brain does make me analize. This ended up being very useful when I did a 4th step. Whatever path you take to recovery a willingness to look honestly at your life and behaviors will probably come in handy.

I'm less into "positive", and more into the realistic veiw of the world around me.