Notices

Need help and prayers!!

Old 04-17-2008, 09:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Unhappy Need help and prayers!!

Woke up this morning so agitated and nervous and am now craving alcohol badly - not for the taste or anything but just for the numbing effect. I feel so awful and so afraid. I took the dogs for a long walk to try to "walk off" my nervous energy and fear but still feel terrified and nervous and afraid.:wtf2:sorry
Old 04-17-2008, 09:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Let go, let God.

((((least)))) Hope you felt that hug. Did you try saying a little prayer to help you? That helps me when I feel like you do.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I hate those fearful days! They suck the life outta me.

Heard at a meeting this morning:
FEAR= Face Everything And Recover.

as opposed to the old unhealthy way: Fear= *** Everything And Run.

Sending hugs and kisses your way. You are not alone.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Least - Anxious feelings are definitely a part of recovery, esp. early on (not sure where you are in terms of recovery time, sorry)... I will definitely pray for you...take some deep breaths, tell yourself that you are ok, that the nervous feelings are nothing to be afraid of, and be real, real gentle with yourself. I had a LOT of anxiety in the first few weeks of my recovery, and prayer and posting here were the biggest relief I could find. Keep close - it'll be ok. Jomey
Old 04-17-2008, 09:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
Woke up this morning so agitated and nervous and am now craving alcohol badly - not for the taste or anything but just for the numbing effect. I feel so awful and so afraid. I took the dogs for a long walk to try to "walk off" my nervous energy and fear but still feel terrified and nervous and afraid.:wtf2:sorry
I'm sorry you're going through this. Did the walking help at all? I try to remember drinking will just make the anxiety worse in the long run.

-Eroica
Old 04-17-2008, 09:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi least...do you have a gym membership? Maybe going to work out would help. I find it's one of the few things that help me.

I know what you mean about the numbing effect...believe me. Just remember it only makes everything worse in the long run.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

THank you for your replies. It helps just to know I'm not alone. No, I won't drink, I won't mess up my 19 days sober, just absolutely petrified and even feel afraid of the feeling of fear. Does that make any sense?

No, no gym membership, too broke for such luxuries. I do walk the dogs once sometimes twice each day. I need the fresh air and sunlight and exercise. But something about today is 'different'. I feel paralyzed with fear and nervousness. Can't concentrate or sit still for long.

Thank you for your help. I'm not so paralyzed with fear that I can't recognize friendship when I see it!:ghug3
Old 04-17-2008, 10:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Afraid of feeling the fear...does that make sese?
LOL...are you kidding?? Thats how I operate all the time.
Drugs and alcohol gave me an escape from the fear.
Sober...I have to face it, but man its scary sometimes, huh?

Well...we wont die from dealing with fear....but we just might die if we dont.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:09 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Least...some of your words there in your last post make me think you might be suffering from clinical anxiety. I'm no psychiatrist, but have you talked to a doctor about that? It sounds more serious than the "average" nervousness that most people feel.

I hope you start to feel better soon. :ghug
Old 04-17-2008, 10:18 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Yes I've been diagnosed with anxiety and take meds for it, it's just getting worse. I see a shrink and his counselor associate, just carrying a heavy load, mentally and physically and having trouble dealing with "life" at present.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:25 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
Yes I've been diagnosed with anxiety and take meds for it, it's just getting worse. I see a shrink and his counselor associate, just carrying a heavy load, mentally and physically and having trouble dealing with "life" at present.
I wish I could offer some words more profound, but just keep on fighting and keep your head up! I too have felt some bad anxiety at times...for awhile it got pretty bad for me. It seems to have eased up, and I'm not totally sure why. I hope yours does the same.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Least-I'm a prayin...don't get too tired, too hungry, or too lonely.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:32 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hey Least

I went through this myself in the beginning. Today I am still not sure if I drank because of anxiety or the drinking caused anxiety.

Don't get me wrong because I started drinking for fun when I started. But years later it helped when I felt nervous. I went to a class to deal with anxiety because it was so bad and I did not want to drink. I was on medication for awhile.

Information on anxiety might give you some relief when you know what it is and how to deal with it. Just trying to help.
Old 04-17-2008, 04:38 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Started feeling some better this afternoon. Still feel jumpy and nervous but at least not feeling sick and dizzy. I did pray that it would go away, and it did. I just wish it wouldn't happen at all. I can deal with depression better, at least when I'm depressed I can lie down and do nothing. When I'm so agitated I can't lie down and rest.

Thank you so much for the prayers and good wishes and kind words. I would say "you don't know how much that means to me", but I'm sure you do know. No kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.

:ghug
Old 04-18-2008, 04:25 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hey Least,

Just wanted to say I'm thinking about you and praying for you. I'm still finding that I want to drink to make myself "numb" - I'm feeling like that today, infact. Just wanted you to know that you're not alone. I'm right with you and really, really rooting for you! You can do this! Lots and lots of hugs!

PB
Old 04-18-2008, 04:28 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

Least,

My sponsor would ask me when I've felt this way: Have you done your dishes today? How about the laundry? Pick some monotonous task and do it. Keeping busy will help..

big hugs,

Karen