Notices

I really really need some help

Old 04-17-2008, 06:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I really really need some help

Hi everyone.. i have posted on the forum a while back, when i was feeling positive, and was trying to stay sober.. it WAS going well. I attended AA for a while, it helped... but then..

I have recently fallen off the wagon big time, i started drinking again and i just can't stop. I need some help, because i know i am doing so much damage, physically, emotionally, and to those around me.

How do i stop? I want to get better i just can't seem to find any reason to at the moment. I even met someone (a man) that i liked a lot quite recently, but i messed that up too due to drink - irrelevant but it is really playing on my mind.. which of course in turn makes me want to drink more......

Help me please i just don't know where to turn!!
Old 04-17-2008, 06:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

You are in the right place. Hang in there! The first thing to do would be to put the bottle down/get rid of all the alcohol in the house. You didn't mention how much you drink....if you drink large amounts of alcohol on a continual basis...you may need a medical detox>I did cause I always shook (hands trembling), stomach/leg cramping, heart palpitations, disorientation, when I stopped drinking. It was very bad. But with the help of medical professionals I made it through the scary, life-threatening part and now choose to go to a 12 step program + here (at SR) for continual support.

You know where to turn--You chose to come here! God bless!
Old 04-17-2008, 06:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi threestars!

I'm brand new to recovery - I'm just 14 days old in my new sober life. But for those few days, I found that coming here to SR every day - both posting and reading all the good tips from others - has been absolutely essential to me, like a life-jacket for someone adrift in the water.

Hey, I'm from Hampshire too! (although I guess I'm an adopted Londoner now). Nice to have another Hampshire person here!

All best wishes to you. Hang in there and please keep posting!

PB
Old 04-17-2008, 06:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Helping Others, Helps Me

As the others have said you have come to the right place. Over a week ago, I posted a message just like yours I have 10 days today, and I feel great. It is possible! I just had to figure out that I was ready to go to any length to achieve my sobriety.
Old 04-17-2008, 06:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hello Threestar how are you sweetie????
The first step IS the hardest, I remember my first day of HAVING to put down the booze, I had just found out I was PG, I wanted a drink..........I wanted the drink more for the effects and how I felt than the THOUGHT of wanting to use....meaning I needed it for the way it made me feel, not because I had a driving need to quit shaking or anything......it didnt make it any easier, in fact it made it harder but I did it.....everyday I find something to live for....at that time it was My Son and His Father.......now it is For me.....Everyone here on SR will tell you I have found reasons here as well as even in my dog.......find a reason you WANT to stay sober......Freedom is just around the corner, you dont have to do this alone but I do suggest you do it.....I know I will never regret stopping........Good luck and Keep posting, it does help as well!

Pamm
Old 04-17-2008, 07:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you for the responses, it really is appreciated and i will take it all in later.

Just to say a little more, i don't know why i drink exactly. I haven't had a bad life, upbringing was good, etc, etc. What i have done is i've made a lot of bad decisions. I guess my drinking is fuelled by regret.. yet there is no changing the past. So how do i stop the cycle? I want to stop drinking again, in a way, but then again i often think "sod it" and just go buy more wine. I have no idea how much damage i have done to myself, i don't even want to know. Anyway i am rambling a little.. feels good to talk though
Old 04-17-2008, 07:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

3stars, you said you were staying sober using AA and then stopped going to AA and started drinking again.

Let me tell you a little AA secret.................... we do not shoot our wounded, we welcome them back with loving and open arms!!!

You swallowed your pride and went to AA once before and it worked for you while you were working it, why not swallow that pride again and go back again, the same love and support is there for you that was there for you the first time you went.

Swallowing your pride and going back I can assure you is far less painful then dying an alcoholic death.

BTW it would not hurt to see a doctor about detoxing.
Old 04-17-2008, 07:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I like that Tazman: "we do not shoot our wounded, we welcome them back with loving and open arms."

Welcome to the forum. I count this as a valuable and necessary part of my recovery. Just getting advice and encouragement from those who have more sober time than I do is a great resource. Post your feelings and questions and keep coming back!:ghug3
Old 04-17-2008, 07:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I admitted out loud yesterday at my AA meeting that I was still drinking. The guy next to me said he is also still drinking. Both of us were treated like everyone else there: with respect and kindness.

I have also been helped immensely simply by posting about my experience here and reading everyone else's posts. As was told to me recently: you are welcome here, you are in good company, we all understand and have all been where you are.
Old 04-17-2008, 07:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Threestars,

There is a lot of great advise here, so I hope you will keep posting

I think many of us drink to forget things that we have done and regret. However in doing so, we just build upon the regrets each and every time we pick up.

I had tremendous shame a couple of weeks into my sobriety, I even made a couple of posts regarding my shame. I was told that it would lessen with time, and it has.

For today, do not buy any wine. Try not to look to far ahead or you will get overwhelmed.

I do not know how much you have been drinking, but you may need medical detox.
Old 04-17-2008, 07:26 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Threestars,

I can understand your frustration.

What you can do to take a step out of the viscious circle is to make one small change in your life this moment. Right now, make a plan to be doing something else at the time you would next be drinking. Call a friend, go for a walk, do anything different. Making one small change will snowball and make more changes happen in your life.

You can do this.
Old 04-17-2008, 07:51 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

3 Stars. I'm only about 3 weeks into my quit. I was fearful of killing my liver and dying to be honest. I wanted to quit many times, but now that I look back I realized that I really didn't want to quit, I just knew that I should. Big difference. It is kind of like you decide you want to quit forever, but you take it day by day. I like who I am after 3 weeks. I told my wife the other day, "Honey, of the dozens of people we know that drink way too much and either are alcoholics or are on their way to becoming one, your husband is the one that decided to quit." The void for me that pretty much starts at 5pm and goes till about 8-9pm isn't too hard to battle. It is like I read up at 445pm and put on my armor to not start drinking wine each and every day. Cause when I do it is 2 bottles minimum.
On top of that I've told everyone I know I quit drinking. Most I just said it was for health reasons, closer one's I told them cause I'm an alcoholic. It makes it a lot easier that way cause A. You get it out of the way, and B. You have built in accountability wherever you go by those that care about you and your "Health."
I know you have it in you to go more than 2-3 months, but only you can make the decision that is a final one that you are done with drinking forever and that you will make that promise come true day by day.

Hill
Old 04-17-2008, 07:57 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

go back to an AA meeting ASAP

You never have to drink again...it IS up to you.

Here is my suggestion...it worked for me...13 years ago...no slips no relapses.

1. Go to an AA meeting EVERY DAY for 90 days...sit and listen...share that your new (if you feel comfortable doing so ) and watch the magic happen...get phone #s to use BEFORE you drink...get a sponsor...even if it's temporary.

NOTE : Please try not to let yourself fill your head with why you CANT do these things....you can stop...we all have...thousands...millions...have done it ...and you CAN too.

peace and respect,

miavin2