Notices

stuck

Old 04-15-2008, 06:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

stuck

This is my first thread I just really need to type something out.

I have come to realize that I am an alcoholic. This took a while. I started thinking that I wasn't a drunk because my tolerance became so high I could drink alot and not feel that intoxicated.

I also felt better while I was drinking because I am one of the few people in my group of friends who does not do any drugs so I would always think "at least I'm not like them".

Yesterday completed my week straight of drinking excessively to the point that I dont even know who I am by the end of the night or morning. I woke up today feeling like **** as usual. I haven't been home in days.

I work at a tattoo studio so its sorta of expected of employees to be wild party animals. My friends who are not employees at the studio drink just as much as me. It is completely casual for all of us to drink constantly almost like a second nature to grab alchohol every time I hang out with someone from monday to sunday.

I really want a drink right now to make me feel better but I am going to stop drinking starting today.
Old 04-15-2008, 06:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome!!!!!!!!!!!:day4
Old 04-15-2008, 06:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Next stop: real life

Welcome to SR, and congrats on your decision to stop drinking!

Do be careful detoxing on your own... Do you have someone who can take you to a doctor if your withdrawal symptoms get too bad? (Not to scare you - some people don't get any WDs whatsoever, but some get them pretty bad.)
Old 04-15-2008, 07:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I dont think my withdrawel symtoms will be too bad,. mentally I am a wreck but I think I can physically handle the withdrawel symtoms.

I want to start eating regularily because I was supplimenting food with alcohol and I rarely eat. Hopefully that will also help me sleep.
Old 04-15-2008, 07:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR...

You have come to the right place...Looking forward to seeing more of you here...:ghug
Old 04-15-2008, 07:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Just make sure for the next 4-5 days you have someone with you that can call for an ambulance, I would suggest seeing a doctor before detoxing just to be safe. People do die withdrawing from alcohol.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to a safe and supportive site.:ghug3
Old 04-15-2008, 08:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi and Welcome

The best part of not drinking for me is having a clear mind. My thoughts are not rapped up in drinking or partys. I have so many other things I am interested in.

I am so glad that I stuck it out in the beginning. Because my life is soooo much better.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome ..

Yes...de toxing alone is dangerous and there
is no way to predict how you will react.

Call your doctor please ...be both safe and sober.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yes, be careful of the withdrawal...it is way more common if you have not been eating and drinking heavily. I went through severe withdrawal when I stopped drinking (I also supplemented food for alcohol), and it lasted a very long time and was not pleasant in the slightest. But the good thing is withdrawal is pretty easily controlled through simple medications. I would definitely recommend calling up the doctor!

I also understand what you are going through working in an environment where debauchery is accepted, if not encouraged. As a musician, getting drunk and doing dumb things was more or less a part of the "lifestyle" and those around me didn't really know how to relate to my sobriety. I eventually started drinking again because I was tired of not being able to hang out with my friends and participate in the same things they were. This next shot I'm taking at sobriety is definitely going to include finding some sober people to have in my life....Good luck man.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:02 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome!!
Old 04-16-2008, 11:14 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

glad your here
Old 04-16-2008, 11:34 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
FreeSpirit

I agree with the rest of the Panel see a Doc first and then he could give you and evaluation and refer you to a Detox, . on your Decision on Surrendering It's the First Step, to Admit to another individual, or to your self, that you Have a problem with Alcohol.