Notices

18days sober and back to day1

Old 04-15-2008, 04:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

18days sober and back to day1

Things went really well I ddint need to log in here everyday anymore. I was the expert on quitting drinking (I thought) and was giving advise everywhere. I was no longer an Alcoholic. I could do it no problem

Boy was I wrong

I messed up last week I couldn't stop myself from having a few drinks. I knew I would have a problem with it later and I knew I would let everybody down I just didnt care. So I did and managed to behave (no drugs).... So I was proud of myself and 2 days later I did it again and then again and now I am out of the circle and back here...1 day sober.

Things go bad really fast when you start drinking again. You dont really know what kind of impact it has on yr life work family untill you quit and then mess up and drink again... It took me 7 days to go from sober to behaving like an drunk......

the new date is 15th April 2008

GLAD to be BACK

My life is better sober. The last 18days sober were the best in a long time. Last week drinking didnt make me happy at all.....
Old 04-15-2008, 05:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

yep vin...

thats why its called alcoholism!

not alcoholwasm!

welcome back!
Old 04-15-2008, 05:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Bring Laughter Wherever You Go

Hey Vin;
For me, I have to remember each day that I am an alcoholic. Some days I struggle, some days I don't. But sometimes, the days that I don't struggle are just as hard as the days that I do. Why? Because sometimes, on those days when I'm not struggling, I THINK I am ok to have a drink...just one (no such thing for me). That is the drunk inside of me. She looks for a way to come out.
So although we may not struggle all the time, and have days where we think we are 'good', we still need to be aware that part of our disease is self-deception and just like that we could fall off the wagon and have a drink if we are not aware that our disease is CONSTANTLY at work. Our disease doesn't go away just because we are not drinking. It lingers, looking for the moment to take control again. We must always be aware of it and treat it everyday. Treat it with recovery and self-awareness.

This is one of my favorite quotes by George Bernard Shaw, it describes me and I thought it may be useful to you:

"Inside of me there are two dogs. One of the dogs is mean and evil. The other dog is good. The mean dog fights the good dog all the time. When asked which dog wins, he said....'whichever dog I feed'."

To stay sober, you'll need to feed the good dog (sobriety) everyday for him to win. If you don't feed him, you'll in sense be feeding the bad dog (drinking), which will eventually win.

Tay.
Old 04-15-2008, 05:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start again. You can do this. Don't beat yourself up too bad, learn from it and go on. :ghug
Old 04-15-2008, 06:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Vinnie you are back on the wagon, that is the main thing!

Now is the time to reflect on what happened.

Sit down and honestly ask your self 2 questions:

1. What was I doing to stay sober?

2. What led to the relapse?

Take what you were doing to stay sober and keep doing it. Now comes the most important part, be willing to add other things when needed to stay sober rather then drinking again, possibly a recovery program of some sort, staying sober I have found is a lot easier for me when I am spending time with other sober alcoholics and we are helping each other stay sober.
Old 04-15-2008, 06:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome back Vin!

I posted yesterday about my relapse on a thread from nohangovers4me. Perhaps I should have started my own thread (I'm unclear on forum ettiquette!), but I wanted to let her know that she was not alone (as you are not), that this is very hard, and that we need to band together and strap on our cleats so as not to slide on what can be a very slippery slope. Personally, whenever I have relapsed, I know the "evil dog" is beckoning me and I just ignore the "good dog". I have a whole crowd in my head! LOL. But take heart, as I have, that today is a new day (day 2 for me), and I'm intending on spending the whole day with my "good dog"! We can do this, TOGETHER!:praying
Old 04-15-2008, 08:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey Vinnie - I'm so glad to see you back! You joined about the same time I did and I've actually been wondering how you were doing for the past few days. I just happened to read something last night by Dr. Andrew Weil. He was talking about addition - here's the quote:

"Research ... indicates that making an attempt to quit is the best predictor of eventual success, even if the attempt itself is not successful. . . Attempting to quit is commitment to changing behavior, a measure of motivation, and whether you succeed or fail is less important than making the attempt."

Sooo, keep it up. You'll get there! Welcome back.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Vinnie,

Great to have you back! I was missing you!

PB
Old 04-15-2008, 08:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Vinnie

Welcome back! I am far from wise, but I pretty much expected that you would relapse. Can't put my finger on why, but it had to do with your posts. Perhaps a bit too casual, I'm not sure.

That fact is, you are back. And wiser. Others may disagree, but I think that falling on our face can be a great thing. Especially with "smart, confident" people like you. And me. Teaches us humility among other things.

I might focus on what you know now that you didn't a month or so ago. And what you need to know to succeed.

You'll get it, I have no doubt. If I'm getting it, anyone can. You are in far better shape to face the challenge than when you began. I hope to see you on here frequently. Many days I don't really feel like writing here, but I need to keep my focus. Can't ignore the beast. Can't be casual.

Best to you

warren