Notices

I need a change, NOW...

Old 04-13-2008, 04:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I need a change, NOW...

I've been drinking and using one drug or another for the last 15 yrs. I have lost jobs, friendships and now a relationship.

I feel so strongly about quiting but I always rationalize it out and start drinking again. Drinking leads to other bad things and I loose time, my health, money and brain cells.

I really want a better life for myself. I want to quit drinking and smoking but I don't know where to start. Most of my friends drink and it's such a social thing for me but I have a problem. I know I do because I can never keep my word and I drink to get drunk. I never have just one or two. I wish there was a switch to turn this off...
Old 04-13-2008, 05:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
FreeSpirit

Red face

Originally Posted by SimplySam View Post
I've been drinking and using one drug or another for the last 15 yrs. I have lost jobs, friendships and now a relationship.

I feel so strongly about quiting but I always rationalize it out and start drinking again. Drinking leads to other bad things and I loose time, my health, money and brain cells.

I really want a better life for myself. I want to quit drinking and smoking but I don't know where to start. Most of my friends drink and it's such a social thing for me but I have a problem. I know I do because I can never keep my word and I drink to get drunk. I never have just one or two. I wish there was a switch to turn this off...
AS I read your thread you sound sincere but wanting this, to be sober its a good Star, but thats not enough you must have determination, follow with affirmation, and the last one but not least Surrender, you already Accepted, the Fact that you need help thats Good, but your Going to have to put the Foot work Remember we Didn't Become Addicts over Night, and we are sure not Going to get Heal over Night, its a Process and like all Process your Going to need a Lot of Patients with everything,and then next if you are really serious about Been Tire, of Been Sick, and Tire, the Next Step is to get your self into a Detox In Patient Program,If you don't want the Detox then get your self and Out Patient Program, But "Remember The Miracle" wont happened unless you are Willing to go the Extra Mile just the same way we did when we want it that Next Hit Or Booze.God Bless You on this Journey.
Old 04-13-2008, 05:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you, Butterfly-7. Your guidance is appreciated.
Old 04-13-2008, 05:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our recovery community!

As you have been drinking and drugging for quite awhile
you might consider talking to your doctor before
abruptly qitting.

De toxing from alcohol is a medical issue and
can be dangerous to do alone.

Good to see you here with us..
Old 04-13-2008, 06:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Sam and Welcome,

You can make the choice to have a better life. It's hard to do but you can do it.

Talk to your dr and take a look around here and read and learn.
Old 04-13-2008, 06:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Helping Others, Helps Me

I have told myself I need to quit many times, especially when I had guilt or shame after a night of drinking. I would quit for some time, and drink again. I did this for three years.... What wasn't I getting I would think, when getting talked to by someone for drinking and being stupid....or getting assaulted at a bar and being too drunk to do anything about it....it seemed every time I relapsed and got really drunk I was always feeling this...

It took me a long time, but I finally figured it out. I really have to be willing to go to any length to achieve my sobriety. But heres the thing.....I see it as going to any length to finding my life I had before alcohol took me for a 3 year ride....The ability to be free from the depressant of alcohol and be happy and not hungover...cuz boy to those hangovers just ROCK me now....

Welcome to SoberRecovery! Good luck with your sobriety. It has brought me peace as of late, and my ability to deal with life on lifes terms is great! it is an interesting community, I am still trying to figure out the subconscious flow of the board and hows its regulars work.
Old 04-13-2008, 06:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

SS
I wish there was a switch to turn this off...
there is SS

toss your hands up in the air, say... i'm exausted keeping this up...

and surrender!

living sober is a wonderful thing!

good wishes SS

rz
Old 04-13-2008, 06:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Sam.

You can do it, it's simple but not easy. You have to want it enough.
There is plenty of info and support here, stick around.
Old 04-13-2008, 07:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

"Ditto" to everything that's been said. We are a loving forgiving supportive global community. Next door neighbors across the world. You can tell us what's bugging you without fear. Some, if not all, of us have already been there and come back. The rest of us are still coming back...

Keep coming back and posting your feelings. With friends and support you can do this. Oh, and if it's not been already mentioned, if you've been using alcohol regularly, medical advice is a good idea, cause withdrawal from alcohol can be dangerous. Be safe and sober.

Keep coming back!:ghug3
Old 04-13-2008, 08:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I feel stronger already. Thank each one of you for taking the time to share, give feedback and welcome me here. So far so good and you'll be seeing me around here more.
Old 04-13-2008, 09:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!

You have found a site full of people that can understand what your going through. We have been there to one degree or another.

Any ideas on how you plan to get and stay sober?

Just food for though, welcome again and keep posting.
Old 04-13-2008, 09:07 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

What's the longest time you have gone in those 15 years without drinking/drugging?

Have you ever made a decision to just 'quit' and stuck through the detox?
Old 04-14-2008, 06:32 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

hi simplysam welcome to sr I am new here as well and I am new to a clean and sober way of being in the world I have drank and smoked pot for 40 of my 54 years and today I am clean and sober for 103 days. To be straight is very different for me and i am going thru a rough time of dealing with my emotions but I can honestly say that the inner strength that comes from being free of both booze and pot is a high of its own. I wish you the best as you come to terms with yourself and your addictions.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:07 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Helping Others, Helps Me

I have one week today, feel great. Dealing with life on lifes terms, feel like I am crawling out of my shell. I just want the old me back....
Old 04-14-2008, 08:33 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Hi and welcome Sam .