New Post from Kelsh

Old 04-13-2008, 12:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New Post from Kelsh

I just went through the hardest week I have experienced in a very long time.
My brother finally contacted me after three years of not hearing from him.

We own the family home together and it needed to be sold so my lawyer finally sent him a letter of eviction...giving him two weeks to get out.

I talked with my brother on the phone...he was only 90 miles from where I live staying at a sober friend's house...detoxing. I was so glad to hear from him but yet I had all those old tapes playing in my head of his running away from me...not wanting to deal with anything we needed to do.

He also is running from a warrant for not appearing in court when it was scheduled.

I hired a contractor, got a dumpster, & his friend helped me do this formidable
job of 50 years of family and his accumulation of trash & clutter from the people he rented bedrooms to...people that used drugs and alcohol like my brother did and odds and ends...

The people were evicted from the bedrooms and I just told them that my brother was getting help to detox off of alcohol and methametaphine. This was not a lie but he actually was holed up in a motel while we were doing this.

I came...an eight hour drive...and while on the way called my husband and he said the police had been there and tried to arrest the guy I hired to help me..he was doing a yard sale before we started loading up the garbage.

I guess my lawyer was called and he called the police thinking someone was stealing my brother's junk. His so called friends came out of the wood work accusing me of stealing my brother's belongings and were going to call the police on me after I got there.

The friends were all on drugs at one time or another...and I had to lie to them and I am not used to doing this. Of course they knew more about my brother's activities than I did but felt I needed to protect him for now.

The next day the FBI was there questioning the contractor looking for one of the guys renting a bedrooom...he was gone of course. They asked me who I was and I said the owner of this house.

I knew my brother drank excessively even though he quit once for 14 years. I did not know he was using drugs...my parents were very co-dependent with him and always bailed him out of jail and financial problelms but did not tell me or any of our family members. So I was in shock with all of this coming down at once.

I am back home now and the cleaning out job is done. Right after I left a woman came to the house wanting to buy it as is...for what we were asking..for due to the condition of the house we had the price at $75,000..it is a five bedroom house with a diningroom, laundry room, garage, & falling down back porch...also needs a new roof before it would qualify for a conventional loan.

The contract was drawn up and I will hear more on Monday...a court order has to be filed that the original order has been satisfied and the house is free for me to sell.

Needless to say, I had a very emotional six days and am still experiencing the queasy feeling in my stomach of all is not well...my brother is still drinking some through his detox and I know nothing of this. His friend is watching this close and will keep in touch with me...my brother expected me to pay for all the needed repairs and cash out on the house but he isn't in the real world of President Bush yet.

I have already spent thousands of dollars + will owe $5,000 to the contractor
and probably $1,000 + to my lawyer...I have kept him paid up to date the past three years.

Sorry this is so long...I am glad I didn't have to lie to the police but I was worried they would come to question me about the big drug bust that had some family members living close to my brother. They were his friends???

kelsh
Old 04-13-2008, 12:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

Wow, what a mess for you to deal with. But good for you to accept what is, and do what needed to be done In order to get the house sold. How lucky that a buyer was right there when you needed her.
It must have been real hard to see how your brother was living and all the memories of your parents that must be assoc. with the house.
This part will soon be over. You have great strength. Luckily, you are the one who has it.
Old 04-13-2008, 01:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sending some hugs. It must have been an emotional time for you. Remember that your brother is a big boy and that he can get clean if he wants to. You did what you had to do. Now take some time to rest and do something nice for you. Hugs, Marle
Old 04-13-2008, 04:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Wow! You did go through a lot in six days! Give yourself a big hug!
I hope the road is a bit easier now in selling the home. I'm sure it has taken an emotional toil on you, but you sound as if you handled everything the best you could.
Get some rest now.
Old 04-13-2008, 04:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

One giant, draining task done for life. You never have to do it again. I so admire your strength, even in the bewilderment you must have felt and still feel. Very admirable, and with grace and love
Old 04-13-2008, 07:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
StrivingToThrive

Wow,
what a tough week. You must be pretty drained right now. But I agree with Spiritual seeker, what luck to have someone ready to buy. one less headache/heartache.
I am sure it was with conflicting emotions that you dealt with your brother. It is one thing to know it and another to see the filth of it. It hurts deeply.
Glad you are home safe. Rest up this week.
prayers out to you.