3 days till detox bed is available

Old 04-13-2008, 12:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

3 days till detox bed is available

My husband's 18YO daughter has said she wants to go to rehab for heroin/oxy/whatever-she-can-get addiction, but a detox bed won't be available until Wednesday. We're going to try to get her to an addiction doctor tomorrow to see if he can help her start to detox as an outpatient. To make matters worse she's been kicked out of our house and her mother's house and is about to get kicked out by her current roommates for stealing from all of us. My husband has given her some money and wants to give her more, but I don't think it's a good idea. He says he knows she'll just buy drugs with it, but she's not my child so I don't understand.

Any and all advise would be greatly appreciated.

JJLuney
Old 04-13-2008, 12:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My son went to the hospital for detox for 3-4 days. Does your hospital have a psych/behavioral ward? I would guess she is still on your husband's or her mother's insurance?
Old 04-13-2008, 12:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It can be tricky timing wise, but if you can get her into a local hospital for detox like peaceteach suggested, you might be able to reserve her a bed for the rehab portion at the place you're looking at.

If that's not feasible, an addiction doctor might be able to start her on suboxone to tide her over until she can get into rehab.
Old 04-13-2008, 12:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

i was put into physc ward at hospital when i went throught detox you can go throught er and try to get her into that it depends not to sure how it works in the states
Old 04-13-2008, 12:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

What a difficult spot you and your husband are in right now. I hope she can get to the rehab very soon--sometimes they have cancellations that can open a bed up more quickly. I just wanted to say that detoxing on an outpatient basis can be dangerous, but then what she is doing is not exactly safe either. Skeetermag posted about an addict who is trying to do it himself with dangerous consequences. My addict husband has tried both rehab and doing it himself many times, none working out very well. And to be honest, it can be scary. The drugs they give for withdrawals can be abused just like their drugs of choice. Hoping for the best for you...
Old 04-15-2008, 07:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies. She has refused to go the docotor. It makes me sad, but it solves our dilema over how much to help her till she goes into detox. If she's not going to help herself then we're not going to help her either. She'll get a ride to detox and that's it.
Old 04-15-2008, 12:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

welcome j.j. to S.R. keep coming back. read around,read "what addicts do" at the top of the main forum page.there is alot of info here. i hope your step daughter gets into rehab & can make it. it is up to her. prayers for her ,her father & you.
Old 04-15-2008, 02:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Get Caught Reading

(((((Luney)))))

Sorry to hear about your stepdaughter. You've come to a great place for
feedback, support, and experience from others who share similar concerns.
Your husband cannot give her any more money. Enabling is a big no-no.
She will only use it for drugs and that will make him feel even worse.
It's hard, I know. He thinks he's helping because she's telling him that he is.
He's not helping. My son robbed my home after being addicted to heroin for 5 years. I finally had to say "no more".
I had him arrested. He spent 6 months in jail. He's doing much better today. He's 26 now and on medication for bi-polar disorder.
Keep coming back and maybe you both could get to an alanon meeting in your area. Face to face meetings are so helpful.
You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers,
Old 04-15-2008, 02:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Please do not give her money, cause we all know where it will go.
Old 04-15-2008, 05:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I was going to say the same thing... most rehabs, at least the ones I know of require one to go to the hospital before rehab.

Originally Posted by peaceteach View Post
My son went to the hospital for detox for 3-4 days. Does your hospital have a psych/behavioral ward? I would guess she is still on your husband's or her mother's insurance?
Old 04-15-2008, 07:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

Detox is just the tip of the iceberg. One should go straight from there to Inpatient treatment and from there to sober living house.
A full treatment plan will have the best chance of success.
of course there has to be financial support and willingness on her part to undergo treatment. It is never as easy as a couple of days detox...believe me.