Notices

Hello, I'm New!

Old 04-11-2008, 05:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello, I'm New!

Hello,

I'm D from Detroit I am 20 years old and I have a really bad problem with addiction. Its not just one drug / alcohol its everything. Deep down inside I want to stop, I say it everyday all the time. Although I still make the wrong decisions for some reason. I can't figure out how to stop or fix my problems I hate it. I've lost everything from money to friends but thankfully I still have my family. I'm super depressed comapred the old person I used to be really just coming on here to read some peoples stories to hopefully get some more understanding.

Thanks,
D
Old 04-11-2008, 05:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dman View Post
Hello,

I'm D from Detroit I am 20 years old and I have a really bad problem with addiction. Its not just one drug / alcohol its everything. Deep down inside I want to stop, I say it everyday all the time. Although I still make the wrong decisions for some reason. I can't figure out how to stop or fix my problems I hate it. I've lost everything from money to friends but thankfully I still have my family. I'm super depressed comapred the old person I used to be really just coming on here to read some peoples stories to hopefully get some more understanding.

Thanks,
D
A lot of us have the same problem, will do just about anything to change the way we feel. Any drug, sex, compulsive activity. Hopefully you'll hear something that will make a difference.

WELCOME!
Old 04-11-2008, 05:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Welcome to SR
Old 04-11-2008, 05:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

D, at 20 years old, you have your whole life ahead of you. I am impressed that you are wanting to do something about you addiction at such a young age. This would be a good time because believe me, it will only get worse, much worse.

You can make other sober friends, and there is always more money to be made. But right now just focus on the issue at hand, and that is not drinking or using today.

Please keep posting, I am so glad you are here.
Old 04-11-2008, 05:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Next stop: real life

Hey, D, welcome to SR. There's a lot of younger people here - it's a good place for us kids.
Old 04-11-2008, 06:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I am so glad that you have decided to change your life.

I wish you well.
Old 04-11-2008, 06:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Helping Others, Helps Me

I wish I would have stopped when I had the problems I did three years ago @ 20. Here I am three years later, and I am much more of a mess. And a failed 4 year relationship because of my drinking. And it hurts sooo bad. It does...

If you are correct saying you have lost friends and have no money left because of your drinking, it sounds like alcohol is affecting your life. Don't hesitate to post here and read what others have to say. Posting here on a daily basis, as well as reading here, helps me a lot! How bad do you want it DMAN?
Old 04-12-2008, 10:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replys everyone. I might only be 20 but I've actually done enough drugs to be 30. I don't really like going into details but lets just say I've been way past being able to say I've experimented. I really want to change and It's just the people I am around and the lifestyle I live apparently. Hopefully everything will get better.
Old 04-12-2008, 12:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
mle-sober

D, Is there any chance that you could get into a treatment center? I think that might be a good thing for you. It can be so hard to get sober initially - and they give you lots of tools for handling sobriety in the rest of you life when you leave.

I'm glad you came here. I hope it helps. And I think just wanting to get help is a huge step. Hang in there!
Old 04-12-2008, 12:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Hi and welcome . 20 years old? What a great, mature decision you've made to stop using/ drinking. I hope you find the forum as helpful as I have!
Old 04-12-2008, 02:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Dman

Originally Posted by dman View Post
I might only be 20 ... I really want to change ... It's just the people I am around and the lifestyle I live apparently. Hopefully everything will get better.
You're never too young or too old to have a problem - and it's never too early or too late to realize that. It's great that you're pondering this at your age. I'm 28 and I wish I had nipped this a decade ago. But we all walk down different paths. The important thing is you DO want to change. However, addiction is not a passive event that just "happens" because of an unhealthy lifestyle and the "wrong" people. It's more deep seated and complex than that. The good news is that you're apparently willing to do the work to start changing. Change is scary, but it's unavoidable and it's worth it.

Take good care, read a lot, post a lot

Matt
Old 04-13-2008, 01:06 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the site, Dman!! I'm glad you found us. We are many people here, from all over the world, but we have one thing in common: we are trying to beat our addictions, and with the help of our friends here we are doing just that! Keep coming back here. I've found lots of support and encouragement here and I'm sure you will too!

:ghug
Old 04-13-2008, 11:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hey Dman , good move its a first step on a long ,but potentially joyful road , I too am recoverying from "severe hard drug abuse " and though I didn't get it until age 46 , I can tell you you are in the right forum . Drug use is a symptom of a deseased spirit , but there is real treatment and as inconvenient or expensive as it might be , a rehabilitation(detox) program , may save your life , a whole lot of time , a ton of money and probably a lot of heartache too. if you are truly ready to get back your life , better than it was before ,and maybe better than you ever dreamed it could be , keep seeking help, I have found Narcotics Anonymous meetings to be excellant as well as just plain talking honestly to other addicts .. The other secret is listening to people that care and know.
It will probably come as a shock to you but I , for instance , actually give a damn wether you recover or not ! you'll find a lot of that here,,, keep reading!