Notices

Breathing techniques save me from panic attacks

Old 04-11-2008, 12:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Breathing techniques save me from panic attacks

I have had to deal with panic attacks for a good portion of my life. BUT I have not had a single one in two years. I have found that the answer to stopping the panic attacks, for me, was so simple. It was advice that I failed to hear for years but was all that I needed to do. Here it is:

Slow down, and breathe.

I don't know why it works, but it works every time for me. It is not an instant solution, but if you just keep breathing slowly you will eventually calm down. You should REALLY try this. When you start to get that strange panicy feeling, just breathe deeply and very slowly, focusing only on your breathing. It may take you a while to get the hang of this technique, but once you get the hang of it it is a lifesaver. Give it a try!

I would love to hear peoples experience with breathing techniques.
Old 04-11-2008, 02:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

In my journey dealing with BP2/PTSD, I have used deep breathing to counter my anxiety...and it works very well for me. It was something I kinda stumbled on....I started instinctively breathing deep when the anxiety would start to rise and I found that it helped me...
Old 04-14-2008, 01:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sweet Christmas secrets

I too use breathing as a method to control my panic.

concentrated breathing..in thru the nose out thru the mouth...
Usually works.
if not
I have zanax but rarely have to use them.
Old 04-14-2008, 01:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sweet Christmas secrets

I also use breathing as a means of controlling my panic.
concentrated deep breathing..in thru my nose out thru my mouth...close my eyes and think only on the breathing.

I have zanax in case I need but I have only used 3 zanax in the last 4 months..
Old 04-14-2008, 07:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The breathing techniques can be a life saver at the onset of a panic attack, but I've found that doing them daily regardless of how I feel makes the attacks much less frequent. So my advice is to take what you're doing when you start to feel panic and start doing it every day no matter how you're feeling. So even if you don't feel anxious, take a couple minutes for yourself every day and do your breathing exercises and meditation. I also recommend getting a book on meditation. I used Meditation for Wimps and just using the techiques frrom that cut down my panic attacks a lot.
Old 04-20-2008, 07:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I learned the breathing technique when I studied yoga and I use them when I´m really anxious.

I think Scarlati is right and I need to do it on a daily basis. I´m going to start right now.

Love and light,
Old 04-21-2008, 06:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Agreed on breathing techniques really helping with PAs. One small trick I learned back when I used to have full blown attacks: I found myself gasping for air and trying to breathe in. A yoga instructor pointed out that, in fact, I had to breath OUT first doh . So when I do my breathing exercises now I start by expelling air from my lungs before taking that first deep breath.

Matt
Old 04-21-2008, 02:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

That is actually exactly what I do!