Higher Power ?

Old 04-10-2008, 09:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
down the rabbit hole

Higher Power ?

Hi all. Here is my question for everyone - something I seem to be struggling with right now. When people say "turn it over to your higher power" - what does that mean exactly? I mean, how do you DO that? Does it mean, always take no action? Does it mean, do something you've been unsure about doing? How will I know if I'm doing/not doing the right thing? If I'm doing something that's contrary to my instincts - like not "helping" someone when normally I would be - how do I know I'm doing what my HP wants me to do, when it feels so uncomfortable...
I'm trying to let "someone" else take over the reins for a little bit while I figure myself out, but I'm just not sure how to put this into practice?

Thanks everyone.

-Alice
Old 04-10-2008, 10:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Retired Pro Drunk

For me, this comes up in situations where I really want to take control but understand that there are things beyond my control. The example that seems most relevant is controlling other people.

I can't control anyone. I can't control what they do, how they feel, or make them "see" what's best for them.

In those situations, I can turn that over to my HP. It's a way for me to say that I understand there's nothing I can do here and me worrying about it is only hurting me.

I also know that my HP, whatever it decides to do is exactly what is supposed to happen. I may not always understand in the end why something happens the way it does, especially when it's a bad thing. Someone ends up in jail or dying or hurting someone else... That's when it's really hard. I have to have faith in my HP that whatever did happen, it was meant for a greater purpose.

When I "turn it over," it doesn't mean I do nothing. It means that I accept there's nothing I can do.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

For me it means let my higher power handle the things that are out of my control and accepting that whatever the issue is, it is out of my control.

For example, I am interviewing for jobs. I can prepare for the interview, go in and give my best during the interview and follow up to see what happened afterwards but the final decision is up to whoever is hiring. Rather than worry about it and potentially relapse over it, I can turn it over to my higher power. I am not giving up I am just accepting the fact that it is out of my hands at a certain point.

Hope that makes sense - Good question!
Old 04-10-2008, 10:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

For me, my faith leads me to listen for what God wants for me in my life thru prayer and meditation. I let go of those things I cannot control and trust God to deal with it. I trust God to lead me where I need to go.

I "hear" from God in a multitude of ways. I'll give you a for instance. I was contemplating bribing my AH to sign our settlement agreement altho a piece of me was thinking that wouldn't be right. I believe God clarified my thinking on the matter thru the words of people in hear, leading me to conclude that nop, bribery is not for me and would be contrary to me acting with integrity as I want to do.

Another for instance. When I was thinking about leaving my AH and looking half heartedly for a place to live, I by coincidence took a friend to look at apartments, ended up talking with the leasing manager and found my apartment even though I thought I'd have a hard time finding a place that took 4 cats. I believe coincidences are often brought about by God's will.

For turning things over to God does not mean taking no action. God helps those who help themselves as the saying goes. But I listen for indications of what God wants.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
down the rabbit hole

[QUOTE=justanothrdrunk;1734908]For me, this comes up in situations where I really want to take control but understand that there are things beyond my control. The example that seems most relevant is controlling other people.

I can't control anyone. I can't control what they do, how they feel, or make them "see" what's best for them.
QUOTE]

thanks Just - this is exactly my thinking. I am just realizing lately how controlling I can be - how hard it is for me to let something go and let it sit in someone else's hands. If I'm not doing/saying/acting in some way to "help" or to change their mind - I feel like I'm wasting time. Because I know best!! (haha)

I am trying really hard to step back from that, and trust that everything is unfolding according to plan. I don't understand the plan though, and that's frustrating... at what point am I just forcing my will on someone else, and is my 'forcing' ever 'part' of the plan...
Old 04-10-2008, 10:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
down the rabbit hole

tennis, I like the job interview example. It's easy to wrap my head around. And of course, once the interview was over... I wouldn't call back the interviewer and beg them to hire me! Even though in my own life - I know that's kind of what I'm doing...
thank you!
Old 04-10-2008, 01:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

A true Christian already knows that worrying about something doesn't do any good. God already knows what is going to happen. So, if you give it to God, he holds the burden, not you. HIS will be done. Not ours.
Old 04-10-2008, 01:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
down the rabbit hole

I guess I'm just having a little trouble figuring out where my plan ends, and God's/the universe/fate's plan begins...
Old 04-10-2008, 02:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AliceinWndrland View Post
I guess I'm just having a little trouble figuring out where my plan ends, and God's/the universe/fate's plan begins...
in my opinion, God puts enough faith in us (because he gave us the ability) to just do our best, with any given situation. That's all he can ask of us. It's his plan, not ours.