Distracting

Old 04-08-2008, 08:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Distracting

My counselor gave me this handout. I thought I'd share.

DISTRACTING

A useful way to remember these skills is the phrase...

Wise Mind ACCEPTS

With Activities:
Engage in exercise or hobbies; do cleaning; go to events;call or visit a friend; play computer games; go walking; work; play sports; go out to a meal;, have decaf coffee or tea; go fishing; chop wood, do gardening; play pinball.

With Contributing:
Contribute to someone; do volunteer work; give something to someone else; do a surprising thoughtful thing.

With Comparisons:
Compare yourself to people coping the same as you or less well than you. Compare yourself to those less fortunate than you. Watch soap operas: read about disasters, others' suffering.

With opposite Emotions:
Read emotional books or stories, old letters; got ot emotional movies; listen to emotional music. Be sure the events creates different emotions. Ideas: scary movies, joke books, comedies, funny records, religious music, marching songs, "I am Woman (Helen Reddy); going to a store and reading funny greeting cards.

With Postpone:
Push the situation away by leaving it for a while. Leave the situation mentally. Bulid an imaginary wall between yourself and the situation.

Or push the situation away by blocking it in your mind. Censor ruminating. Refuse to think about the painful aspects of the situation. Put the pain on a shelf. Box it up and put it away for a while.

With otherThoughts:
Count to 10; count colors in a painting or tree, windowsk anything; work puzzles; watch tv; read.

With intense other Sensations:
Hold ice in hand; squeeze a rubber ball very hard; stand under a very hard and how shower; listen to very loud music; put a rubber band on wrist and let go.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
play the tape all the way thru

Thanks for this! I can really use it right about now.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sorry, It's pretty late and I noticed lots of typos, and it won't let me edit, will try and fix tomorrow