mother with hands tied

Old 04-08-2008, 12:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

mother with hands tied

I have a son that is 28 years old he is addicted to pain killers. All his money goes to vicodin. someone told me to try and get him to go to a dr and get on suboxone. They said it will get him off the vicodin but my question is will he get addicted to the suboxone? Has anyone heard of the drug? And do you know if it is true . That it will help
Old 04-08-2008, 12:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

If he does not want to quit then it will do you no good to tell him to go to a doctor and get on sub. Sub will work if one is really committed to quitting. If not, then more than likely the subs will just get sold or traded for his Vics. A lot of addicts will also use subs to keep from getting dopesick if their DOC is not available. That is what my daughter does when she can't get heroin. Subs can be bought on the street but they are pretty expensive. Your son can get better but only when he wants to and is ready to. Hugs, Marle
Old 04-08-2008, 01:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Bev,
I think a lot of people come here looking for the perfect answer, particularly when it is for our addicted kids. The real truth is that there is no perfect answer, but a lot of support for YOU and how anguished your life has become as his mother who desperately wants to help. Have you done much reading on addiction and how it is 100% up to the addict to seek help for it to truly take? They have to really want it.

That said, I have a 24 year old son, also addicted to oxy's, who came to me several weeks ago wanting to try suboxone. I was very upset by the fact that he wanted to take another drug to replace a drug and told him so. Plus, I had been under the assumption he was no longer doing them so I was doubly angry. Despite my thoughts, he took it upon himself to seek this treatment and committed himself to a 3-day stay with the advice of his counselor, and is now on the suboxone program. The way it worked for him was there are only a few doctors who have the training and license to subscribe suboxone and you have to find those docs and make an appt. My son was going to try that way but wound up in the office of his counselor having major withdrawal and his blood pressure sky-rocketed and they told him he needed to get to a hospital. I didn't even know he was there until I got out of work that day. It was an awful 3-4 days for him in that hospital, but he was so determined that he stuck it out and they got his dosage regulated by the 4th day.

I don't know whether it will work or not, but my son believes in it and it really is up to him to do this, not me. He learned about it from a friend who had been taking oxy's and then went on the program to stop. This also came after one friend died and two others were arrested, not close friends but kids whom he had known in school. The combination of those factors, plus my own "hands off the addict" and keeping my focus on myself and not supporting him in his drug use anymore (cut him off financially after coming here to SR and reading from many expert mothers) seemed to lead him to this point. He speaks very highly of the suboxone program, which is not considered to be too successful unless they also work a program with it--steps, counseling, groups--which he is also sinking himself into. Is your son ready for this? Will it be his idea, not yours? Can you allow yourself to let him find this information out on his own or merely mention it and let him take the steps to investigate and seek help himself?

I still have my doubts about this "substitution" program, but again, it's not my call and completely out of my hands. Plus he's only been on the suboxone for a week and a half. But he says it is working. He really wants it to work, though. That would make all the difference for anyone trying to quit, I'm sure.
Old 04-08-2008, 04:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

Welcome to the forum from another mom of addicted 23 yr old son.
Through the yrs. I have detached from son at times when that was the only option. Three other times I have successfully convinced his to check into inpatient treatment, which is where he is now.
As mothers it is a fine line we walk. When my son's addiction gets bad and his life isn't working too well, he is more likely to listen and agree to treatment.
I am very open and honest with my son about his addiction and do not step around the issue. Any discussion about treatment option you can have with son can be good, if he chooses not to listen at least you are having honest communication.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

welcome to S.R i agree if he does not want to come off the drugs he want. he has got to want to be clean. please read around this forum. there is alot of info here. keep coming back. prayers,
Old 04-08-2008, 07:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome from another mom (27 year old son)
my son has been living in a soberhouse for the last two years...

I remember when I was looking for and researching options (in-patients, out-patients, halfway houses, rehabs etc) someone told me "there are no successful programs....only successful people"

I think that answers the question whether suboxone will work....only if your son truly wants it to work....

in the meantime.....try to start focusing on yourself and reclaiming the life that I am guessing you have lost to his addiction....
Old 04-08-2008, 09:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

MY dtr who turned 25 April 4th.............admitted herself into the hosipital om March 20h...........she detoxed HARD from snoritng Oxy and doing a gram a day of coaine and 1/2 ounce of POT and viciodin and loratabs.........also drinking yeagermeister for breakfast and chasing it with beer.............all day long!!!!!!!!

she was put in suboxone..............for 5 days in the Hospital............
This drug actually made hre more HIGH than she was doing her won choice of drugs..............she was a MESS!!!!!!!

SHe is now in another rehab.....................and loving life again.................she is also DX as Bi-polar and on her meds AGAIN.................
I do not trust this................and can't anymore....................
she is on a 90 day cycle now............of MANIC behavior!

NO One in my family understands how much this hurts ME................I am raising her 2 boys ages 5 and 2+...................
NO one understands how BAD I feel and that it is like a death to me of my DTR...........

I believe she will not stop until she is dead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THis IS true with her........................I KNOW it............

No one knows how to treat her..............addiction or bi-polar...........???
nOW THEY ARE SAYING add? ADHD???????
omg!!!!!!!

CAN SOMEONE HELP HER?????

THIS FALSE DRUG TO GET THEM THRU THE DETOX IS NOTHING!!!!!!!!

Another step to where MY Dtr is right now...................heading towards her death!!!!!!!

ALL I can advise here is this...................

THINK OF THE BIG PICTURE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Death is what will come..............of our precious children that we did NOT raise to do this or be this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

XOXOXO

Nonny6