Notices

Filling all the newfound time????

Old 04-04-2008, 06:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Filling all the newfound time????

Got 28 days now (including 14 inpatient/detox) and already I'm finding lots of 'empty' time. For those of you who have been on this trail longer than I, how do you utilize this newfound time? Do you try to fill it w/ recovery-related things like AA meetings, reading and such? Or have you been able to divorce yourself from this long enough to go back to doing the things you did before alcohol consumed so much time?

Additionally, how have you developed a positive support system? Is it strictly through AA or have you been able to utilize friends and family, even if it took a bit of time to for them understand the 'new' you?

Obviously, I've got a lot of this newfound fallow time on my hands 'cuz I just keep thinking about this stuff over and over.

Thanks for any insights you may have in this odd time.
Old 04-04-2008, 07:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I've been bouncing back and forth between stopping and relapsing but yes, I too wonder what I'm going to do with the time I used to spend drinking. I've got the additional problem of being currently unemployed, so have even more time on my hands. I spend a lot of time on my computer, but then, I used to spend a lot of time on the computer while drinking. I just do it now without drinking. I've been taking my dogs for walks more often than usual, which is very good for them and they love getting out more anyway. I also watch a lot of movies on the computer and spend a lot of time in my own little 'theatre'. But other than that, I would also like some ideas on how people spend their new found non-drinking time.
Old 04-04-2008, 07:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Just for today

I need help with this too!! I'm only on day 4 and feeling a little lost and tearful. Had a long chat on the phone with a lady I met at the meeting yesterday, and just been for a walk with a girlfriend. But now.......what do I do with the rest of my time. My daughter goes to my ex on alternate weekends and this is her weekend away, which before was non-stop party time for me, from Thursday through til Monday. I know I've got to stay away from all that ****. There isn't a meeting I can go to until Sunday morning, so that's a lot of ex-drinking time to fill.

Any advice would be hugely appreciated.
Old 04-04-2008, 07:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have honey-do list as long as my arm. It's amazing how much stuff goes undone when I am drinking. Spring is here, time to get the yard in shape. Not that being sober cures being lazy, but it's a thought...
Old 04-04-2008, 08:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Last Call View Post
I have honey-do list as long as my arm. It's amazing how much stuff goes undone when I am drinking. Spring is here, time to get the yard in shape. Not that being sober cures being lazy, but it's a thought...
lol, so true.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well, let's see.... My house is REALLY clean. I've been reading a lot (and actually remembering what I read the next day), taking care of paperwork in the evenings which I was never coherent or motivated enough to do before, spending more relaxed time with my kids. Just kind of doing what I did before but enjoying it, savoring it, (remembering it!). The routine I have had to change is the time I usually started drinking. I think it's been crucial for me to find something else to do during that time - exercise, garden, or whatever.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

im back studying in the evenings, doing part of my maths exam this past couple of weeks, done the little ones room up (shes the only girl of 5 kids), oh i love going round the charity shops to see if i can find any interesting bits and pieces (my favourite pastime).
Old 04-04-2008, 11:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

shhhhhhhhhhh dont say anything....but I got tired of the bordom....I just started a business out of my home ( I like making quilts)...it is why I havent been on line much...........lol
you find all sorts of things, I just bought my own home, I am gardening for myself for the first time ever ( sorry momma........lol) and I am doing all sorts of stuff............oh walking by the water, now there is something new........before ok it was there a place for me and the crew to go to bbq , fish swap and get drunk......now it is so serine and peaceful!!! There are many things to do, have kids??? Spend some qua.lity time with them.... BOARD games.....lol there is all sorts of WONDERFUL things to do.....lol

Good Luck and God Bless!!!!
Pamm