Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

so what's up with son not getting caught driving while suspended

Old 04-02-2008, 07:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A friend told me the other day her son had just bought a car so they put on a plate (expired) from the garage thinking it would be okay for one day til he got to Secretary of State. Not so. he got stopped and was given a ticket.

So here's my AS, living in the same town, who has been driving a car with expired plates for 9 months!! The state is changing the colors on the plates, so the plate is glaringly the wrong color!! He has been given a ticket for driving on this plate which he did not pay along with 6 tickets he has not paid - so there has to be a bench warrant by now. Not only that, somebody dropped a brick or something on the windshield, so more than three-quarters of that windshield is cracked. I thought for sure that windshield would break all the way in the winter with him heating up the inside of the car. But no!!! He has had that car towed twice for meeting criteria for being abandoned, but he just pays the storage fee, gets it out of storage, and then parks it right back in the same apartment complex parking lot that towed it the other times!!

I can only think that God's timing is involved in this. It's as if God has made my son invisible to the police until a time when God wants him to get caught in all this. That's the only explanation i can think of in this whole bizarre story.

Anybody come across this??
Old 04-02-2008, 07:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My son drove for nine months or so without his license (after dui) without getting pulled over. Then about two weeks after he got his license back, he got pulled over for speeding.

I'm not sure that God has a hand in it but then....maybe he does.....
Old 04-02-2008, 07:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hilarious little story, I got sober on my birthday, had ordered my new tags by mail, received them and promptly forgot all about it. I drove around for 5 odd months with expired tags, never got pulled over.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
hbb
Live, Laugh, Love

My friend got a dui then 2 weeks decided to go to work and they randomly ran his plate and saw it was suspended so he was towed on the scene and the plates were immediately returned to the Registry by the police!!!

Dangerous to play with fire. Your son has been lucky IMO, he should be concerned if he should get in an accident and harm another person. Not worth the risk.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

HBB:

Yeah, he should be concerned with no insurance. But, unfortunately, at 21 yrs old, I cannot do a damn thing to protect him or anyone else. And with him being in addiction, there's no personal integrity on his part right now...
Old 04-02-2008, 08:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
hbb
Live, Laugh, Love

Your right, there is nothing you can do. When i started dating my exabf, he had no insurance for i don't know how long. It made me so mad but that was his problem, not mine.

My friend that lost his license, his wife (my bestfriend) washed her hands of it, he gets rides from whom ever, she's detached herself from his problem. I know your probably very concerned as a mother as i would be too.

Just remember the 3 C's -

You didn't cause it
You can't control it
You can't cure it

big hugs to you...
Old 04-02-2008, 08:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Originally Posted by sojourner View Post
there's no personal integrity on his part right now...
I was just thinking about the $400 in parking tickets I just paid to be sure my plates are good. They expired yesterday.
In the past such never would of happened and in the future there will not be another collection of such parking tickets either *LOL* (not my doing but boundaries will fix that)

In the past the ...no personal integrity... had me take a quick left into a parking lot when I had seen a police car up ahead.
In the past, a lack of money (or not putting the money in the right place) had me drive about with bad plates.
We do what we feel needs be done to get what we want. Laws? They are for other people, not me.
I remember hitching a ride when I was younger. A guy stops and gives me a ride into the city. He was laughing and said... I hope you don't mind riding with a guy who doesn't have his lic. (he lost it because of a DUI) The reasoning he used to continue to drive... The courts said go to drunk driving classes and AA meetings...so he drove there with no lic.

If the car is in his name and listed at your house as place of residence but he has no insurance... a good lawyer can twist the system and go after your house insurance if he ever gets in an accident. If the car has your name on it, they can go after you directly. There are some cases where what others do can ruin our proper efforts.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Best: Okay, you pose my dilemma. The plates and title are listed at this address because that is where he lived when he first got them. How do i get those addresses changed??
Old 04-02-2008, 10:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sojourner View Post
Best: Okay, you pose my dilemma. The plates and title are listed at this address because that is where he lived when he first got them. How do i get those addresses changed??

Shouldn't cause you any problems if the mail from the SoS is getting sent to your address, if his is the only name on the title he has to go to the SoS to get the address changed. What you could do in the interim, when mail comes addressed to him write on the envelope "not at this address" let the post office and the SoS figure it out.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:29 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'd call the Department of Motor Vehicles and ask.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:31 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
play the tape all the way thru

Like I told my xabf. If you keep breaking the law it will catch up to you. My xabf drinks and drives all the time. He says he will "never" get a DUI...ha!! Everyone I have known in the past has said the exact same thing and they get popped eventually.

The key word being "eventually."