Focus on recovery

Old 04-01-2008, 01:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

Talking Focus on recovery

My 23 yr. old son told me two months ago that he would die from his addiction + alcholism in his twenties. Today, hopefully he sees a different life for himself.

WooHoo ! He just completed 5 weeks of inpatient rehab. He is allowed his 1st phone call home at 6 weeks. I'm excited to hear from him this weekend.

There is recovery. Let it begin with me. As I recover, accept a HP and seek a spritiual path, my whole family benefits.
5 yrs. of al-anon gives me the tools to keep boundaries & balance, and clean up my "own stuff" in my relationships and in my life. I am grateful for what this fellowship offers both of us. Through the yrs. since he's been an addict, I have learned to focus on myself and realize that I have a lot to recover from too. It is wonderful that my son brought me to recovery just as I brought him.

I nudged him to go to rehab for three yrs. Things happen just when they should. He finally got to a point that he accepted that it was time to go, because he had run out of options, other than the street and the needle. Again, with much interference and prodding from me. I never stopped trying to get him into treatment. I firmly believe when our loved ones are young,
they need guidance to convince them to get the help they need and the family resources to make it happen. It doesn't happen quickly, but IMHO it's mportant to keep nudging them and as difficult as it will be, to stay connected to them.

And to focus on my own recovery and growth.
Old 04-01-2008, 02:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

It is wonderful that my son brought me to recovery just as I brought him.
It does seem to happen that way, doesn't it? Sort of like a two-for-one special. Or a bo-go....
Old 04-01-2008, 02:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

FormerDoormat " two-for-one special " ... love that !!
My son is learning to give up booze and drugs.
There is a lot for me to give up too. The more simple I keep it, the better off I am.
Control and rescuing I can give those up. I clung to them for a long time. Don't need them any more.
Old 04-01-2008, 02:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Spiritual Seeker View Post
Control and rescuing I can give those up. I clung to them for a long time. Don't need them any more.
Me too! I used to be unable to see my bahviors as controlling. Now I can and have worked hard at stopping them. It has improved my relationships with my sons and with friends.
Old 04-01-2008, 03:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Awesome post. Thanks for sharing your ESH.

I would dare to say that mentioning that an addict get help should not just be for the young. Any age needs to hear that message in a loving way.

pray for my situation. AS had a court date today - either for eviction or to tow his car (for the third time) as abandoned from the parking lot - either way, it could be the circumstance that strips him of his denial...
Old 04-01-2008, 07:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sojourner - you absolutely add a wise addendum here, "Any age needs to hear the message in a loving way." With much coaxing, I took my stepdad to his 1st two AA mtgs. not too long ago and now he's been sober 17 mos. Because I had previously taken the advice of al-anon and attended open AA mtgs., I felt comfortable doing so.
He only went to one more mtg. on his own. So even w/o AA, he had stayed sober.
Unfortunately, he hasn't taken a look at his character defects, so they linger.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am so pleased for you and your son, and i admire you for not giving up. youve fought for yourself and for him. I wish you all the best.
Mair xx
Old 04-02-2008, 09:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Smile Guidelines for a "nudge!!!"

Spiritual Seeker-
Thanks for this post & update on your son's and your recovery!

Let me ask you - when you say "nudge towards recovery" can you give me a picture of that? Like what is the language of nudging??

As a recovering codie I'm pretty sure there is 10 feet of SHOVE in my nudges!!!

I guess I haven't been able to finesse these things properly, so I just avoid nudging my A Brothers at all, ever, towards anything...

Any guidance...?
Thanks and Peace,
B.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Bernadette- I will respond to your "Nudge" inquiry later today when I have more time.

Mair- thanks for your continual support and friendship
Old 04-02-2008, 11:33 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

SS this is great news! Very happy for you!
Old 04-02-2008, 03:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

SS
I've been thinking about you and your son. I'm so glad to hear that he is staying at the center and that you'll be able to talk to him soon.

gentle hugs
Old 04-02-2008, 04:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Sojourner - you absolutely add a wise addendum here, "Any age needs to hear the message in a loving way."

Very wise words.. :ghug3 :ghug3
Old 04-03-2008, 08:59 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

I firmly believe when our loved ones are young,
they need guidance to convince them to get the help they need and the family resources to make it happen. It doesn't happen quickly, but IMHO it's mportant to keep nudging them and as difficult as it will be, to stay connected to them.

And to focus on my own recovery and growth.
SS.... I am happy to hear your news and your son's progress...so hopeful.........Yes , this is a belief, I too, share.
I have followed your journey and I have admired your honesty, strength and courage....I appreciate your recovery and what it takes to strike that balance between your recovery and being a mom to your son...well done....
Old 04-03-2008, 10:46 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Awesome words of encouragement from you that puts a bounce in my step today.
Which is great, because I am off to an aerobic class.
I have been a part of this site for almost a yr. now; I am continually inspired, encouraged, humored, grateful and touched by you all.