red wine and grief

Old 03-30-2008, 10:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

red wine and grief

My name is chip, and I'm an alcoholic. I need to share.

We're grieving the loss of a close family member, and waiting for another family member to pass away.

I'm thankful that I got through the weekend sober. Taking a drink isn't an option for me, but I watched everyone else drink to their sorrow.

I wasn't able to attend a meeting this week because of all the chaos, and the fact that my wife doesnt' want me to leave her side.

We hosted some family at a 4 star hotel, and blew a fantastic amount of money in the process. Booze was a major focus of the night. If I was drinking, I know I'd be in very rough shape right now.

Last night, I slept in a luxurious kingsized bed, with wine soaked pillows and sheets. I helped my dear wife through a very bad hangover today. Red wine and grief don't mix well.... it's hard on me as a recovering alcoholic, but it was harder on my poor wife. She is suffering a great deal, and her drinking isn't helping her.
chip
Old 03-31-2008, 07:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Chip
I am so very sorry for your loss. This is a very difficult time for you and your family. Grief and booze are a bad combination no matter how you look at it. Just keep taking it one day at a time and if necessary, one minute at a time.

gentle hugs
Old 03-31-2008, 08:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Today's Muse

I used wine to help deal with the death of my Father. It didn't help, but made matters worse. I'm sorry for the loss and grief you, your wife, and family are experiencing. You are so right. Red wine and grief do not make for a good mix.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

:praying (((((((((((((((chip)))))))))))))))))

((((((((((((((((chips family))))))))))))))))))

Old 03-31-2008, 11:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Chip, so sorry for your loss and your family's pain. I am not an alcoholic (my father was). When he was dying from cancer, I drank tequilla to numb the pain. It worked for a short while, then I sought counseling.

Thank you for sharing with us. Peace to you and your family.

Shivaya