Notices

Day 7, first post, another long night

Old 03-30-2008, 01:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 7, first post, another long night

Hi all,
As I said, this is my first post and really my first time seeking out a support group to help with my alcoholism. Don't really know how this goes, but I've read several threads and it seems and intro is in order.
I've been a heavy drinker for about 10-12 years, average a 12-pack a night, not uncommon to go through a case of beer on a Sat. or Sun. I suppose I've somehow managed to stay "functional." Grad school, good job, my wife and two small kids still love me. I usually go through heavy drinking phases that last a few weeks, then I quit cold turkey for a few days and then drink moderately untill it gets out of hand again. This go round I'm using Antabuse, which I ordered on-line. Anyway, days aren't so bad right now. The cravings are there, but I bury myself in work or household chores so I'm getting through it. Nights are the worst of course. Still having lots of trouble sleeping. My coffee consumption has tripled now that I'm sober, but I try not drink any after 5p.m.
A kind word or a little advice from you guys would be much appreciated.
Old 03-30-2008, 02:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Welcome! Glad you are here! Have you ever considered attending an AA meeting or other "outside" support group? I certainly wish you well on your road to recovery---in the meantime, hang around here, read some of the posts. Keep sharing. Again--welcome to SR! :ghug2
Old 03-30-2008, 03:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

Hi Thib - welcome to SR!

You'll find a lot of support, and make a few friends here as well.

I didn't catch it in your post -
but are you seeing a medical doc about detoxing?

Alcohol withdrawals can be fatal when going 'cold turkey' ...
I can't emphasise enough the importance of seeing a doctor,
and being completely honest with them about your consumption.

Do you have any plans for continued recovery?

Feel free to read around the site - maybe drop over to Alcoholism Forums and read the stickies at the top of the forum - 'what to expect' and especially the 'Under The Influence' threads.

Use all the links to other information you want -
keep posting I'm sure others will be along in a bit to welcome you!
Old 03-30-2008, 03:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

hiya Thib
yep, support group (we cant do it alone)

and doc, way important...

our way got us here!

good wishes Thib

rz
Old 03-30-2008, 06:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thib,

Congrats on 7 days! It is 8 for me. Your pattern of drinking sounds alot like mine was only add two or three of those little shot bottles a night. Guidance is out there. I found out that without doing some footwork, my mind led me right back to that first drink. I have also learned that in this eight days of searching and listening and not drinking, that I enjoy this. I had to really decide I was done and ask for help. AA, this site, and many other options are available 24/7. Available for you to utilize and help you never go back. Good luck!!
Old 03-30-2008, 06:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

hey welcome!! Sounds like you are doing great - first things first! Well done
Cathy31
x
Old 03-30-2008, 07:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
where the light is

Originally Posted by Thib View Post
Grad school, good job, my wife and two small kids still love me.
Hi Thib,

Good work on day 7! In my case, these were the toughest days both physically & emotionally. I also have a graduate degree, great job, a loving wife, and two small kids. I am so grateful. Plus I'm also reading Duma Key (checked your profile) - about 1/2 way through, one of King's better books in recent memory!

I think the keys to getting as far as I have (day 105 ) are finally accepting that I am an alcoholic, consistantly working on my sobriety (not a negative process - eg. seeking advice, reconnecting with family/friends, new friends (AA meetings), AA step work - learning about myself, prayer), & reaching out for help (AA, SR, family members in my case). The help of other alcoholics & people who understand has been essential. Other recovery programs, counseling & spiritual guidance are also options.

It's been a good journey so far, not always pleasant but that's life - way easier to deal with the tough stuff sober. It really is a better life. Best wishes. D
Old 03-30-2008, 11:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the support guys, it helps.
Barb, I haven't really considered seeing a doctor. I haven't experienced shakes or fever, just moodiness, short-tempered & sleep is still hard.
Gravity, thanks for the post, seems we have several things in common. We live in the country in rural Louisiana. The people in this area are great folks, salt of the earth, but our religous views seldom coincide. I haven't sought out AA because of the higher-power concept. This may be down-fall, hubris never worked out in any book I ever read. Anyway, I haven't found any secular group yet, I really appreciate this forum.
Have any of you used Antabuse before? I'd hate for it to become a crutch, but it's been really helpfull so far. I find that I can muster up the will power to take a couple tabs in the morning, then I don't really have the option to drink at night, when my cravings are the worst. I'm planning to use it for at least 30 days.
I think the longest I've ever gone without drinking before, since I was 15 or so, was 25 days. But even then I was using pot. Really, I think this is the longest I've gone without any mind-altering drug in 15 years. I didn't really think about that untill just now.
Long-term I just don't know yet. I still can't concieve of never, ever having a cold pint again.
I may drink tommorrow, but not today.
Old 03-30-2008, 12:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thib View Post
I may drink tommorrow, but not today.

And that is all you have to do, not drink today. I don't know if the "cravings" every go away, I prefer to think of them as insane thoughts. And I appreciate them, they remind me that I am an alcoholic. Congratulations! It does get better.
Old 03-30-2008, 12:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Seriously Fun!

Sounds like you are on the right track. It is hard to ask for help and support. Welcome. Don't try to do it alone.

That was a hard one for me. Now I know I need other people like me in my life to stay on the right track.
Old 03-30-2008, 12:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
where the light is

Never tried Antabuse but I considered it as a short term solution at one point. There are threads here somewhere about it but personally I would talk to my doctor.

Do you have any kind of access to addictions counseling though work or in your community? Counseling may help and the counselor may be able to identify other face to face resources (eg. support groups). I tried a counselor and it helped me stay sober for some good stretches (so it worked to a point) but it wasn't quite enough for me (but it is for others of course).

Even what you are doing right now is a significant step forward...asking questions. In my case, I'm always learning. D
Old 03-30-2008, 01:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I probably do need to seek counseling, get at the underlying issues of why I abuse alcohol. I've always told myself it was just because I love beer, and I do. I've been a homebrewer for many years, very seldom drink the hard stuff. But I know I can't stop at just one or two, or three, etc. As I said, drinking has been a part of my life for so long, I can't imagine never having it again. But I know it's a problem. And I know I need help. I'm going to keep doing what I'm doing for now, focus on not drinking no matter what. I may seek counseling later, or attend an AA meeting this week.
Old 03-30-2008, 02:31 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Caution...you really need to see a doctor
for liver enzymes function test because Antabuse
is dangerous to use if your liver has damage.

I did use it in early recovery. My doctor would not
write the script unless I had tests done monthly.
And I was never allowed to take 2 a day.

Be both sober and safe.....Welcome to SR!
Old 03-30-2008, 04:40 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Welcome to SR