Notices

Quitting Drinking

Old 03-29-2008, 04:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile Quitting Drinking

Have ever though that it is selfish for you to drink. That you are robbing people of their soberity because you drink and you are an alcoholic.

Imagine that you are person who does not have problem with AA. Yet, AA is not right program for you. AA works great for a lot of person but your are not a spiritual person and the "higher" power concept is difficult for your mind to get.

You look around. And you find groups like Lifering and SMART Recovery. Great programs. You say "great", I can use these programs to help my drinking problem. But the problem is that there is no face-to-face meetings where you live. And you are robbed of the support group that you want. Just having a group that meets 1-3 times a week is all that you need but you are robbed because nobody leads that group.

But then, you look within yourself, then you think "I can bring that group to where I live". But I quit my addiction to do that and I have to be the leader. You question to yourself "Why Me? Why Me?". Yet, your recovery is not based on a "higher power". And then, you look to the cosmos and say that "Fate requires me to lead other alcoholics to their recovery". Like Bill W, you lead other alcoholics into recovery but a different way. Bill W's method works for a lot of people but it is doesn't work for everybody and your mission to led other alcoholics to recovery but not using 12-steps.

Your support Bill's W mission but you know that AA is not for you and other people need another path than AA to recovery. Than you state yourself, than it "I am being selfish" if I do not quit my alcohol abuse because I can bring another recovery to Orange County (the real OC. The County with 3,000,000 people), that is non 12-step based and allows other people are turned off by AA another path to recover. Is that Bill W wants? Not everybody is suited for AA and there is needs to alternative to AA for the alcoholics and drug addicts of Orange County. And yet, I offer the solution and I am only person that brings alternative recovery program to the OC.

Isn't that sad? Is that Burden that you do not want? Yet, that is burden that I face.
Old 03-29-2008, 04:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
mle-sober

Crisco,

I am not sure I understand what you are saying. Are you saying that you feel the burden of bringing an alternative to AA for suffering alcoholics in your area that do not want to go to AA?

If you feel a calling, that sounds like a gift to me. If you are sober and able to help others who are still suffering, that also sounds like a gift to me. If you look at the cosmos and feel as if there is meaning in the universe that supports your efforts, that too sounds like a gift to me.

It sounds like you have many gifts. But that you are feeling many burdens. Do I misunderstand you?
Old 03-29-2008, 05:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've never thought about starting a non-AA group, but if you feel in your heart you can help people by all means do it. There are TONS of people who feel they have no option but to drink and would be thrilled to have another option.

If you are able, do it. I commend you for thinking of others. When I was active I only thought about myself, and usually I still do.
Old 03-29-2008, 05:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

In a community that large, it would take a lot of advertising to get people to come to it. If you have started an alt program, which I am not sure that you are saying you did. Anyway, diff people look for diff programs.
Old 03-29-2008, 05:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The burden that you face is that the world doesn't revolve around what you want or how you think it should be run?

Me too.

Then I got sober, worked the twelve steps (I had no idea what spirituality meant - I just knew I couldn't go on the way I was - first thing I set aside were preconceived notions about things I had no experience with, this means if I had an opinion of what something was/is - it is just my opinion, which does very little for me).
Old 03-29-2008, 08:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

If you are interested in starting a recovery group
I suggest you contact that group for information
as to how they run their meetings.

Here is a list of recovery sites

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-programs.html

I do hope this works out well for you.