Child Support

Old 03-29-2008, 03:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Child Support

Can anyone shed some light on what may happen at our support hearing?
AH is in jail and we have a child support hearing April 11.
He was not in jail when I filed this order.

I have no idea how long he will be there,so obviously he isn't working,will my children be entitled to any money or will they say sorry he can't give you anything.

Will they force him upon release to get employment? He made a damn good living for 23 years,but lost that job due to his alcoholism.

I don't think anyone will hire him in his line of work because people talk and know about his problems. Where does that leave me and my kids. I can support them myself (barely).

He also motioned the court for alimony,what a joke. Could he possibly get that from me when I am sole supporter of these kids?

Thanks for your replies......
Old 03-29-2008, 07:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

(((Aweda)))

I know how stressful it is for me to worry about these things. I work hard to stay calm. Right now, AH is taking me to court to pay half HIS income taxes. On money that was earned by him, not the community. Even though I know it's absurd, I worry I'll get a lunatic judge who will grant it to him.

Try not to project what will happen. Are you doing this alone or do you have an attorney?
Old 03-29-2008, 08:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

I think the courts work in favor of people who have the children in their custody. They may try to make him work and if he does not get that together he could end up in jail again. I believe there are programs for people in his position that will help him. But he will have to seek it out. The fact that he has a problem should not keep him from getting a job. There are companies that get supplemented by hiring someone like him.

I think the judge will laugh in his face concerning alimony but, I could be mistaken. If he is the one with the bigger salary history I would think he is the one who will have to pay not you.

Thinking of you ((((((AWEDA)))))
Old 03-30-2008, 02:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks Guys,
Denny I have a Lawyer for my divorce but not my custody hearing.
They start with a mediator then move to a judge if necessary.
My lawyer told me if by chance they would grant him alimony,
I should appeal and he would come in. No one seems to think I will get any child support from him,which sucks because I just hate telling my kids they can't have the things their friends have.
I am doing the best I can for them,which is all any of us can do.

Thanks again for your support....
Old 03-30-2008, 07:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

When I divorced, child support was awarded and determined by his income. If he should ever lose his job, he still owes me the money. Doesnt matter if his next job is as a burger king flipper. It is HIS responsibility. The courts DO NOT look kindly on men (or women if that be the case ) who bail out on their kids financially. Just the fact he is in jail makes him look like a dead beat.

Do your footwork...let the system process flow. I highly applaud youfor going forth on your own in the case. I too am acting pro se in family court as my deadbeat ex continually, and I mean CONTINUALLY refuses to fulfill his court order obligations. Thats just what the disease does.....good luck and hang in there.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think each state is different, but I know, in GA, they can garnish the wages, and if the guy decides not to work, they get at least 6 months in jail (after their license is revoked). Of course, he has to HAVE a job to have wages garnished.

My niece's sperm donor owes child support from when she was 8...she's now 14, and he's about $13,000 behind. Dad and stepmom (who are raising her) got the paperwork to start going after him, but in our county, you have to give them his address so they can serve the papers. His parents are huge enablers and even when he lives with them, or they pay for his rent on an apt., they will tell the cops they don't know where he is. I told stepmom to have him served next time he's in jail, because then we will KNOW where he is.

It seems like laws are getting tougher on deadbeat dads (or moms in some cases), but it usually takes a while, and if they don't want to work, it makes it worse.

I know you would like to be able to give your kids more, and it's a shame he isn't helping you out. However, remember that you are giving your kids a loving mom and that is worth it's weight in gold.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 03-31-2008, 05:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Each state is different. The levels of enforcement vary highly too. In VA, there is a minimum amount of child support that is levied against the parent who is supposed to pay. A parent who doesn't pay can be jailed and often is found a job and given daily work release where all the pay goes to child support.

Insist on child support regardless of whether he currently has a job. You can request changes periodically if and when his financial circumstances change.