Old 03-28-2008, 10:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
FreeSpirit

"just Say No"

THATS WHAT RECOVERING MEANS TO ME:atv
Old 03-28-2008, 10:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

"If you don't drink you don't get drunk" That sums it up for me.
Old 03-29-2008, 07:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

If I can "JUST SAY NO" to my alcoholic mind I've got it licked. Easier Said than done at times, that's when support comes in.
Old 03-29-2008, 09:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
FreeSpirit

WELCOME TO THE BOAT THAST WHAT IAM TALKING ABOUT IN NEED OF SOME SUPPORT HERE,THROUGH IN THE LIFE SAVER,
Old 03-30-2008, 05:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I remember as a youth (the Reagan years) - "Just say no" - was drilled into our minds.

It didn't work for many. In fact - I don't know any kids I grew up with that 'just said no' - just a few years later when we hit high school. College compounded it, and just saying no never even came to mind.
Old 03-30-2008, 06:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

If I could "just say No" I probably wouldn't be an alchoholic.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ananda View Post
If I could "just say No" I probably wouldn't be an alchoholic.
Right on, that would imply you had a choice in the matter.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The first time I heard "Just Say No" was when I was in 5th grade when the D.A.R.E. officer came to my grammar school. It's funny because he said that a certain percentage of us would be smoking ciggs and using drugs and alcohol. I remember thinking "I wondering who I'll be!?"
Old 03-31-2008, 01:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
FreeSpirit

"TO EACH IS OWN", IF WE CARRY OUT WITH THAT MENTALITY THAT WE CAN'T SAY "NO",JUST FOR TODAY WITH AFFIRMATION AND BOLDNESS,BECAUSE WHAT MAKES US AS "ADDICT OR RECOVERING ADDICTS" IS BEEN WEEK,TO THAT BOTTLE OR DRUG ,THEN HONEY WITH JUST MIGHT ES, GO ON DRINKING ALL OUR LIFE'S CAUSE THIS DISEASE IS NOT PLAYING, AND THIS IS YOUR LIFE IF, SOME BODY WAS ABUSING YOU OR GETTING READY TO ROB YOU AND ,YOU GO WITH THAT MENTALITY WE ALL BE MUG, AND ABUSE SAYING "NO" WITH "ATTITUDE" AND "BOLDNESS" IT'S A "POWERFUL" STATEMENT IMAGINE THE POWER OF ONE VOICE THINK ABOUT IT, "THIS DISEASE IS CUNNING" IT SURE AIN'T GOING TO WAIT FOR YOU, I MITE BE THE CONTROVERSY OF THIS SITE, BUT IS ABOUT "AWARENESS THINKING", THIS DISEASE IS NOT PLAYING IT WILL ARREST YOU IF YOU DON'T ARRESTED,AGRASEFELE THINK ABOUT IT !OH BY THE WAY THATS JUST MY OPINION(NO OFFENSE)!!!!!!!!JUST SAY "NO"
Old 03-31-2008, 01:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

it starts with saying no

just got a quote / retort on a post for saying to a addict in crisis that " you dont NEED a drink"...you want a drink...retort was...well if this guy has become physicaly dependant he may "need " a drink...ok ok...but if he's sitting at his computer and typing...and going back and forth about wether he's gonna drink or not...right now...dont we owe it to him 1rst to suggest NOT drinking and getting up and getting to a meeting or like some of us said to a hospital or Doc's office...I mean...we have to say NO 1rst...to that next drink..or hit...or whatever...at some point it starts with JUST saying NO !...as corny and as cliche' as that is...we shouldnt argue semantics and mess around with riddles about it...how can it be denied we have to say NO...in the face of the truism most of us old timers know...you stop when you say to YOURSELF...NO ! not this time...this time something different.

Of course I dont want anyone on the floor writhing in withdrawl...of course get to a doctor or hospital if thats the case... I mean I guess I should'nt have assumed that that was given.

anywayzzzz... Im saying NO today.

thanx butterfly.

mV2
Old 03-31-2008, 01:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

more on NO

I was in a meeting once long ago...this man (james) siad after a string of shaky sharing from other addicts...that he could say with utter confidence that he was " NOT GONNA USE today " the room was full of GASPS and mumbling as to the danger of this statement...he simply shocked everyone that he could be so cocky...I was uplifted..inspired...he went on to say..."no Im not going to use ...you heard me right... I went to my meeting...I talked to my sponsor...i ate good ...slept good...I'll see ya all tomorrow with another day clean..."

now that was what worked for him...so ( from what I learned... ) if it aint broke dont fix it.

he has around 25years today...a great example and mentor to me.

peace and respect,

miavin2
Old 03-31-2008, 04:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

i have no need to just say no! HHHHMMMMM, because my obsession has been removed. i didn't get sober to have to obsess all day every day, and live in fear of the next "mental blank spot".
I "at certain times [have] no effective mental defense..."
"our so-called will power becomes practically nonexistent. we are unable, at certain times, to bring into our consciousness with sufficient [FORCE] the memory of the suffering and humiliation of even a week or a month ago. we areithout defense against the first drink."...or drug.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:21 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

can't help thinking about if i'd never touched it in the first place. Talk about being grabbed, along with me doing the grabbing also.

damn

and i'm just dealing with the legal drugs, both of them.