stories of active A's and their pets???

Old 03-28-2008, 12:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

stories of active A's and their pets???

A similar type of post prompts the inquiry:

What experience has anyone had with witnessing the active addict and their ability to take care of their pet?
Old 03-28-2008, 02:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I currently have custody of his dog and lizard and fish. I already killed one of the lizards and some of the fish. When he is drinking, he does stupid things with the pets. Like let the lizard out of the tank and let his dog outside in the front yard and down the block without a leash. He's totally incapable of taking care of himself when he's drunk let alone the animals.When we had bunnies, he let them all free in my backyard. ETC ETC ETC
Old 03-28-2008, 02:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

mine took the dogs on walks when drunk and didn't remember anything about it afterwards. i now have custody!
Old 03-28-2008, 03:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

my addict husband is in treatment and when he gets a pass for the dr or whatever he asks to come home to see the dogs.............
hasnt seen the boys/sons in 48 days but wanted to see the dogs..........

when I was worried he was relapsing He once said I'm gonna take the dog with me to run some errand I said.........NO dont please
the whole reason was I kept thinking IF he trades my dog for crack I'll kill HIM
Old 03-28-2008, 04:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My AH thinks he'll take one of our cats when he gets his own place. I don't think he's going to get organized enough to actually take him, though. Or if he takes the cat, I wouldn't be suprised if he dumps him back on me later. He loves this cat like crazy and does feed him and so forth, so I'm not too worried about the cat's well being. However, I'd rather keep him. Its his cat, so I'm leaving him with that responsibility.
Old 03-28-2008, 05:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
play the tape all the way thru

Well ummm my xabf has a sucker fish and few other fish in a 10 gallon tank and ever since our break up he's been out and about partying...so the fish tank is green, slimy and totally gross...glad it's downstairs with him

And he now ignores both of the dogs, which is sad because they don't understand why and they only want his attention.
Old 03-28-2008, 06:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

I was the caretaker for all the pets in my house. Heck, I was the caretaker for EVERYONE. These days my caretaking is limited to myself and my pets.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Amen to that, FD. The only thing I have to say about the addicts I've known and the pets they owned can be summed up in one word: neglect.
Old 03-29-2008, 08:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My dad uses "taking the dog for a walk" as an excuse 2 go and buy cider and drink it all before he gets home....How stupid does he think we are!
Old 03-29-2008, 09:25 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I went away for the weekend with some friends to the lake and my xabf stayed at my house to take care of my dog.....he had to work all weekend. Well I leave him alone for 3 days and the first day went well untill he decided to get drunk the remaining 2 days and he completely forgot about my dog. The poor thing I believe was in his kennel most of the time and I am almost positive that he did not take him out to go to the bathroom or feed him like he should have. I knew something was not right when I could not get ahold of him for 2 days.....I felt so bad for the little guy.....I sent friends over and everything but no one had a key to get into the apartment and I was 4 hours away and could not just leave to come home( I was with people that knew nothing about the alcoholism going on in my home).

Lets just say that it ruined my vacation.
When he was sober though.....he was great with my...." our" dog.
Funny what alcohol does.
Old 03-29-2008, 01:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm sorry your dog had to go through that, Designer. I finally started boarding my cats when I went anywhere or I took them with me to a pet-friendly hotel. A's don't get high scores for reliability ...
Old 03-29-2008, 01:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My brother has a rottie who gets far more love and attention from him than his kid does. He even takes it to the pub.