Notices

is my drinking "behaviorial"?

Old 03-27-2008, 03:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

is my drinking "behaviorial"?

hi, i am new and tired of lurking. i'm not sure if that even makes sense, but i can't tell if i'm drinking a beer because i'm bored, or if i'm rewarding myself, or because i feel like i have to or i won't get another chance, i dunno. i drink about twice a week, when i don't have to get up early. i don't feel sick if i don't have it- so i'm confused, and i go through the week fine until let's say friday rolls around then i look foward to it. i'm not going out and partying i'm here behind my computer or watching my tivo'd shows. i have a very heavy history of alcholism in my family. i laugh when i think about the post i read on here when i was lurking, "you know you'r an alcoholic when..." and one of the replies was "when you find yourself on here", or something to that effect, so i wonder how much truth is behind that! like i said, i'm not sure if there is even such thing as "behaviorialism" and drinking! so thanks, and -hi, everyone! lol
Old 03-27-2008, 03:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Try not drinking for three months and see how you go!

Seren
Old 03-27-2008, 04:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I think anything we do can be behavioral...Geez..I just had to check and see how to spell that...Anyway...Not sure what to say except keep posting and lots more will be along to help answer that better.
Old 03-27-2008, 04:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

thanks, that is all good advice!
Old 03-27-2008, 04:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, if you are wondering...stop for a fixed period and see what happens.
Old 03-27-2008, 04:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yeah, from your post, I would say No, but only you can be the judge if you think your drinking has affected you in a negative way.However, because of the family history, if it affected you emotionally,maybe you feel like you need some resources in recovery based on the history.Just a thought.
Old 03-27-2008, 04:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Just want to say Hey and Welcome

I had to laugh when I read your post about the other post.

Questions here are always welcome. Those who answered you had great advice.
Old 03-27-2008, 05:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

No one else can tell you if you are an alcoholic. I know with my kids, they are afraid to drink because they are convinced that they will be alcoholics. Other than myself there are numerous alcoholics in the family history.

Perhaps you are frightened of becoming one, or you are truly senseing there is a problem. Only you can decide that.

Like the others- I would suggest going for a period of time without drinking. If it causes you disscomfort, than you will have your answer.

Good Luck
Old 03-27-2008, 07:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome!
Old 03-27-2008, 07:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

hi - I was exactly where you are

I am the guy who started the post you are referring to.. I thought that I only drank a couple to times per week.

Someone told me that it was the frequency or amount one drank but rather the effects.

I stoped for 28 days, mostly by hiding in my room. Went back for a week. I could not believe that I simply could not just stop and not look back.

Now, I am cleand for 30 plus days (Dont really like to count them ---> Nothing is going to happen)

I do this by connecting with my HP every day, meetings 5 times a week, and redesigning my life so that it does not revolve around booze. (Still working steps 1 to 3).

So, in ending, I would suggest that you stop for some period of time and see how you do. You decide the time , make it real (not 14 days and not 14 years).

SR is always here for you to post often.

Good luck !
Old 03-27-2008, 07:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Naturally Occuring Phenomenon

Behavioralism (is that even a word? do we need anymore "isms"?) and drinking, now that sounds like something out of an advanced Psychology course or even 101. Could be a good paper topic. I already have a thousand questions spiraling around in my head just thinking about the topic, especially pertaining to myself. I know that drinking was ingrained right into my behavoir patterns even as I was a child. Drinking was everywhere in my family and it is everywhere on television/media etc. Perhaps it is a learned behavior. Infact, I'm pretty sure I learned it from my parents and family. However, many people who are true bred alkies probably don't even see the point in discussing such a topic because it is irrelevant. Alcoholic drinking is a destructive behavior & that's all that really matters. It causes all sorts of problems (we wouldn't be here if it did not). Anyways, good topic and question for discussion. I'm sure you could start researching this topic and find plenty of information about it. Welcome to the forum. Continue lurking & anymore thought provoking ideas like that, please share.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:21 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

thank you everyone for the nice welcome, and for the great replies. and sorry for all the spelling mistakes and all, i was very satifisfied with myself after i finally registered on this site and got into a hurry!
Old 04-03-2008, 11:05 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

maybe it is, maybe it isn't? i've drank twice since my original post, tonights the second night- but i didn't set a date, but like that matters? my son is gone tonight, and i "thought" it'd be okay, but my stomach is hurting cause i haven't eaten. but, i still feel obligated to finish this six pack (16 oz. beers), i'm glad i can be honest here.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:06 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

so now i'm sitting here listening to "ruby tuesday" yay, rolling stones- and not sure how i should feel about it, and i dunno.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:19 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

just wanted to say i'm sorry, for what i'm still not clear, but i feel like i should say it.
Old 04-04-2008, 05:40 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Well, I was kinda the same way. I would usually drink with my friend at least once during the week, then of course most Friday and Saturday nights if I was able. Never really thought about if I [I]needed[I] to drink, I just did. I ended up at this place because I decided one week that I wasn't going to drink through the week at all, and I made it 3 days and drank. The next morning, in a hungover fog, I found this place and decided it was timeforchange. =) Im learning so much about myself and this disease. I say you try to go a few weeks without drinking like others have suggested and see how you feel. Good luck with everything!